Forest Green Rovers v Torquay United – Tuesday 30th Sept

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Sunnysideup wrote:Well i've looked again at the highlights and would say on balance, it may well have been a booking. Had the same thing happened to one of our players in front of the pop side, where the opposition player has his foot knee high, with studs facing our player and catches him after missing the ball, the fans would have been venting their spleen at the officials for not even brandishing a yellow card (and yes, i know weve seen fouls worthy of a yellow that hasnt been given).
If a foul is worth a yellow card, its worth a yellow card. The fact that it's a 2nd has no bearing on if it gets waved again.
With the greatest respect Sunnyside, I think you're missing the point. Are we now saying that players can only attempt to control the ball IF AND ONLY IF It is on the ground! Clearly, all Ricahrds has tried to do is bring a bouncing ball under control, he has not done that when the opponent is directly in front of him and in his clear line of vision. The opposing player has competed for the ball from a side on position and in the course of making the challenge has come off second best. A free kick maybe, but personally I'm not even sure that was justified, but in my opinion ( and it appears that of Chris Hargreaves) there is absolutely no attempt made by Richards to harm the player, just an honest attempt to win the ball.

The game has become so much less physical over the years, most of which I agree has been for the good of the game, but let's not completely take away the physicality of what is after all supposed to be a competitive sport. if players are not allowed to try and make a genuine attempt to control a ball then before you know it the authorities will make it illegal to tackle and it will become a non contact sport altogether ...
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

The podcast makes interesting listening with Dave Thomas giving the referee a fearful shellacking. His view was that it was never a sending off. Apparently the ref Rob Whitton has been stuck in the Conference for ages because he is too useless to go any higher.
I didn't realise that Hargreaves was forced to watch the game from inside a glass door at the corner of the ground from where he had little view of the match.
He was prevented from sitting in the stand by three stewards.
What an absolute farce - when has that happened before? - managers are usually allowed to view matches from the stand - they are just not allowed on the touchline.
What a bell end this ref is - lets rememeber his name and if he rocks up at Plainmoor this season lets hope he gets some persistent dogs end abuse. Tosser.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

Im not missing the point at all Chris. Richards attempted to kick the ball, missed the ball and caught the opponent, with his boot around knee level. If that happened to one of our players at home, the fans would be baying for a card. The fact that it is or is not intentional makes no difference.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
Maxiboy1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Loram

Post by Maxiboy1 »

Agree with comments from CP Gull. These days it is amazing how many 'soft' yellow cards are given, leading to reds and ultimately effecting the outcome of matches. This modern way of officiating games is penalising players far too often and I have felt for sometime now that the rule makers have got to give the players a chance. Change from 2 yellows to 3 before you are sent off! Might help with consistency for referees as well. Started watching football in the 80's, Richards foul back then would have just been a simple free-kick. Don't like the way football is going personally.