Torquay United v Grimsby Town – Saturday 18th October

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Torquay United v Grimsby Town – Saturday 18th October

Post by Colorado Gull »

Torquay United v Grimsby Town – Saturday 18th October 2014 – 3pm kick off

After another disappointing loss against the second worst team in the division, the Gulls are looking for some consistency and getting back to the winning streak. Our opponents are the team whom we played seven weeks ago and won 2-0, Grimsby Town. The Conference fixtures are very strange, playing twice so quickly in succession. The Mariner’s last game saw them victors away from home against Wrexham 1-0, scoring by a penalty. The away side for Saturday’s game are currently 11th but have a strong goal difference with +14, three better than ours. I’m not sure what their starting XI will be, but here’s how the away side looked in their most recent game:

01 McKeown
06 Magnay
05 Pearson
19 Parslow
03 Thomas
07 Mackreth
04 Brown Booked
16 Clay (Disley - 21' )
11 Neilson (Arnold - 64' )
14 John-Lewis
22 Nsiala

Substitutes
08 Disley
10 Hannah
20 Arnold
23 Oates
26 McLaughlin

Luckily for Torquay, we’ll be back with a full squad (I think) so we’ll be able to play our best side possible. Both MacDonald and Downes are back from suspension, Richards will be able to play in his normal position and hopefully perform better than he did against Alfreton. Personally, I’m bewildered why Hargreaves doesn’t play Chappell, he wasn’t even on the bench last Saturday! Courtney Cameron has been very lazy lately and I’d prefer to see Jordan there. Let’s hope Bowman has found his scoring boots because they’ve been missing these past few games. The big question...who will our centre back pairing be? In my opinion, I think Hargreaves will return to MacDonald and Downes and have Pearce on the bench, but it could be argued either way.

Rice

Tonge
MacDonald
Downes
Cruise

Cameron (I’d play Chappell/Ajala)
Young
Richards
Briscoe

Ofori-Acheampong
Bowman

Substitutes
Seabright
Pearce
Ajala/Chappell
Wakefield
Yeoman

I’m not sure if that’ll be the side, but it’s a rough idea. Try and get behind the lads and let’s hope for a win.

COYY.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

It seems a certainty that Macdonald and Downes will play at the back. The biggest issue for me is the goalkeeping situation.
Clearly Rice needs to be dropped because he is useless. If Seabright isn't good enough then we should get a proper goalkeeper on loan.
Rice was dreadful against Telford letting in three howlers. Arguably he was at fault for the first goal at Forest Green. He followed that up with another almighty clanger against Wrexham.
In the Alfreton match he made another almighty cock up but got off the hook when their goal got chalked off. Whilst not directly at fault for any of Alfretons four goals his general positioning was all over the shop and he looked like a sitting duck.
If he was in any other team he would have lost his place by now.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Rice
Tonge Downes MacDonald Cruise
Ajala Richards Young Cameron
Briscoe Bowman

I think the team picks itself for this match really. The only question mark is the Bowman vs O'Achie debate. Briscoe HAS to start up front, it's who partners him. I think I'd go for Bowman personally.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Who are our injury concerns??
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Bowman hobbled off on Saturday - is he now fit?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I would like to see...

Seabright
Tonge Macdonal Downes Cruise
Chappell Young Richard Cameron
Briscoe Bowman

However, with the exception of the centre-halves I expect the rest to remain unchanged with Rice and Wakefield keeping their places. I don't thing wither are bad players but Rice needs to be "rested" and Wakefield isn't suited to the role he currently has, when Richards and Harding are both fit he really shouldn't be keeping them out of the team.

I'm going for a 2-1 win here.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Clearly Rice needs to be dropped because he is useless. If Seabright isn't good enough then we should get a proper goalkeeper on loan.

Brucie your spot on. Rice has become complacent and needs a kick up his arse. He is a decent keeper but is making too many mistakes. Just look at hart at city.
Lucy
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

It's a grey start to the day and hope that doesn't reflect the mood of the Plainmoor crowd. Grimsby will be feeling confident after their last game, so we mustn't let nerves creep into our young players. Hope we have a positive and encouraging response from the fans, because this Torquay team can play some good exciting football. Please remember that and keep believing. Also hope that the crowd don't turn on Ricey, he responds much better to cheers and will get nervy with negative noise.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

under 2000 in the home ends today i fear

tough game but with two real central defenders i feel we'll keep a clean sheet again at long last, whether we can score at the other end remains to be seen, altho that obviously isnt normally a problem. not too confident but i'll say 2-0 briscoe and richards, by way of an apology for last weekend!

off out on the sauce as 2pm, the harlequin, so wont be on here for a single second of the game today, fingers crossed
Last edited by bixieupnorth on 19 Oct 2014, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
still keeping the faith
njgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by njgull »

Rice
Tonge
Downes
MacDonald
Cruise
Briscoe
Young
Richards
Cameron
Bowman
Ajala

Subs: Seabright Pearce Chappell Wakefield Ofori-Acheampong
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Please can it be Briscoe up front and Ajala on the wing...
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Anyone having trouble with the como?
njgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by njgull »

Dave_Pougher wrote:Anyone having trouble with the como?
I wish. Here's what I'm hearing: "Torquay dominating, it's all Torquay, Torquay are all over them, Torquay should have had 2 penalties, Torquay should be ahead 6-0, goal to Grimsby."
njgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by njgull »

And just then another Young free kick goal. Yay.

But he got another stupid yellow card and is suspended for the FA Cup game. Boo.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

njgull wrote:And just then another Young free kick goal. Yay.

But he got another stupid yellow card and is suspended for the FA Cup game. Boo.
Thats quite clever I'd say. Much rather have him available for the league games. Obviously the FA Cup could be a nice little money-spinner for us, but Aldershot away was a tough draw Young or no Young so there were no guarantees.

Much rather see us push on today and get a result, then park the bus at the Rec next weekend!