Barnet v Torquay 11th November

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Really enjoyed a Torquay game for once. I thought it was a superb performance from the Gulls and lots of attacking intent too which has been alarmingly lacking for the past 2 or 3 seasons. If the defence can be a bit tighter then you'll always get goals at the other end and a play off spot will be a formality IMO. Saw some familiar faces in the away end when the cameras were on them, I'm sure they all had a good night as did Mr Bastard. Club legend.

On top of that I whacked a hundred quid on the Torquay win at 7/2 with Betfred so stick that in your pipe and smoke it Bix!! I didn't want to come on and tell you BEFORE the game as there is no way you would have won the game given my propensity to lose bets.

Briscoe looks a player, Young had a really dependable game, Downes is slow but a battler and will give his all. I thought CH made some positive changes re: subs when I perhaps thought he might try and shut up shop but brought on Thommo et al. Cruise to me looks the weakest link still, I watched him closely and his positioning at times was really poor. He battled and got some important blocks in when we were under pressure but his concentration and slowness will cost goals. A remnant of the last era that needs to be got rid of.

Pleased for you guys. If you can go to Barnet and get a win then anybody is beatable. The squad is there with CH adding some really decent players. Once the last of the dead wood is shifted then you can kick on. Play offs is a serious goal to aim for this season and from there who knows.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

just got back...because attending the game meant that I had to spend the night away to be on time for a pick-up in Southampton this morning ! But well worth it ! Hope lots of people enjoyed watching it on TV, but actually being there was amazing, best away atmosphere since Pompey !!!!! THe Hive away terracing is well suited to amplifying noise, so it didn't matter so much that we were less in number than at Fratton Park. Thought all the players put in a good night's work, resulting in brilliant TEAM effort. Some people slating Ricey for the second goal on here; I thought that he did really well;his confidence seems to be restored, he came off his line well on several occasions. Mensah played well to score that goal. I appear to be agreeing with Brucie (may never happen again!) but we could have scored 5 or 6 with a bit more determination/luck/precision !It certainly never felt like we were going to lose the game, got a bit concerned that they might sneak an equaliser. I was getting texts at half-time from stay-at-home supporters worrying that we would not be able to keep up the momentum for the second half; on recent games' form, no; but hopefully this 'return of the team' from the earlier part of the season will endure ! Thought Berry fitted into the team really well. I expect Paul Bastard is still dancing around today, he was as he waved to us after the game ! COYYs !!!!!
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I don't think anyone actually slated Rice for the goal - it wasn't a mistake as such as the bloke was clean through. However on the slow mo Mensah scuffed the shot and it went through Rice's legs. Its just one that on another day he might well have saved.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

brucie wrote:I don't think anyone actually slated Rice for the goal - it wasn't a mistake as such as the bloke was clean through. However on the slow mo Mensah scuffed the shot and it went through Rice's legs. Its just one that on another day he might well have saved.
Although you did refer to it as 'another Rice mistake' last night.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

A great result but still showed up our weaknesses Pearce needs to sharpen up especially in the air McDonald has the edge on this performance. Cruise needs to sharpen up as well as there is a better fullback in the reserves. Berry did very well and can build on this performance, Cameron is struggling for form, could come good but how long do you wait.
Chris at long last had extra help in the midfield by playing Brisco off the front and Bowman up on his own. Brisco is wasted out wide as he can be a threat with his strength alone in a young side. :keepie:
I expect Rice slept a bit better last night and I hope he does for the rest of the season.
gurneygibbs23
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: jean pierre simb

Post by gurneygibbs23 »

Why was the 2nd listed as an own goal.... its either luke youngs or bowman if he touched it. It was on target when young crossed it
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Anyone know what the attendance was? Also how many TUFC fans?
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

official attendance on Barnet FC website given as 1745. Doesn't say how many of us though !
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Pearce marks out of the game the best striker in the division and needs to sharpen up. Rice makes literally no saves all night and is MOTM. Football's bizarre.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

ferrarilover wrote:Pearce marks out of the game the best striker in the division and needs to sharpen up. Rice makes literally no saves all night and is MOTM. Football's bizarre.

Matt.
Pearce did ok but not back to his normal self.
Their strikers did not have the service due to conditions. :keepie:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Their strikers did get the service, they were just dealt with. The conditions were the same for both sides so to make that comment is ridiculous.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

:goodpost:

There ain't no pleasing some people. Best team won last night, end of.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

gullintwoplaces wrote::goodpost:

There ain't no pleasing some people. Best team won last night, end of.
theres not doubt about that.........
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

It's always good to see weaknesses in victory as you will get carried away that you are better than you
really are. I have said it was a great result and we played well, but Barnet had an off day in my opinion and we took full advantage of it. If we can produce that kind of form on a consistent basis we would be top of the league and Chris has got to get that consistency back in the team. :keepie:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

They were beaten by a team that looked hungrier for the three points. In fact Barnet looked complacent but take nothing away from what was a very good performance by us. You seem loathe to credit the team, and consistency comes with experience and a settled team selection. Injuries and suspensions have put that on hold. I do wonder sometimes what people actually expect.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com