Torquay United v Forest Green Rovers matchday thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Torquay United v Forest Green Rovers matchday thread

Post by Gullscorer »

Torquay United v Forest Green Rovers, Saturday 16 November 2014, ko 3 pm.

I had a few spare minutes so I thought I’d bash this out to save others the trouble. As always, feel free to add your own thoughts and comments on the thread.

Fresh from their triumph away to Barnet this week, the Gulls are at home to Forest Green Rovers on Saturday, and this is going to be as tough a game for our lads as the one at Barnet, if not more so. FGR are the longest-serving members of the Conference and are making every effort to secure promotion to the Football League for the first time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Green_Rovers_F.C.

On Tuesday FGR drew 1-1 at home with Eastleigh, and though they were beaten 2-0 at home by Scunthorpe in the FA Cup first round, they are unbeaten in the league since a 2-1 defeat at home to Barnet on 27 September.

But three days after that game, they beat the Gulls 2-1 at home, and on 18 October they beat Bristol Rovers 1-0 away at the Memorial Stadium. Going back even further, FGR have suffered only two other defeats, at home to Wrexham and away to Nuneaton, early in September.

In our meeting at the New Lawn, moments after Krystian Pearce went close with a header, we went in front with a neat lob from Duane Ofori-Acheampong. Jon Parkin levelled for FGR from six yards before Courtney Richards, who set up the Gulls’ goal, saw a second yellow card for a foul on Norwood and we were reduced to ten men. After which Norwood met Elliott Frear's left-wing cross to seal victory for FGR.

FGR’s manager is Adrian Pennock, who played for Norwich City, Molde FK, Bournemouth, Gillingham, and Gravesend & Northfleet. He was manager of Welling United for two years before joining Stoke City to be first team coach. He left at the end of the 2012–13 season following the departure of Tony Pulis, and on 12 November 2013 he was appointed manager of FGR.

Current league positions: FGR are eighth in the table with 32 points from 19 games. The Gulls are ninth with 30 points from 18 games.

Teams last time out:

FGR: Russell, Pipe, Oshodi, Oliver, Stokes, Guthrie (sub Norwood), Kamdjo, Wedgbury, Frear, Hughes (sub Sinclair), Rodgers (sub Parkin). Substitutes: Bennett, Norwood, Kelly, Sinclair, Parkin. Players to watch: FGR’s top scorers are Hughes, Norwood, and Parkin, with six goals each.

Torquay United: Rice, Berry, Pearce, Downes, Cruise, Young, Richards, Cameron (sub Thompson), Ajala, Bowman, Briscoe (sub Ofori-Acheampong). Substitutes: Yeoman, Thompson, Seabright, Ofori-Acheampong, Odofin.

I expect Chris Hargreaves will make few if any changes to the side for this game. If other results go our way, victory here could see us back in the play-off positions over the weekend. Another important game. Turn up and support the lads.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Very difficult game against a team that WILL play the ref, we have to counter this as we know the criminals and fatties will use this to their advantage.

Me cynical? Never.

Lee Hughes on his way to Bristol Rovers? Family Club? Hmmmmm
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

This game is winnable. If we play well we win. They are really no great shakes and nothing to fear. Hughes hasn't been playing either due to a virus/or a fall out with the manager. He is 38 for christ sake so I say bring him back in not bothered at all.
Parkins a good player but his legs have gone. They are nowhere near as good as Barnet and won't get promoted with the team they have because basically its choc full of bog average players.
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Anyone know how the pitch is looking? I know it hasn't been played on, but it's taken a lot of water over the last few days, with more rain forecast today and tomorrow.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Forest gull will be coming Down the m5, first home game of the season.

Come on fellas, let's get behind the players, even those we don't like, just like at away games. Give Ricey a break, Cruise too. I keep reading that the players love the away atmosphere so let's do the same at home. Yes you too mr Bartlett !!!

Fingers crossed the game is on.....
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

brooker wrote:Anyone know how the pitch is looking? I know it hasn't been played on, but it's taken a lot of water over the last few days, with more rain forecast today and tomorrow.
Dry and sunny at the moment but more heavy rain forecast later.The groundsman has expressed his concerns about the number of home games we have coming up-basically saying the pitch has improved since last season but still isn't completely as they want it to be,and a mixture of poor weather and so many games at home in a row will be a big test for pitch and groundstaff.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Looking forward to this game tomorrow, I can't see this one falling to the weather but as suggested above, if the weather continues in this vein, coupled with the number of games due to played over the next few weeks the pitch will not have time to recover and we could see postponements down the line.

As for the team, my only concern as a fan is the form of Cameron, he's looked of colour for a few weeks now, is he carrying an injury perhaps? For me that's one position that might need a freshen up. Yes the two goals conceded v Barnet weren't pretty, but by and large our back four stood up to Barnet's attack containing some of the best forwards in the division, so no need to rush McDonald back into action, in my view.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

FGR fans have been saying for some time now that Hughes is past his best and should be dropped. Maybe he will at the end of the season.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Our away support was as good as their home crowd at FGR and we produced a great atmosphere. Hope the game is on and Chris keeps near the same formation and team. Hope that McDonald is fit and gets in the squad. Thompson could get a start as well. :keepie:
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Weather forecast is cloudy but mainly dry, even a sunny period or two. Anybody seen the pitch? It should have survived all the recent heavy rain showers but may be a bit on the heavy side. Whether it will survive all the forthcoming home fixtures is another question..
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Sunny morning here, rain wasnt that much last night
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

with the rain though came a lot of wind.(no not my curry this time). The wind will help dry the pitch out and that will be a savior of many matches if we have a lot of wet weather. I have a feeling that this winter we will see a lot of high winds
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Team today:

Rice
Berry
Downes
Pearce