Torquay United v Grimsby Town – Saturday 18th October

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Outfield 10, brilliant. Totally dominated the game. Created chances, scared Grimsby to death at times. Midfield bossed it, did what they liked. Defence allowed one real chance all day, nullified what little Grimsby offered going forward.

Martin **** Rice, on the other hand... Useless ****, cost us 6 points and not fewer than 5 goals in the last fortnight or so. Back to hod carrying, dickhead.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

wivelgull wrote:So: who's the worst United 'keeper ever? Martin Rice or Mark Coombe (I'd go for Coombe.)
I see your Mark Coombe and I raise you Jamie Atwell.........
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

Another self inflicted defeat I'm afraid in a match that Torquay played very well for long periods but came away with nothing. Last week it was the central defence at fault and the bizarre selection of Richards as centre half. This week it was Martin Rice's turn who is now making a habit of handing goals to the opposition. Even the Grimsby supporters were signing "nice one Ricey....let's have another one". A great game for the neutral but another frustrating giveaway from a Gulls perspective. Crowd 2,353, 250+ from Grimsby, sponsors and Twitter MOTM deservedly going to Luke Young who added another stunner to his collection.

Torquay started fantastically and had chances galore in the first 10 minutes. I lost count of the times Torquay had decent efforts pushed over the bar by their keeper. Bowman had a close range effort kicked off the line. Grimsby had one effort from a header that was parried well from Rice but it was virtually all Torquay but no goal to count for all their early efforts. The game evened out more as the half wore on and on 38 minutes Grimsby took the lead from a quality volley just inside our penalty box that gave Rice no chance. This clearly annoyed Rice and a few minutes later Rice had a verbal at a home supporter for having a go at him for a poor clearance into touch. Young equalized curling a free-kick over the wall into the far corner of the net - another amazing effort. Just when it seemed Torquay had the impetus, Rice had a rush of blood right on half-time rushing to the edge of his area to gather a Grimsby through ball. He did not get there in time and it gave the Grimsby striker an easy task of slotting the ball into an unguarded net. A needless giveaway. It was quite ridiculous that Torquay went in at half-time losing bearing in mind all the chances and corners they had.The referee did not help matters in the first half by not spotting a couple of blatant Grimsby hand balls in their box, not booking any Grimsby players for rash challenges and then booking Torquay players Young and Tonge for trivial challenges - Young is now suspended next week.

Torquay had a very good attitude in the second half and got into Grimsby again. O'Archie replaced the quiet Cameron. O'Archie won a corner and Downes scored heading downwards from a Young delivery on 61 minutes. It was the least Torquay deserved. Again just when Torquay were building up a good head of steam for a winner, Rice again made a hash of things. A Grimsby header was saved low down however Rice carried the ball over his own line. This time there was no coming back. Chapell came on late for Ajala but there was not enough left in the tank for Torquay to pose much of a threat. If anything, Grimsby looked the more likely in the closing stages. There was still plenty of effort to the final whistle but Torquay's countless chances had already come and gone. It was a game Torquay should have comfortably won but instead lost. Sadly this is becoming a habit. There was stunned silence at the final whistle and then a decent applause for the Torquay players by the home support. In many respects it was an excellent performance.

Most outfield players put in very good performances. There was plenty of good movement and skills and plenty of chances created. Our central midfield pairing of Young and Richards looked very strong. Our defence looked solid and our full-backs had decent games. Ajala and Briscoe had their moments of skill. Sadly we did not convert enough chances and Rice's form is now very suspect again. You feel he will give away a soft goal at least one a game. Well today it looked like he was at fault for 2 goals that rocked Troquay out of their rhythm both times and in the end cost us 3 vital points. Surely it is time to give Seabright a chance in goal.
Last edited by Swanny on 18 Oct 2014, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Very well summed up "Swanny". Seabright does seem very young and I don't know how well he could handle the pressure.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Seeing as our next match is the FA cup match against Aldershot, surely a good match for Seabright to play in?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Just left feeling frustrated, walked away from the ground knowing we've lost a game that should have been won before half time, and yet again lost by individual errors. Can not fault our teams performance today, the desire was there, and we were treated to some individual skill from Briscoe, Young, Bowman and Cruise.

To me this was a tale of two goalkeepers , the Grimsby keeper has kept them in it, and won them the game, Ricey has lost us this game, with some awful goalkeeping, a real shame, he was playing well his confidence is shot to shat now.

The ball did go over the line, the fan reaction gave it away, every single Grimsby fan cheered that in the same instance, a dead give away, plus spoke to my Grimsby town mate, he said it was over but not by much. Comedy moment half way through the second half when the Ton fans started singing ' Nice one Ricey, nice one son'
Formerly known as forevertufc
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

In the first 5 minutes the Grimsby keeper made 4 good saves. We were dominant.
Luke Youngs equaliser was real class. Ronaldo would have been pleased it was that good!

The second Grimsby goal turned the match. Rice must be replaced. I am really sorry he has worked very hard but mentally he is not suited to professional football. He is either brilliant or terrible. At the moment he is in the phase of terrible. What is he going to do next? Throw the ball in his own net?

Surely we can find either an experienced keeper on loan or a very promising keeper at a Premier League club who needs games.

We cannot carry a keeper who is unreliable because eventually it affects the whole defence.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

23 points points required for safety!
Last edited by kevgull on 18 Oct 2014, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

ferrarilover wrote:Outfield 10, brilliant. Totally dominated the game. Created chances, scared Grimsby to death at times. Midfield bossed it, did what they liked. Defence allowed one real chance all day, nullified what little Grimsby offered going forward.

Martin f**king Rice, on the other hand... Useless ****, cost us 6 points and not fewer than 5 goals in the last fortnight or so. Back to hod carrying, dickhead.

Matt.
I remember you quoting we did not need Jake Cole from Plymouth even though he's better than Rice and Poke. Changed your mind! :keepie: :)
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Frustrating to watch the great Rice giveaway today as the team played well.

Had the early pressure and early chances but when you don't take them, it is always likely that the opposition will take their's and John-Lewis finished well. So right before half-time, another superb Young free-kick and just when you are thinking 'what a good time to score' a rather harmless looking ball played which should have been routine for Rice, but he dillied and dallied, lost his way and didn't know where to roam, so all at sea, the Grimsby player has an open goal. The Popular side was apoplectic and this was increased later, when despite Downes's equaliser and Torquay looking on top, what looked a fairly simple save to make, Rice allowed it to squirm under his body. Two of the three goals conceded, down to Rice and that makes around 6 or 7 he has been at fault for in recent weeks.

The very fact that Seabright has been second fiddle, suggests we need to go elsewhere for a keeper. Most people's misgivings about Rice have been confirmed and it would now be folly to persist with a player who, sadly, is a liability these days.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Until today, I had only half-heartedly agreed with Brucie about the failings of Martin Rice. The difference in today's match was that Grimsby had a 'keeper that brought off four top class saves in the first 20 minutes, especially saves from a MacDonald header and yet another blistering free kick from Luke Young. We on the other hand had Martin Rice who was responsible for two of their goals and his distribution was mostly poor.

Swanny in another excellent match report said that Rice had no chance with their first goal. From where I was standing on about the halfway line on the Pop side, it looked as if Rice was alarmingly slow coming off his line. What do others think who had a better view of the goal?

I don't agree that Seabright should go in goal next week 'just because it's a Cup game'. We need a decent cup run to boost the club's finances. But as others have already posted, if we hope to get in the Play Offs, we must bring in a 'keeper on loan. The Wrexham keeper who looked very competent was on loan from Stoke and I think he's only 19. Lincoln have a promising young keeper on loan from Birmingham. There must be good keepers out there who would rather be playing each week than sitting on the bench.

There was another difference today - Grimsby have John-Lewis who is a very good striker at this level. We on the other hand have Ryan Bowman. I'm sorry - I know there are several on here who think he's going to score 15 goals during the season. I'm not convinced. In fact, of all Hargreaves signings, I think he's been the one disappointment so far.

P.S. A word on the ref - personally, I thought he did reasonably well handling a highly charged match. I thought Tonge's booking was unnecessary - I think it was his first foul of the game - and also Young's booking which was right in front of us for a rather innocuous challenge which I think was Young's first foul
Their no 4 - Brown (who had a good game) should definitely have been booked for blocking Cameron (?) which lead to the free kick for Luke Young's goal. Penalty shouts for handballs would have been harsh and there were no appeals from our players.
Last edited by tomogull on 18 Oct 2014, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Really frustrating today. I thought we were the better team for large parts of the game and actually thought most, if not all, of the outfield players put in a real shift. A little disappointed with Cameron today and thought Bowman really should have got on the scoresheet as well ... something he hasn't done for a little while now.... which is disappointing.

On hearing the team today', I agreed with everything, bar one selection. Personally I would have picked Seabright ahead of Rice. Unfortunately, that selection decision, probably cost us the game as clearly he cost us two of the three goals conceded today. Whether Seabright is the answer I really don't know but given Rice's recent performances, Seabright has surely got to be sat on the bench wondering what the hell Ricey has got to do to give him the chance of getting a start ... I mean short of throwing the ball in his own net ... Oh, wait a minute, didn't he just do that???

I really don't like picking on individual players, but when the 10 outfield players were so badly let down by their goalkeeper today I think it is time for a change. You just get the feeling that, in recent weeks, all any opposing side has to do these days is get an effort on target and there is every chance that it will go in as quite simply Ricey ain't saving anything at the moment.

I'm not sure that Seabright is the answer, but Ricey has to sit the next game out as it seems his confidence is completely shot. His day today was summed up by that (straightforward) kick that went hopelessly into touch, not for the first time I might add, and the Grimsby fans inevitably took the piss out of him ....

We have conceded 10 goals in our last 3 away games and now 4 goals in our last 2 home games ... I would venture to suggest that you could make a case for Ricey being directly at fault for at least half of those goals!!! Simply not good enough, and it is undoing all the good work that the players in front of him are producing.

If there was a chance of doing it, I would send Ricey out on loan now and bring a "proper" keeper in on loan as I am not convinced that Seabright is the answer either but I really doubt that will happen as clearly the Board are only interested in cutting costs and saving money at the moment, as short sighted as that policy sadly is, but like I said after the game today .... if we had only have had someone of the quality of say a Bobby Olejnik behind the sticks this season I genuinely believe we would be top of the League now, or at the very worst second in the league.

Time for Greavsie to take action ..... and for the Board to start showing some real intent at supporting their young Manager ... something which has been sadly lacking in recent weeks with their penny pinching ways. :Oops:
Last edited by CP Gull on 18 Oct 2014, 22:35, edited 4 times in total.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Didn't hear much of the commentary today. Although from what I could glean the Grimsby keeper was saving everything and err Rice was his normal self. Looking at the small number of reports on here seem to confirm that Rice has lost us another three points. This is just massively frustrating as we are slipping down the league. We are now ninth which just isn't good enough.
Rice simply has to go - lets face it this was a massive error by Hargreaves going into this season with Rice as number one. It seems that Seabright isn't good enough otherwise Rice would have been dropped.
Clearly the board has to act and find money for a proper goalkeeper on loan. Rice has to be shipped out to Bideford or Dorchester.
He has never been a pro goalkeeper and never will be. It will be cheaper to get in a goalkeeper because if we don't we will lose more money through gate receipts.
This league is dire and maybe we cannot win it but the play offs should definately be achievable but we won't have a hope giving teams two goals start every week.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

I turned to my son after the game today and said that when Rice is at the top of his game he is OK but unfortunately when he is not he is poor, really really poor and unfortunately that is where he is at at the moment. I'm sure he doesn't need anyone telling him that, he will know that he has let his teammates down badly again today and unfortunately it has happened all too often in recent weeks and his failings, more than anything else in my opinion, are costing the team big time at the moment as we gradually slip further down the table after yet another defeat.

We deserve a lot better, and if Rice has anything about him he would hold his hands up and say that it is his own poor form that is letting the team down badly at this time. I noticed he remonstrated with Downes for their second goal .... which was out of order in my opinion, it was his mistake and he should be big enough to admit it!

Time for a "rest" Martin and if Greavsie continues to persevere with him then I would have to question his judgement too! Quite honestly, I would rather see Kenny Veysey in goal next week than continue with the liability that is Martin Rice! :@
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Rice, unfortunately, has always been a liability. When Buckle dropped Rsynor to persist with Rice during 07/08 it cost us so many points that we dropped out of title contention and who knows how many points he cost us last year. He is ok as a no.2 but he just isn't good enough to be 1st choice and Seabright probably isn't either.