Torquay United v Grimsby Town – Saturday 18th October

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Again missed the whole point of my post, why bother! Its not hard to grasp the sentiment of the post, it wasn't a pro Ricey post at all. As a team we are not as good as some of you think we are because you think the norm is the best performances, it isn't!
TUST MEMBER
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Martin Rice; great guy, brilliant shot stopper, but too many silly mistakes and has been a liability in the last few games. It's a shame, but he's cost us games and needs to be dropped (in my opinion).
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Neal wrote:Again missed the whole point of my post, why bother! Its not hard to grasp the sentiment of the post, it wasn't a pro Ricey post at all. As a team we are not as good as some of you think we are because you think the norm is the best performances, it isn't!
It could be that's true but had we won yesterday we would probably feeling pretty good about the side. The reason we didn't win, however was not do much to do with the outfield and more to do with the keeper, unfortunately.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

hector wrote: It could be that's true but had we won yesterday we would probably feeling pretty good about the side. The reason we didn't win, however was not do much to do with the outfield and more to do with the keeper, unfortunately.
And yet, had the strikers converted some of their chances, or the referee not allowed basketball style blocks in the 1st half, we could well have won despite Rice's error.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

i agree that ricey needs to be dropped as he has dropped a few howlers in the last few games, but im afraid some of the abuse spouted from mouths on the popside towards ricey was discraceful and made me embarrassed to be a torquay fan, ricey knows he has made mistakes but the abuse he recieves is a disgrace, and a certain ex bell ringing fan falls into the catagory as a complete and utter bellend! :@ :@
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

ferrarilover wrote:Outfield 10, brilliant. Totally dominated the game. Created chances, scared Grimsby to death at times. Midfield bossed it, did what they liked. Defence allowed one real chance all day, nullified what little Grimsby offered going forward.

Martin f**king Rice, on the other hand... Useless ****, cost us 6 points and not fewer than 5 goals in the last fortnight or so. Back to hod carrying, dickhead.

Matt.
Is that really the best you can come up with to enlighten those that weren't there to witness his performance?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Southampton Gull wrote: Is that really the best you can come up with to enlighten those that weren't there to witness his performance?
It's a pretty accurate description to be fair. If people weren't there it's all they really need to know!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Neal wrote:Some of the stuff written on here is total crap bourne out of frustration and a blinkered view of our performances. Rice was by popular demand our goalkeeping choice for this season, bar one Bruce who has never rated him and may be proved right in the end. Hard for some of you to swallow no doubt.

Everytime we lose its either a "bad day at the office" because lets face it we are Torquay United and are a good team or its bad refereering or its Martin Rice. Someone can't remember who and can't be bothered to check called me crazed for having the audacity to suggest we might not actually BE that good. We have some good players at this level there is no doubt, but as a team, and even during the recent good run, not EVERY one of those games were we top boll@cks!

There are people that think that if we play outstanding in a couple of matches that is the default, and then if we play badly for a couple that is not the norm, its either someone else's fault usually the ref or its a blip, ridiculous! We are the 9th best team in the conference up till now, that's it, FGR ARE better than us!

Our squad is not strong, but we do have 6 or 7 decent players. If CH had got in a more expensive GK then maybe we couldn't have afforded Luke Young, who knows. So I don't blame CH at all for having Rice as number one. But things have changed and maybe we should try Seabright, why not, unless you try him you will never know.
Bruce and I :keepie: I was a keeper and I watched Seabrights handling during the pre-match long ball kicking and all the balls he caught in front of himself not covering the ball with his body it makes me wonder! :keepie: When I read all the comments, I hope players don't read this as Rice would never recover :Z
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

Sunnysideup wrote: And yet, had the strikers converted some of their chances, or the referee not allowed basketball style blocks in the 1st half, we could well have won despite Rice's error.
That may be true but when a keeper makes mistakes it costs you the game - not always the case if a striker misses. We had already scored twice. We shouldn't have to be scoring three a game to allow Rice his usual errors.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

Sunnysideup wrote: And yet, had the strikers converted some of their chances, or the referee not allowed basketball style blocks in the 1st half, we could well have won despite Rice's error.
That may be true but when a keeper makes mistakes it costs you the game - not always the case if a striker misses. We had already scored twice. We shouldn't have to be scoring three a game to allow Rice his usual errors.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

ROADRUNNER wrote:i agree that ricey needs to be dropped as he has dropped a few howlers in the last few games, but im afraid some of the abuse spouted from mouths on the popside towards ricey was discraceful and made me embarrassed to be a torquay fan, ricey knows he has made mistakes but the abuse he recieves is a disgrace, and a certain ex bell ringing fan falls into the catagory as a complete and utter bellend! :@ :@
I would agree with you about the things being shouted at Rice. It is uncomfortable to be around and that particular supporter you refer to is renowned for it. Last game he was doing his best (not Rice, the bellringer, I'm talking about) to sound like a candidate for UKIP, going on about refugees and immigrants. Did make me think that if UKIP closing the borders, is to protect the sanctity of an English race, exemplified by the said Bellringer, then heaven help us.
Greybeardedgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Greybeardedgull »

I feel desperately sorry for Ricey as I do for all our players when they are slated by the people on this forum and I state people rather than supporters.

I am a Gull and he is costing us points. As a result we are dropping down the ladder. However, he is a human being and at this moment in time, he is in need of support, but he is not getting it.

Instead he is being raped on here by people who don't even know the meaning of support never mind having the quality of character to practice it.

There are a few people on here who need to revise their opinions or at least keep their opinions to themselves. I am in complete awareness and agreement that a forum is all about expressing opinions and ideas but slander, libel and direct abuse is out of order and if Ricey was one of mine, there are a few people on this forum who would now be in intensive care.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

We've started most games on fire and within the first few minutes have missed clearcut goalscoring opportunities. It's not all Rice's fault,however . . . . . . .

Rice out, Paddy Field in.

:devil:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Southampton Gull wrote: Is that really the best you can come up with to enlighten those that weren't there to witness his performance?
http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 23551.aspx

Happy to help. :~D

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Greybeardedgull wrote:I feel desperately sorry for Ricey
As do we all. His career is coming crashing to an end because his purple patch is over and he is back to being poverty standard.
Greybeardedgull wrote: I am a Gull
Bollocks. No way a bird can type, let alone use a computer.
Greybeardedgull wrote: he is costing us points.

At an alarming rate.
Greybeardedgull wrote: As a result we are dropping down the ladder.

Do you see why some are starting to lose patience? We're a football club, our currency is points. Imagine you start costing your boss whatever his currency is, would you expect to carry on consequence free? Do you imagine, perhaps, that the consequences would be more serious than being grumbled at by some strangers? I do hope the next word you type isn't "however"...
Greybeardedgull wrote: However

Bugger.
Greybeardedgull wrote: he is a human being

Which you cleverly deduced by being a bird. :-D
Greybeardedgull wrote: and at this moment in time, he is in need of support, but he is not getting it.

You spelt "the sack" wrong, don't worry, we know what you meant.

In all seriousness though, I can't speak for anyone but myself, but he IS getting support from me. Not on here, but on here, it doesn't matter. It's all bollocks spouted on the internet which he doesn't see and wouldn't care about if he did. Me and my poverty spec opinions are absolutely meaningless. I don't care what you (or anyone else) says about me on the internet, why would I? Similarly, Ricey doesn't lose so much as a wink of sleep if I call him a **** on here, or on Twitter (although I refrain on Twitter, because I genuinely don't want him to come across that and on Twitter, he just might). While I'm at the game, however, I won't hear a word against him. I'll call him all sorts in the car on the way home, but for those 90 minutes or so, and on every occasion that I meet him in person, he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Criticising people for having a go here is daft. Here is doesn't matter. Better here than in the street or from the terraces.
Greybeardedgull wrote: Instead he is being raped on here

I get banned from this corner of the internet on a fairly regular basis for being MUCH less inappropriate than this. You'll get away with it here, but out there (*points to the window*) this isn't the best choice of wording.
Greybeardedgull wrote: by people who don't even know the meaning of support never mind having the quality of character to practice it.

This is pretty much a personal attack on me. As you might recall from above, I don't care, but I am chuckling away to myself here at the idea that some happy clapping muppet might think he's somehow a "better" supporter than someone who quite rightfully criticises a player who is single handedly the difference between us being top and us being 9th. You can bet your arse that Paulie Bastard, were he here, would be calling Ricey all sorts of things. I guess that takes away from what little he's done for the club over the last 50 years or so?

Greybeardedgull wrote: There are a few people on here who need to revise their opinions or at least keep their opinions to themselves.

Kim Jong-Un, is that you?

The beauty of opinions is that they can be whatever the **** you want them to be and, here in the free world, no-one can require you to change them. My opinion is that Ricey has been **** useless over the last few weeks. If you want to "put me in intensive care" for holding that opinion, what the hell does that say about you?

Greybeardedgull wrote: I am in complete awareness and agreement that a forum is all about expressing opinions

Aah, contradiction, my old friend, there you are. You're fine with opinions, just so long as they align perfectly with yours.
Greybeardedgull wrote: but slander, libel and direct abuse is out of order

I really hope you aren't about to contradict yourself again...
Greybeardedgull wrote: and if Ricey was one of mine, there are a few people on this forum who would now be in intensive care.

Oh goody, I knew you wouldn't be able to resist.

A) Grow up, no one is impressed with your internet muscles. We're all laughing at you.

B) No, there wouldn't

C) Why? Because someone doesn't agree with you? Because you're somehow special and that specialness extends to "your clan"? Despite what your mummy told you, no one owes you anything. No one cares about you and you AREN'T special. You are entitled to hold opinions, even if they are distasteful. I (and others) are equally entitled to hold different opinions. If you can't deal with that, remove yourself from situations which actively invite the exchange of the same.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"