AFC Telford United v Torquay United - Saturday 27th Sept

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

AFC Telford United v Torquay United - Saturday 27th Sept

Post by Colorado Gull »

Six wins in a row, the longest run of wins the conference has seen so far this season and it really should be a seventh as United play United...TUFC (kind of) v TUFC...Telford play Torquay. The home side are rock bottom. Telford have drawn three games, Welling, Southport and Dartford and lost the rest, they haven’t won a single game this season. Torquay should win this easily....how many times have I said that this season!? The home side nicknamed The Bucks lost their last game away to Halifax 5-0. We may see some changes to Telford’s starting XI, but here’s the side from the previous game.

01 Hedge
04 Byrne
16 McDonald
05 Akrigg
07 Phenix
23 Higgins
22 O'Keefe
20 Poku
11 Clancy (Grogan - 46' )
09 Farrell
10 Gray

Substitutes
06 Grogan
08 Barnett
13 Pryce
17 Platt
21 Todd

Telford’s ground is called the Bucks Head. It was built in stages beginning in 2000, with the works being completed in 2003. It is an attractive looking ground, with good facilities, including a hotel which is attached to the stadium. On one side of the ground sits proudly the Sir Stephen Roberts Stand, named after a former Director and lifelong supporter. This single tiered, all seated stand, has a capacity of 2,200. It is smart looking and has executive boxes to its rear. On one side of the stand is a stadium control box, whilst on the other side of the stand are some offices, which gives the ground an enclosed feeling on this side. Both ends are covered terraces that are of similar design, both having semi circular roofs. One of these ends, the Frank Naginton Stand, is given to away supporters. On the remaining side of the ground, is an open terrace, called the Jack Bentley Terrace (after the Club's all time record goal scorer), which is dominated behind by the Club offices and study centre. To one side of this open terrace towards the away end is a small electric scoreboard. An interesting fact, the ground is also used by Wolverhampton Wanderers for reserve team fixtures.

Away fans: “Away fans are mostly housed at one end of the ground, in the covered Frank Naginton Terrace, where up to 1,300 fans can be housed. The entrance to the away area is at the top of the stand, so you descend through the concourse at the back of the stand and then onto the rear of the terrace. On the concourse are separate areas for serving alcohol and food. Bitter, Lager & Cider are available and there are TV's around, showing SKY Sports. The bar also handily opens again at half time. If demand requires it then a block of seating in the Sir Stephen Roberts (West) Stand can also be allocated. Generally the atmosphere inside the stadium is good, with a relative few visiting fans being able to generate some noise from the covered away stand. Unusually the Club have taken the decision not allocate a seating area for away fans so only the terrace is available.”

Drink: “There is a small bar located within the Study Centre Facility behind the Jack Bentley Terrace, however this does not admit away fans. There is the Dugout bar, which also shows Sky Sports, which is located in the Whitehouse Hotel which is adjacent to the stadium. Otherwise the nearest pubs are the Cock Hotel and the Swan Hotel, which are around a five minute walk away from the stadium. Go around behind the Main Stand and you will see the hotel bar and then turn right along the main road and both pubs are located opposite one another at a crossroads. The Cock Hotel is a regular in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide and has eight hand pumps, one of which is normally given over to cider. The Swan Hotel opposite also features a carvery. Otherwise alcohol is served in the away end. If you are arriving by train, then near Wellington Railway Station is a Wetherspoons pub called the William Withering, which is located on New Street.”

Prices
Adult £13
Concessions £10
Under 18’s £5
Under 14's £1 (when accompanied by an adult)

Torquay should be unchanged (again) for this one. We have no injury worries, so here’s the team that we should see on Saturday.

Rice
Tonge
MacDonald
Downes
Cruise

Chappell
Richards
Young
Ajala

Ofori-Acheampong
Bowman

Substitutes
Seabright
Pearce
Wakefield
Cameron
Yeoman

Apologies for this very short matchday thread, I haven’t had a lot of time. Let’s get behind the lads and bring the three points home.

COYY.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Reckon Cameron will replace Chappell for this one.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

The Sleaford gulls will be in attendance. Ready for another 3 points.
KeithMalone
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by KeithMalone »

We should win, that's a given but would like to see O'Achie back among the goals just to keep him ticking over

A clean sheet would be nice but am not going to get obsessed with records that mean very little. 3 points here is the aim and avoidance of injuries and suspensions are also more important than not conceding a goal. Up the yellows!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

The admission prices Danny has shown appear to be out of date. See Telford's official site: http://www.telfordunited.com/News.aspx?ID=250

Agreed, we should win, but it may not be the walkover some people expect. Telford have lost 5-0 to Halifax, but have drawn 2-2 with Barnet. But perhaps Barnet had a bad day... :)

Gulls to win 3-0.. :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

well done dan a good imformative post, sounds like a good place to go for an away day. should be 3 points in the bag, but as jimmy greaves said, its a funny old game saint!. :goodpost:
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I am looking forward to this. My first match of the season. No kids, a couple of beers and hopefully three points. :scarf:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Without impugning the mammoth effort of his earlier match day threads, I actually prefer this more concise format.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

I will be doing the start to finish stretch of the M5 for this one. Hopeful and confident of a big win, although im not at all expecting my 250-1, 6-0 win to come true :nod:
To the dotted line, We're on our way
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

Why don't you get the Supporters' Coach DJ ? I get on at Exeter !
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

ferrarilover wrote:Without impugning the mammoth effort of his earlier match day threads, I actually prefer this more concise format.
Matt.
Matt, your impugnity was implied..?? :~D
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

ferrarilover wrote:Without impugning the mammoth effort of his earlier match day threads, I actually prefer this more concise format.

Matt.
Matt have Torquay played at Forest Greens new ground! :keepie:
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

taxilady wrote:Why don't you get the Supporters' Coach DJ ? I get on at Exeter !
I quite enjoy Driving to the away games, plus I get to leave about an hour after the coach. Ill be sure to beep as I pass :na:
To the dotted line, We're on our way
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

arcadia wrote: Matt have Torquay played at Forest Greens new ground! :keepie:
I don't know for sure, but I'd say not. The ground I remember had an open side on which about 1000 of us stood, packed in and making quite a noise. That was a great day, despite **** Bartlett being allowed in with his bell.

Oh, for Christ's sake, I've got work to do, but since you asked so nicely, I'll Google it. Hang on...

Still looking...

Yes, we have. The New Lawn opened in 2006 and we played there in 2007 and 2008. Included among these was the most famous 2-1 win of all time, with Sills in goal, a missed FGR pen and a 95th minute winner from 25 yards.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

ferrarilover wrote: I don't know for sure, but I'd say not. The ground I remember had an open side on which about 1000 of us stood, packed in and making quite a noise. That was a great day, despite f**king Bartlett being allowed in with his bell.

Oh, for Christ's sake, I've got work to do, but since you asked so nicely, I'll Google it. Hang on...

...The old ground had a slope I can remember playing on it but had a good atmosphere. :keepie:

Still looking...

Yes, we have. The New Lawn opened in 2006 and we played there in 2007 and 2008. Included among these was the most famous 2-1 win of all time, with Sills in goal, a missed FGR pen and a 95th minute winner from 25 yards.

Matt.