AFC Telford United v Torquay United - Saturday 27th Sept

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
DonnyGull50
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by DonnyGull50 »

4-3 Telford !
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

and feckn exeter are ahead
still keeping the faith
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »

Downes you idiot At least Pearce will get back in.

:@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@
Last edited by Dutchgull on 27 Sep 2014, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
DonnyGull50
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by DonnyGull50 »

Straight Red Downes - clattered keeper
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Discipline is going to be our undoing
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Its the arrogance and then frustration of thinking these teams will be roll overs. We complain when the likes of Northampton do it, but we do it as well. There is no divine right to win any game. Well done Telford for scoring 4 against the best defence in the league.
TUST MEMBER
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Pretty mad, 500 and however many minutes without conceeding, then we conceed 4 against bottom of the league! Football eh?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

What I find ridiculous is for probably to be fair the first game where the team have genuinely fallen part particularly at the back, not going to count Gateshead , and straight around the net fingers are pointing at Rice , Downes and Cruise.

With out the contributions of Rice and Downes we wouldn't have gone into this game with the best defensive record nor sat 2nd in the league, so my point in general lay off them. If you want to point the finger of blame, point it in the right direction, call me what you want, the club is being run by the remainder of the board and I'm not sure they have a clue between them.

I've posted for weeks now, I'm enjoying this good start, but it was nothing more, I've posted I had concerns, and they've come home to roost today, our board need to decide on whether we want to be a professional club being run professionally, or whether we want to be rank amateurs playing at being professional. We've got to start giving CH the right backing, no we can't spend big money on players, but proper pre-match preparation is vital, lets hope today was a one off .

Obviously now Pearce will have to come back in, and I'm sure there will once again be a clamour for Ives, just take a look a FGR's front line, is this the right game Ives, personally I wouldn't, but I'm not the manager.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »

forevertufc wrote:What I find ridiculous is for probably to be fair the first game where the team have genuinely fallen part particularly at the back, not going to count Gateshead , and straight around the net fingers are pointing at Rice , Downes and Cruise.

With out the contributions of Rice and Downes we wouldn't have gone into this game with the best defensive record nor sat 2nd in the league, so my point in general lay off them. If you want to point the finger of blame, point it in the right direction, call me what you want, the club is being run by the remainder of the board and I'm not sure they have a clue between them.

I've posted for weeks now, I'm enjoying this good start, but it was nothing more, I've posted I had concerns, and they've come home to roost today, our board need to decide on whether we want to be a professional club being run professionally, or whether we want to be rank amateurs playing at being professional. We've got to start giving CH the right backing, no we can't spend big money on players, but proper pre-match preparation is vital, lets hope today was a one off .

Obviously now Pearce will have to come back in, and I'm sure there will once again be a clamour for Ives, just take a look a FGR's front line, is this the right game Ives, personally I wouldn't, but I'm not the manager.

:goodpost: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

To many supporters are getting carried away the Telford club have built their selves up for
the game after reading our website. I felt like saying something last night but the damage was done
the problem is our players read it and their heads were in the clouds. BIG test the next game.
CHRIS has got to play his best team even if it's young, The fullback positions are ok against bad wide players, today they could not cope :keepie:
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Absolutely dreadful second half.

Telford had been baiting our players for most of the first half, and we completely lost out discipline. Terrible tackle from Ajala, I didn't realise he'd already been booked which made it all the more ridiculous.
Downes sending off was mad as well - shanked a shot so badly it was going out by the corner flag, chases it down and then absolutely smashes their full back. No complaints, proper rush of blood.

Rice definitely at fault for 3 of the goals.

A real bad day all round. Bowman and O'Achie very poor upfront, didn't win much or link well at all. Midfield was also overran, and the football we played was poor. We only started actually passing it around once we were down to 10 men.

What killed us today was what looked like a level of complacency. We didn't look up for it and too many people had off days. Telford were cynical, got the ref on their side by constantly getting in his ear but we failed to rise above it. It was a throw-back to those classic conference "scalps" from our first stint here. You'd have thought they'd won the league at the final whistle.

Very, very little positive to be taken from today
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Nothing short of pathetic for me really. Telford havn't won all season. We shouldn't have expected a walk over but really to lose the game and finish with nine men is shambolic.
Listening to the game on the radio you have got to wonder what Rice was doing. Really he is a liability - he has been fortunate to keep as many clean sheets as he has which has mainly been due to our defenders.
I am fed up with Hargreaves saying we are "tired" - we havn't played a game for a week. The opposition play just as many games as we do and most of them seem to be part time.
You do wonder whether we have "bottomed out". Rode our luck against Woking who havn't done anything since, and were unimpressive against Dover.
Maybe this result has been coming but the impression is that we threw the gamne away today.
The next two games could well define our season.
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

God help that defence on Tuesday against the convict and the pie-eater.
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Sounds like a bad day at the office. Can't believe Downes was so stupid. He's the last player I'd expect to react like that at the end. It might cost him in the long run if Pearce performs for the next three games. Rice and the full-backs had stinkers but it would be harsh to drop them after one bad showing. Obviously Hargreaves has to make changes for FGR because of the red cards but I'm not jumping on the Ives bandwagon just yet. Cruise and co have done enough this season to be given a chance to make amends.

Bit of a wake up call and we've now got a really tough run of games. Out of our next 15 fixtures, only three are against teams currently in the bottom half (and one of those is against 13th-placed Eastleigh).
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Don't panic, Captain Manwaring. Today was odd and by no means indicative that we're bollocksed. Loads of guys at 5/10 today and up against a team who mixed lots of effort with lots of falling over.

Everything went wrong for us today. Much of it was of our own making, there are no excuses here, but we won't be conceding four of that type of goal for the rest of the season, let alone in one match. Ajala and Downer both allowed themselves to get wound up. Both were extremely stupid to do as they did, but for subtly different reasons.

A load of old pony from our spotty mob too. Pipe down, kids, you're embarrassing yourselves.

On a brighter note, I spoke with Duane after the match and he's a tremendous chap, the sort of bloke you want your daughter to bring home.

On to FGR, where we'll play properly.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"