Forest Green Rovers v Torquay United – Tuesday 30th Sept

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Once is a mistake ...twice is careless
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

FT 2-1

FFS
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

I agree but we are a work in progress. People are forgetting that because of the run we have been on.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

SteveDeckchair wrote:I agree but we are a work in progress. People are forgetting that because of the run we have been on.
:goodpost:
TUST MEMBER
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

SteveDeckchair wrote:I agree but we are a work in progress. People are forgetting that because of the run we have been on.
This

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Take the ups with the downs. Still in the top 5 (much higher than I thought we would be) but the discipline needs to improve big time. It's costing us points and now two more players are out for saturday.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
njgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by njgull »

It's true that you're never as good as you look when you're winning and never as bad as you look when you're losing. The sky is not falling because of the last 2 games. What is worrying though is that it seems we are losing not because we're not good enough but because we're not smart enough. If the players are good enough, and prior results seem to indicate they are, they'll start playing better. But are they smart enough to play less stupidly?
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Brizzle had two sent off ..........Perhaps not just us !!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

It's disappointing to have lost two games in a few days, especially when you consider we have lost to Telford and Forest Green (who despite their money, are still Forest Green) - a real reminder of where we sit in the scheme of things. It's ok in the Conference when you are beating all of these little teams but it suddenly does not feel very nice when you lose to stalwart non-league teams - especially when it sounds as though, in both cases, it was somewhat avoidable.

Wrexham have jumped above us to 3rd, so it illustrates that saturday could be tough with a much weakened team.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Clearly teams are playing the ref and we cannot seem to cope with it. If the oppostion has scored a winning goal which appeared to have been a blatant foul you can only question the referee - not our players.
There was some suggestion that their first goal was offside, and also the ref ignored an elbow by one of their players.
He has also gone on a booking spree against our players whilst apparently ignoring fouls by them.
With all our players surrounding the ref at half time and Hargreaves being sent off it seems to me to be a reasonable assumption that that the referee hasn't officiated impartially.
Clearly something has happened to kick it all off - you cannot merely dismiss it all as indiscipline. We are entitled to expect the referee to officiate the game properly.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes thats fair comment - FGR are a mickey mouse team. Its galling to lose but lets be fair you could anticipate what was going to happen at half time. Referee was a liability.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

hector wrote:It's disappointing to have lost two games in a few days, especially when you consider we have lost to Telford and Forest Green (who despite their money, are still Forest Green) - a real reminder of where we sit in the scheme of things. It's ok in the Conference when you are beating all of these little teams but it suddenly does not feel very nice when you lose to stalwart non-league teams - especially when it sounds as though, in both cases, it was somewhat avoidable.

Wrexham have jumped above us to 3rd, so it illustrates that saturday could be tough with a much weakened team.
I don't see how it is a much weakened team, ajala is back after serving a one game ban, wakefield is as good as Richards otherwise he wouldn't be at Bournemouth and Pearce is as good as or if not better than downes so apart from dwayne getting sent off I'm not worried about the replacements.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

hector wrote:It's disappointing to have lost two games in a few days, especially when you consider we have lost to Telford and Forest Green (who despite their money, are still Forest Green) - a real reminder of where we sit in the scheme of things. It's ok in the Conference when you are beating all of these little teams but it suddenly does not feel very nice when you lose to stalwart non-league teams - especially when it sounds as though, in both cases, it was somewhat avoidable.

I don't see how it is a much weakened team, ajala is back after serving a one game ban, wakefield is as good as Richards otherwise he wouldn't be at Bournemouth and Pearce is as good as or if not better than downes so apart from dwayne getting sent off I'm not worried about the replacements.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I think the problems started with the loss at Telford - this was a game we just should not have lost. They lost again at home tonight. On an unbeaten run it really was an atrocious defeat. Had we won on Saturday I doubt we would have lost tonight.
Pearce is as good as Downes but the advantage that Downes had was that he had played nigh on a dozen games of first team football whilst Pearce has played 2 minutes. Briscoe also hadn't played for a month.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Sadly, we did not lose that because of the ref, we lost because we were dreadful after we went ahead. I do think the first was offside, but would need to see it again to be sure, but the second we gifted to them. Tonge gave the ball away dreadfully in a dangerous area with a poor header. The first, as I said, may have been offside, but we had ample chances to clear.

Every clearance in the second half was panicked, we didn't string one move together second half. I think Bowman touched the ball twice second half. O' Achie was clearly struggling for a while before he went off. Rice's kicking was poor, Young was barely at the races, bar one thunder bolt that their keeper made a great save from. Richards was our best player until he got sent off. I didn't see the incident that well, so can't comment on the second yellow.

Pearce did ok, as did Gus, but Gus looks like a booking waiting to happen.

our goal was lovely, but the lack of depth in the squad is being stretched already, and I think some of our lads are knackered, which is worrying.

not sure if Gus is now suspended, but if we are to compete in the play offs, we need another cb, and another forward.

Thought Briscoe did well, but he needs to shed a few pounds.

Disappointing all in all today, but FGR could bring Hughes off the bench. I wouldn't want that pillock here, but that calibre of player on the bench shows how weak our squad is.

Sorry about the jumbled report. Long day!!