AFC Telford United v Torquay United - Saturday 27th Sept

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yep it is only one game, and it's right not to blame tiredness and preparation whole heartily for this defeat, but it is a factor, any, even lowly qualified coach will tell you preparation can have a bearing on a performance, bad preparation=bad decision making.

Matt, what happen with the spotty mob read something on facebook, were they fighting amongst themselves , or trying to have a go at the other side ?
Formerly known as forevertufc
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Nothing like one defeat, after an excellent unbeaten run, to bring out the end of the world doom merchants.

Bad day at the office. We move on.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Unbeaten run over time to start the next one!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Nothing like one defeat, after an excellent unbeaten run, to bring out the end of the world doom merchants.

Not arguing that point Scott, your right, we're in a much better position than, I/most thought we'd be in, personally delighted about that, but I believe there are underlying issues, if there not addressed the club we all support is not going back to the football league any time soon, with out a stroke of luck.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Sorry Dave, should have been a bit clearer. I'm more than aware of the goings on off the pitch, and I agree with you.

I was aiming it at those who suddenly think our season is almost over, and that the next couple of games are "must wins" etc etc.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Sorry Dave, should have been a bit clearer. I'm more than aware of the goings on off the pitch, and I agree with you.

I was aiming it at those who suddenly think our season is almost over, and that the next couple of games are "must wins" etc etc.
No worries mate, just didn't want anyone thinking I was beeing a doom and gloom merchant, I want this club to succeed, and it's gutting to think that decisions made off the field, may hold it back.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

forevertufc wrote:Yep it is only one game, and it's right not to blame tiredness and preparation whole heartily for this defeat, but it is a factor, any, even lowly qualified coach will tell you preparation can have a bearing on a performance, bad preparation=bad decision making.

Matt, what happen with the spotty mob read something on facebook, were they fighting amongst themselves , or trying to have a go at the other side ?
The Telford knob....s where no saints either the stewards just let them wind us up, and when the players can't set an example how can you expect the pissed up youngsters to behave. They where clearly pissed entering the ground, so to continue to sell alcohol during the game is asking for it. I tried to video the unsavoury scenes but was told not too. There was not 1 police officer in the ground.
Lucy
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

For me, today was just always going to happen. I perhaps never imagined the circumstances, nor the fact that we would throw away a lead but I think after the high energy football of the last few weeks, such a young side was always going to run out of steam - in fact, I imagine we will lose on Tuesday and in retrospect the indifferent performance at home to Dover may be seen as the start of a patchy bit of form. But what else can we expect? Our team is so young that results like this will occasionally happen.

The players and manager have done brilliantly well and the main thing now is for CH to keep his head and not start chopping and changing as he did last season when results went wrong. It may be that a suspension for Ajala may give him the rest he needs, likewise Downes, and a restored Pearce, with a point to prove, may be a blessing.

If the club did travel today, then the two long away trips on the day (Dartford/Telford) compare unfavourably in performance to the matches at Lincoln and Grimsby. That surely is enough for those in charge, professing to have promotion ambitions, to consume some food for thought.

The players are entitled to an off-day after the way they have played for the last 10 games, and hopefully, at the very least at home next Saturday, supporters will get behind this young group of players.
Ludlow Gulled
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Ludlow Gulled »

My first viewing of the new look team today. Slightly underwhelmed tbh by performance and result but I can live with it being an 'off day'. Telford were direct, physical and set out to rattle us - successfully, as it happens. They worked the ref pretty well but I can't argue with either sending off. A bit naive from both players. Like Downes, I also wanted to kick their right back in to Row Z with his frustrating ball-ushering but he was only doing what you'd hope your right back would do if you were a goal to the good with little time remaining.

Their goals were helped by poor defending all round. Downes seemed to be our only defender who can meet the first ball with any conviction and even then some of his attempted clearances were a tad pathetic. Cruise clearly doesn't like heading the ball at all but I thought he looked decent in possession and I'm a fan of the beard. I thought Tonge was alright in the first half but the whole back four were turned and dragged apart far too easily. They also looked shaky on most set pieces.

The midfield played their part in our defensive atrocities. They were a bit guilty of trying to play the ball in the wrong parts of the pitch and as a result putting us on the back foot defensively. Chappell lost the ball too often trying to take the ball past his oppo. Up front, I thought Bowman was quite anonymous. O'Achie was in the thick of it most of the time and is a right menace but some of his 'tricks' were laughable - he's one of those players where the last place you want him with the ball is in wide open spaces!

All that said, I am not in the state of despondency that perhaps I should be after losing to bottom of the league side while conceding 4 goals. We were the better football team by miles (albeit inconsistently today) and when our tails were up, our one-touch game looked great and left them for dead. I love our ambition. Everyone looked happy to have the ball and were always looking to attack. The movement and build up play was impressive even if the end product was lacking - but (reality check) this is the Vanarama conference and we can't expect it to work every time. Enough evidence to suggest it will happen a lot of the time though and presumably, we will get better over time. Every player looks totally up for it and subs made a positive contribution. I think a good season awaits. We'll probably play worse than that and win.

Odd mood in the crowd. Partly in response to an odd game but also partly as a result of the spotty knobs and their antics. I wonder if they did get the fight they so desperately wanted outside and how they got on? Mmmm.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

What a shambles! :-(

All the recent good form went out of the window from the first whistle and I think the team turned up thinking it would be a walk over. It's not unusual for fans to get carried away but today the players looked like they were believing the hype and they need to remember that medals aren't dished out in September.

The defence looked worse than fragile. Every time the ball came into the box, I shuddered. Richards and Young didn't dominate like they have in the last few games and up front O'Achie was terrible. Bowman worked hard and deserved more but as a team we were shocking.

As for Downes, I have no sympathy. He rushed in with a reckless assault on the full back when the game was lost and time was almost up. Absolute muppet and I'm glad that Pearce will now get a run of games. Downes kept his head down as he walked past but he should have sprinted for the dressing room. Why did people clap him off? How can you applaud somebody for getting sent off unnecessarily and losing us a player for the next 3 games?

Thankfully, this should be a blip in what, I believe, will generally be a positive season.

Thinking twice about going to FGR on Tuesday though :-(
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

brentwoodgull wrote:My first viewing of the new look team today. Slightly underwhelmed tbh by performance and result but I can live with it being an 'off day'. Telford were direct, physical and set out to rattle us - successfully, as it happens. They worked the ref pretty well but I can't argue with either sending off. A bit naive from both players. Like Downes, I also wanted to kick their right back in to Row Z with his frustrating ball-ushering but he was only doing what you'd hope your right back would do if you were a goal to the good with little time remaining.

Their goals were helped by poor defending all round. Downes seemed to be our only defender who can meet the first ball with any conviction and even then some of his attempted clearances were a tad pathetic. Cruise clearly doesn't like heading the ball at all but I thought he looked decent in possession and I'm a fan of the beard. I thought Tonge was alright in the first half but the whole back four were turned and dragged apart far too easily. They also looked shaky on most set pieces.

The midfield played their part in our defensive atrocities. They were a bit guilty of trying to play the ball in the wrong parts of the pitch and as a result putting us on the back foot defensively. Chappell lost the ball too often trying to take the ball past his oppo. Up front, I thought Bowman was quite anonymous. O'Achie was in the thick of it most of the time and is a right menace but some of his 'tricks' were laughable - he's one of those players where the last place you want him with the ball is in wide open spaces!

All that said, I am not in the state of despondency that perhaps I should be after losing to bottom of the league side while conceding 4 goals. We were the better football team by miles (albeit inconsistently today) and when our tails were up, our one-touch game looked great and left them for dead. I love our ambition. Everyone looked happy to have the ball and were always looking to attack. The movement and build up play was impressive even if the end product was lacking - but (reality check) this is the Vanarama conference and we can't expect it to work every time. Enough evidence to suggest it will happen a lot of the time though and presumably, we will get better over time. Every player looks totally up for it and subs made a positive contribution. I think a good season awaits. We'll probably play worse than that and win.

Odd mood in the crowd. Partly in response to an odd game but also partly as a result of the spotty knobs and their antics. I wonder if they did get the fight they so desperately wanted outside and how they got on? Mmmm.
:goodpost:
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Nothing like one defeat, after an excellent unbeaten run, to bring out the end of the world doom merchants.

This
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

It was a group of Green Street wannabes trying desperately hard to look as though they really wanted a fight with about 3 Telford fans. If they'd been that fussed, all that stopped them was a barrier that my dear old Nan could have hurdled, even in her best frock. What they really wanted was for everyone to applaud their mental and physical fortitude. It was deeply embarrassing for them personally, it reflected badly on us as a club and it made us look a right tin-pot outfit. I mean, who the **** is bothered enough about Telford, who are, if we're honest, a pub side, to want to have it out with a couple of their fans?

I hope we get Millwall away in the Cup...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

So do they. Pwoper tasty tear up, Miwaw.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Oh dear!

For a match that had seven goals there was precious little quality today, certainly not much from open play. All seven goals could have been avoided by better organisation defensively, every time there was a set piece you felt like it was going to lead to a goal.

After a particularly lacklustre first 20 minutes I thought we had done all the hard work by getting 2-1 in front and from then on it should be routine, not so; the equaliser on half time absolutely killed us, such a soft goal to concede too.

We started the second half in much the same manner as the first and even after Ajala was sent off for two fairly clumsy, yet innocuous, challenges I still felt we would have just enough to nick it, once again you just can't legislate for the poor defending that led to goals 3 and 4, just a rank bad day at the office sadly, and they happen, that it happened against one of the poorer teams in the league is irrelevant. There's no logic to it, similarly the case when we turned Rochdale over last year.

I would hope that we've got all our mistakes out of our system all at once, that we forget about today and all its deficiencies and we move on quickly and put it right straightaway on Tuesday. The longer the winning runs and clean sheets continued the harder it would have been to keep it going with expectation rising and teams playing purely to nullify us. Now we can start again with freedom. I hope today was just a blip but with the majority of the top half to play it was undoubtedly an untimely slip up.

No room for manoeuvre in the squad so Downes and Ajala out, Pearce and Cameron in and happy we have an opportunity to rectify it on Tuesday.

Final word for Downes, utterly stupid and completely reckless, no doubt borne of frustration. As obvious a red card as you will see and sadly for him he's opened the door to Pearce.

A most strange day.