Barnet v Torquay 11th November

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Just thought I would add that Berry had a good debut considering he has been out for a while. He also has a good throw in which is something different and missing from the early years of Nico.

Wasn't expecting him to be that good after some of the posts on here.
TUST MEMBER
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

krystian nearly didnt play due to illness so well done to him for sticking it out. up the gulls!
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

[quote="ROADRUNNER"]krystian nearly didnt play!
Yep-not easy playing when you've got the "trots"! :bow:
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:Really enjoyed a Torquay game for once. I thought it was a superb performance from the Gulls and lots of attacking intent too which has been alarmingly lacking for the past 2 or 3 seasons. If the defence can be a bit tighter then you'll always get goals at the other end and a play off spot will be a formality IMO. Saw some familiar faces in the away end when the cameras were on them, I'm sure they all had a good night as did Mr Bastard. Club legend.

On top of that I whacked a hundred quid on the Torquay win at 7/2 with Betfred so stick that in your pipe and smoke it Bix!! I didn't want to come on and tell you BEFORE the game as there is no way you would have won the game given my propensity to lose bets.

Briscoe looks a player, Young had a really dependable game, Downes is slow but a battler and will give his all. I thought CH made some positive changes re: subs when I perhaps thought he might try and shut up shop but brought on Thommo et al. Cruise to me looks the weakest link still, I watched him closely and his positioning at times was really poor. He battled and got some important blocks in when we were under pressure but his concentration and slowness will cost goals. A remnant of the last era that needs to be got rid of.

Pleased for you guys. If you can go to Barnet and get a win then anybody is beatable. The squad is there with CH adding some really decent players. Once the last of the dead wood is shifted then you can kick on. Play offs is a serious goal to aim for this season and from there who knows.
OOO R YA OOO R YA.... :lol:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

just waiting for York City to sign Billy Bodin when he's recovered from his knee surgery...it's called karma !!!! :clap: :rofl: :whistle:
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Southampton Gull wrote:They were beaten by a team that looked hungrier for the three points. In fact Barnet looked complacent but take nothing away from what was a very good performance by us. You seem loathe to credit the team, and consistency comes with experience and a settled team selection. Injuries and suspensions have put that on hold. I do wonder sometimes what people actually expect.
In all fairness you are probably right I look at the game from the managers point of view not a supporters as I've been involved for some forty years at quite a good standard. Sorry if I offend. :keepie:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

"I look at the game from the managers point of view not a supporters as I've been involved for some forty years" don't know you, you may have been, who knows.

You have this professional insight and knowledge of the game, yet in your match analysis you tell us; Pearce did ok but not back to his best, needs to sharpen up, you tell us Cruise needs to sharpen up also, you tell us Berry can build on his performance, and Rice will sleep better, your final point was, Barnet got no service to their strikers due to the weather. Seriously glaring contradiction for someone who looks through the eyes of a manager , after all if Barnet didn't get any service into their strikers, surely our goalkeeper and defence would have gone untested, you appear to have missed the fact Berry got across from the right back position on three separate occasions to prevent Barnet from creating a goal scoring opportunity.

You constantly drone on about how Ives is good enough so he's old enough, oh and thanks for that pearl of wisdom by the way. I doubt very much you've ever seen him train, forgive if I'm wrong, I'm not even sure you were at the Aldershot, but if you were, you've only ever seen him play one senior match, so please do tell on what evidence your basing your opinion that Ives is good enough on ? After all Nail Thompson had a dream senior debut and successive Tufc managers haven't looked at him as a first team starter since.

One final point arcadia, personally as a very lowly qualified football coach and current U18'S manager I often watch the videos back of TUFC games mainly on the goals scored and conceded just out of interest , so share your insight with me on Barnet's first goal, your clue, look between the goal line and penalty spot before the ball is flicked on, there were a few things I noticed , with I think may have caused CH to throw the hair dryer at more than one player.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Now Forever, don't be too hard on the poor old chap, with all that experience he's probably getting old and somewhat confused.. :~D
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Wasn't meaning to come across to hard on the arcadia .. :) but to say your opinions are formed through the eyes of a manager not supporter is some statement to make, would expect to see a lot more detailed analysis and explanation, and not opinions that appear to be plucked from the sky.

I would like to know how he has based his opinion on Ives being good enough on just one game, with that kind of foresight arcadia should be on Van Gaal's scouting team surely.

I'm no expert and have never claimed to be one, so I'm genuinely interested in his insight to Barnet's first goal, I mean many of us picked up on the individual error that led to their second, but I see individual errors made in top flight games that go unpunished, I think it's unfortunate when a player makes a mistake and it ends up in the back of your net, so often that doesn't happen, I would like to see if Arcadia's view on the first goal is similar to my own, personally might be a little harsh in my view point, but out of the two goals conceded the first Barnet goal is the one that needs some attention on the training round, as players will make mistakes, you can never odds that.
Formerly known as forevertufc
gurneygibbs23
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: jean pierre simb

Post by gurneygibbs23 »

Pearce at fault on both goals conceded. Decent player but always makes mistakes hence why he plays for us! A poor mans jon gittens. He is vastly overrated by our fans
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

gurneygibbs23 wrote:Pearce at fault on both goals conceded. Decent player but always makes mistakes hence why he plays for us! A poor mans jon gittens. He is vastly overrated by our fans
think youre being harsh.

hes hardly had any first team football......

he was sh1t at alfreton but played his part tuesday night - as for mr gittens, he f**ked up on several occasions too.

and as you put it - thats why he (gittens) played for us to.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

arcadia wrote: In all fairness you are probably right I look at the game from the managers point of view not a supporters as I've been involved for some forty years at quite a good standard. Sorry if I offend. :keepie:
nah, you dont offend - you just talk bo11ocks.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

God theres some tosh on here. Pearce has hardly played any football all season and was apparently ill before the game. He was facing Macdonald and Akinde who have been free scoring all season. Sure he made the slip for the second goal but Mensaah is quick and outpaced both Pearce and Berry (who himself hasn't played ANY matches this season.
With slightly more match practice for the aforementioned players we wouldn't have conceded that goal. Both players were excellent - cannot believe that Pearce is being criticised, it is nonsenscial.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

brucie wrote:God theres some tosh on here. Pearce has hardly played any football all season and was apparently ill before the game. He was facing Macdonald and Akinde who have been free scoring all season. Sure he made the slip for the second goal but Mensaah is quick and outpaced both Pearce and Berry (who himself hasn't played ANY matches this season.
With slightly more match practice for the afirementioned players we wouldn't have conceded that goal. Both players were excellent - cannot believe that Pearce is being criticised, it is nonsenscial.
well brucie i thought berry was the best player on the pitch by miles.

im sure that pearce was a different person never mind player from the plank at alfreton.......

TUST Member 468

arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: nah, you dont offend - you just talk bo11ocks.
NOT AS MUCH AS YOU