Forest Green Rovers v Torquay United – Tuesday 30th Sept

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

Glostergull wrote: we could have had come faggots chips and peas
yak! i dont mind faggots chips and peas but i'd rather have brown sauce if its ok with you!!
still keeping the faith
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Even from the radio commentary its normally possible to glean that the refereee is likely to do something ridiculous. I forecast it would happen at half time and it did.
I guess it was their first goal that caused the controversy.
If you watch it again before the goal when the ball comes across the six yard box in front of Rice the FG player is clearly in an offside position.
Parkin is then clearly offside when he puts the ball in the net.
Quite what the linesman is doing goodness only knows but he has missed two offsides not one.
The winning goal also looks a clear foul on Macdonald to me. Their player looks to have no hope of getting the ball otherwise.
The sending off looked completely innocuous to me. Alot has been made of our indiscipline but I didn't actually see to much of that from our players in the highlights.
We might not have played that well but obviously key decisions have cost us the points. The first goal in particular should never have stood in a month of Sundays.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Sort it out CH this is getting embarrassing. 3 sent off in 2 games and you setting a good example.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

From a totally unbiased point of view I really think Brucie is clutching at straws on both goals because IMO there is nothing wrong with either. At worst Parkin is level with Rice and also possibly the Torquay player on the left of the picture. As for the second goal all I can say is that if he thinks there was a foul there then EVERY cross that goes in and is challenged would be a foul.
Is Brucie making his comments based on listening to the radio? To say you can tell by a Radio Commentator if the referee is going to make bad decisions that is ridiculous because most commentators are biased and generally as likely as a spectator to get it wrong.
I went to Eastleigh last night and can assure Brucie that referees in general in this league are atrocious but you will get plenty of decisions go in your favour (I hope) over the season. I also remember Brucie from our game last season blaming the referee but at the end of the day I think you have to look beyond the referee and for the first goal last night it was atrocious goalkeeping and poor marking. In the same way our first sending off last night of our goalkeeper was down to an awful pass from our player. Whether Mildenhall got to the ball first is the thing in question over the refereeing and it is too easy to be biased in an opinion to say that!!
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

CP Gull wrote:It's funny how you get an impression of a game while listening to a radio commentary ... which was that we were robbed by poor refereeing decisions for the two goals and that our indiscipline cost us again with Richards sending off.

Then you get the chance to look at the highlights and I come away with the impression that I didn't see too much wrong with either of their goals BUT I do think that the sending off of Richards was an extremely poor decision and don't think that has anything yo do with indiscipline ... just a poor decision from a referee who has probably never played the game!

The first goal, is in my opinion, another Ricey mistake! Poor positioning has made what should have been a straightforward save more difficult and yet even then he should have done better than parry it. Whilst there DOES appear to be an FGR player in an offside position, it doesn't appear (to me at least) to be the goalscorer (Parkin) although the player concerned is stood in the middle of our six yard box ... but could be deemed as not interfering with play under the present rules, daft as that sounds!

As for the second goal, it's not clear whether there was a push or not from the highlights, but what is clear is that the ball was given away too cheaply up the pitch by Tonge which caused us the problem in the first place! Likewise, Cruise should have been more alert to the situation and not given Norwood the space in the box.

As for the Richards sending off, well all he has done is attempt to bring a ball that is about waste high under control. He has done that, but an FGR player has come in from the side and got knocked over. Richards has not gone in over the top with the player in his sights, he has simply made a genuine attempt to control the ball. RIdiculous!

On a positive note, the goal from Ofori-Achiempong was superb. Great work from Richards to win the ball in midfield (although given what he was sent off for I am amazed this particular referee allowed it!)
and a really composed finish from the big man ... just a shame his booking will mean he will have to sit out Saturday now.

I also thought, from the brief highlights, that we looked the better footballing side and actually created the better chances on the night and if we hadn't of been unjustly reduced to ten men would surely have gone on to claim at least a point, if not all three. Ah well, time to move on, a very tough game on Saturday and would probably take a draw now to be honest as we don't want to go LLL so soon after WWWWWW! Strange old game, isn't it!
Everybody thought the first was offside, although its not clear from the replay. Nobody complained about the second other than the defending. Either way, we were not the better side by any stretch. FGR knocked it around well, and the second goal was coming before the sending off. Once they got it, we created very little.

We had a few corners, none beat the first man.

Yeoman had one good run when he came on, and probably desrves a run out Saturday, he didn't have much time to make an impact.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Kernowgull wrote: Everybody thought the first was offside, although its not clear from the replay. Nobody complained about the second other than the defending. Either way, we were not the better side by any stretch. FGR knocked it around well, and the second goal was coming before the sending off. Once they got it, we created very little.

We had a few corners, none beat the first man.

Yeoman had one good run when he came on, and probably desrves a run out Saturday, he didn't have much time to make an impact.

Everybody ..... apart from the two people that mattered, it seems!

Take your point, regarding us not being the better side, like I said it is only based on those 5 minutes of highlights .... although if those are comprehensive in terms of near misses, I still think we had the better chances overall as most FGR efforts seemed to be scuffed shots that went well wide or over.

Surprised that our corners were so poor as Young's delivery from these has been so good of late.

As for Yeoman, it will be interesting to see if he does start on Saturday, as while O'Achie and Richards will have to sit this one out, we do have the option of bringing in Wakefield and the returning Ajala, who could play a central supporting striker role - if not, he could always switch to the wing with Briscoe playing through the middle, which I think would be my preferred option.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I am not clutching at straws at all. On saturday we lost because our keeper let in three howlers. So whether we had two players sent off that didn't really contribute to the defeat.
To say that Parkin wasn't offside for their goal is completely ludicrous. Whether its atrocious goalkeeping or not is irrelevant.
As I said when the ball came in fromn the left before the goal their player is clearly offside in the six yard box.
Whilst I wasn't at the game I am given to understand that the linesman was about to flag for offside but then changed his mind when the ref gave the goal.
Is it any wonder that Hargreaves went mental.
Take another look at the second goal - MAcdonald is clearly impeded.
As for the sending off - well that is just pathetic as well.
To suggest that the ref had no part in our defeat last night is just laughable.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Must say that the second yellow for Richards there looks a lot less dangerous than it did last night from behind the goal. We all thought he had caught him on his leg with his studs, but it looks like his thigh has hit him there. If you add that to his first booking (which was a bit harsh too) then I think he can count himself unlucky.

As for the goals, looks like 2 offsides not just the one for the first goal. Something you may not be able to see from the footage is that Tonge was actually behind the goal line and off the pitch when the shot was taken, so even if parkin was level with rice he's still offside.

Someone mentioned above about our chances, but you will notice we have basically none in the second half bar a young long ranger. Also, they had a few more of those edge of the box shots so they had more than it shows on the highlights.

We scored the best goal though!
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

The FGR number 28 is clearly in an offside position, stood in the middle of the six yard box, behind Rice but in front of our player on the line. The point is, is he interfering with play? In the "good old days" that would clearly have been offside and the goal disallowed ... nowadays I'm not so sure!!!

Any of the referees on here like to pass comment?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes you can see that Tonge is behind the goal line. You don't need a ref the bloke is clearly offside and the goal shouldn't have stood. Its not even marginal or debatable. Its just a shit decision by shit officials.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Brucie, people who were at the match, have not said the ref played no part. I have said we cannot blame the ref, when we have played so poorly. Yes, if the ref had disallowed both goals, not sent Richards off, and the rest of the game had played out exactly as it did, we would have won 1-nil. Equally, if we'd defended like a competent football team, we'd have also won 1-nil. If we'd have passed the ball with the quality we have in earlier games, we could have won 3-2.

None of that happened, you cannot blame the ref for a defeat when you have been so poor yourself.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

He looks level to me. The other player in the middle is not interfering with play.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Surprised that of the 400 fans who went to the match last night (fantastic support, by the way), only RJC has posted on the MOTM thread. Were we really THAT bad ?? Interesting to see that RJC included Pearce and Briscoe in his five - very little has been said how Krystian Pearce played. Up to his silly sending off, Downsey was having a good season. Was he missed last night or did Pearce step in and do a good job, considering he hasn't played in a competitive game (apart from 'development' games) all season ?
Mr Burnz
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sako

Post by Mr Burnz »

We were crap.
Ref was crap.
Lino was crap.
Home support has crap.
Veggie Burger I had was crap.

Roll on Wrexham saturday.
tomogull