Torquay United v Gateshead - Saturday 22nd November

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Torquay United v Gateshead - Saturday 22nd November

Post by Colorado Gull »

(Apologies if there are any silly grammatical errors, this was rushed).

After a very frustrating 3-3 draw against Forest Green Rovers last Saturday, the Gulls are looking to bounce straight back with a secure victory over Gateshead. United played the away side on the first game of the season, losing 3-1. The visitors are in 4th position and have stayed around the top since the very start of August, so this will be a tough game. Torquay have a chance to go joint points with Gateshead if the home side win, so they’ll need all the support they can get!

Here’s how Gateshead looked in their last game against Chester, they lost 1-0.

01 Bartlett
12 Ramshaw (Heardman - 66' )
05 Curtis
06 Clark
21 Anderton
07 Oster (Finnigan - 71' )
16 Baxter
08 Turnbull
23 Rodman
25 Pattison Booked
29 Wright (Shaw - 76' )

Substitutes
02 Jones
09 Shaw
11 Finnigan
19 Rankine
22 Heardman

Curtis picked up a second yellow card and therefore will be suspended for the game on Saturday.

As for Torquay, we really need to sort out our style of play. If we kept attacking last weekend, we could have won by four or five, but we stepped back and let FGR get back into the game. We need a stronger defensive plan if we’re going to do that again. The back four should stay how it is, not sure if MacDonald is back or not, but Pearce should play anyway. Berry performed well, hoping for the same on Saturday! As for the midfield, Cameron has to be dropped. He’s got the potential, but for some reason, he isn’t performing and should be replaced. Niall looks unfit, not sure why Chappell is being ignored. Up front should stay the same, if Bowman is fit.

Rice

Berry
Pearce
Downes
Cruise

Ajala
Richards
Young
Cameron (should be Chappell)

Bowman
Briscoe

Substitutes
Seabright
Odofin (?)
Cameron (should be Chappell if not starting, but will probably be Niall)
Yeoman
Ofori

Let’s get behind the lads and hope for the victory.

COYY.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Chappell has a broken hand and hasn't been cleared to play yet
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Took a slightly different view to you Danny, I thought the team did continue to try an attack, the problem in my view was Ofori just didn't perform when he came on, that coupled with Briscoe who appeared to tire we naturally lost momentum, for me, instead of chasing the 4th goal at 3.1 we needed to see the team a little more disciplined and maintain their shape , but hey, it's gone and we all need to move on. Agree re; Cameron, think he's looked of colour in the last few games I've seen , carrying a knock maybe ? what's happened to Jordan Chapell who knows, pass on that one, but if fit would continue with Bowman/Briscoe up front.

As for the game, sadly going to miss this one, no protest, no boycott , there's a lot of home match's coming up and just can't afford them all, so it's a case of picking and choosing for me.

Edit, thanks for the answer re; Chapell.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Agree with Danny's team selection except for the subs. There should be midfield cover on the bench and if Harding is the only other midfielder we've got, then it will have to be him. I would also consider including Benyon in place of Yeoman ...... if nothing else, to raise Hector's blood pressure. :Z
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

tomogull wrote:Agree with Danny's team selection except for the subs. There should be midfield cover on the bench and if Harding is the only other midfielder we've got, then it will have to be him. I would also consider including Benyon in place of Yeoman ...... if nothing else, to raise Hector's blood pressure. :Z
like that, nice touch. :rofl:

although personally, I think he's past it. :-/
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Who's past it, Hector or Benyon ? :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Thought about going to this one but as we continue to flatter to decieve really. We really need another win.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

brucie wrote:Thought about going to this one but as we continue to flatter to decieve really. We really need another win.
Not at all helpful, considering every £ is crucial at the moment to secure Berry to an actual deal!

As an actual TUFC fan, I'll be at the game.
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Will be interesting to see how the pitch copes. Raining heavily at the moment and is meant to rain for a lot over the early hours of tomorrow.

Luckily the forecast is dry from morning to KO, which could be crucial!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

So will the new lad, Mcquilkin start?
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I always quite rated him at Hereford although he seemed to lose his way there a bit towards the end, a bit like the whole club really. Went to Walsall I think afterwards but obviously didn't really reach that top form, think he's still relatively young and probably worth a gamble.

imagine he'd be on the bench, Richards is in his first proper season as a regular starter and definitely hasn't hit the heights that he did to begin with, as to be expected really in a young lad making his way in the game.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 96605.aspx

for those who haven't seen the details yet !!
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

royalgull wrote:I always quite rated him at Hereford although he seemed to lose his way there a bit towards the end, a bit like the whole club really. Went to Walsall I think afterwards but obviously didn't really reach that top form, think he's still relatively young and probably worth a gamble.

imagine he'd be on the bench, Richards is in his first proper season as a regular starter and definitely hasn't hit the heights that he did to begin with, as to be expected really in a young lad making his way in the game.
Only article I have seen hinting at where McQuilkin plays (Walsall Express and Star) refers to him as a wide man? Is this right. Another winger?? Or can he do a job in centre midfield as well, royal?
Last edited by Rjc70 on 21 Nov 2014, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

forevertufc wrote:Who's past it, Hector or Benyon ? :)
both. :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Rjc70 wrote: Only article I have seen hinting at where McQuilkin plays (Walsall Express and Star) refers to him as a wide man? Is this right. Another winger??
Nah central midfielder from what i remember, may have played some games stuck out on the right but predominantly centre midfield i believe.