Torquay United vs Stockport County

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
northharrowgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northharrowgull »

Love all this positive talk about play-offs and great to see Billy getting on the score sheet. Really do believe he will be a fabulous asset and that this is just the start for him. However, lets not get carried away. Consolidation is fine as far as I am concerned this season.Remember, we face a possible points deduction and only last week the prophets of doom were predicting relegation. Lets hope we build on this and get a few more wins under our belt to move up the league :scarf:
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

Just got back and I have to say the game was dominated by our tw loanees Robinson and Stanley, they made the rest of the squad look amateur. Zebs was up to his old tricks of taking on 1 to many players and losing the ball and Kee was totally ineffective for most of the game. Could have been a higher score but we just dont want to take the chances we are given and try and take another touch rather than just shooting but hey 3 points.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

yellowmonkey wrote:Just got back and I have to say the game was dominated by our tw loanees Robinson and Stanley, they made the rest of the squad look amateur. Zebs was up to his old tricks of taking on 1 to many players and losing the ball and Kee was totally ineffective for most of the game. Could have been a higher score but we just dont want to take the chances we are given and try and take another touch rather than just shooting but hey 3 points.
Rubbish.

The whole team were good today. Eunan was good when he got the ball he turned their blokes inside out, as did Zedders. Kee did well in holding up the ball and some of his balls round the corner for Robinson were brilliant. He wasn't perfect, a couple he overcooked, but by and large, he played well. Mansell was immense, usual fayre, he won every tackle for which he went in. The back five were never really called into action, since SCFC (literally) did not have a shot on target all day.
Robinson was simply magnificent today. It really begs the question; if Shrewsbury are willing to let a guy that good go out on loan, A) just how good is the rest of their squad and B) how good do they think Wroe is?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

The rose tinted glasses have come out again!!!! If we can only manage this type of performance against a team which are all but relegated and the two most impressive players on the pitch are loanee's then it ain't a good day at the office. :red:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Ok, if you're sure mate, I'm not going to argue with you, but just how you can imagine we have been so poor today when the opposition have managed about 5% of the possession and precisely zero shots of any genuine threat, let alone on target, is totally beyond me.

Matt.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

My Player ratings-

Potter- 7 had nothing to do, good kicking against the wind
Nico- 7 didn't make a mistake, kept the winger quiet
Robbo 7 always has his hand up when going for an aerial ball, had a solid game
Branston 7 solid
Oatsler 7 final ball let him down, won a lot in the air and tackled well
O'kane 6 for his standards I wasn't impressed but was ok when on the ball
Stanley 9 my MOTM great passing and great shot 2nd half
Mansell 7 got forward lots, struggled with clearances
Zebroski 6 quiet but got his goal, always hard into a tackle but gave away a few silly free kicks
Kee 8 should of scored at least 2, great finish for his goal, good movement
Robinson 7 looked tired at the end but effective throughout

Subs: didn't have enough time.

I would of taken 2-0 pre match, the attendance looked somehow less than Tuesday though( even though there was more)
Plymouthgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by Plymouthgull »

Good performance today against, it has to be said, a very, very poor side. Stockport will struggle in the Conference on this perfromance. Fair play to their fans that travelled down.
Thought the two loanees were ourstanding. Delighted that Billy scored a very good goal. Make no mistake he has more potential that Benyon and will go on to be a much better all round CF (no disrespect to Benners - I wish him well at Swindon).
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Plymouthgull wrote:Good performance today against, it has to be said, a very, very poor side. Stockport will struggle in the Conference on this perfromance. Fair play to their fans that travelled down.
Thought the two loanees were ourstanding. Delighted that Billy scored a very good goal. Make no mistake he has more potential that Benyon and will go on to be a much better all round CF (no disrespect to Benners - I wish him well at Swindon).

Wait till Fonda reads that :)

Glad to hear that we've got two loanees in that are impressing the fans, I know these two impressed Bucks after being identified by someone who supposedly does nothing at the club (if you listen to some sarfenders that frequent another site).
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Excellent all round performance despite horrible conditions to play in. We had 4 good attempts at goal on target of which 2 went in (didnt count Billys effort that Zebs tucked away). That chance for Zebs in the 1st half when he curled it towards the right post deserved to go in. Not sure how the keeper got his fingertips to it. The rocket from Stanley in the 2nd bounced off the keeper without him knowing anything of it...Hope they show them on Late Kick off on Monday...

Oh I forgot Robinsons volley the keeper managed to tip over...Awesome shot
Last edited by Fletch on 05 Feb 2011, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Dont think Potter would have had an easier debut in his career than that,and was Stockports no 29 Brown think his name was the worst defender if not player in the history of football.

Decent all round performance against it does have to be said an awful Stockport team,Stanley looked much better today,and please,please, please can we sign Robinson that boy can play,three points and happy days.

Oh forgot to add Billy Kee ,hopeless when facing an open goal,deadly from 15yrds with the keeper to beat :clap:
Formerly known as forevertufc
MattSTFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jake Robinson ;)

Post by MattSTFC »

ferrarilover wrote:Robinson was simply magnificent today. It really begs the question; if Shrewsbury are willing to let a guy that good go out on loan, A) just how good is the rest of their squad and B) how good do they think Wroe is?
Robbo started off last season and this season with us like a train, but for whatever reason he couldn't sustain it and his form noticably dipped after a couple of months of the season. If you can get him performing near the top of his form regularly over a sustained period then you've got yourselves a very good player for this level without a doubt.

Regarding Nicky Wroe, it's not a like for like comparison is it. We were very lacking in terms of centre midfield players and needed a player with some experience in that position to give us more options. From what i've seen of Wroe in the past I have no great expectations of him, but i'm happy he's joined the club as the added competition for places can only be healthy.
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

taunton_gull wrote:You could be right re - Ellis although it wouldn't surprise me if it was just a reaction to the Crawley game. I pray to god we can't be as poor as we were against Hereford, as soon as we can get any sort of win on the board we can move on. With Stockport fighting for their life and the conditions looking windy it wouldn't surprise me if it's a scrappy affair. Providing we can get the points that will do me.

It sounds like Ellis could be given and rest with Mansell coming into RB which means Robbo will move across to CB. With this in mind I would hope O'Kane gets moved into the middle, possibly to partner Stanley. His best performances have come from either playing down the middle or behind the striker and I hope this is the case today. It will be a major boost having Zebs back as we really missed his threat on Tuesday, on his day he can punish anyone in this league. Robinson made a good start on Tuesday (albeit he shouldn't have been on the pitch!) and I would be happy enough to see him partnered with Kee again although Billy badly needs a goal and hopefully he will get over his shocker of a miss in the week.

I'm going for a scrappy 2-0 win.
Wish I had put a few quid on that!

A good win and just what the doctor ordered. I was especially pleased for Kee who scored a fantastic goal which was just reward for his afternoon's effort. I hope that with games he can pick up where Benyon left. Funny to note in his post match interview Bucks says Swindon also wanted to take Kee off our hands as well! It was interesting to see the change in system and today it worked well although it has to be said Stockport are possibly the worst side I have seen at Plainmoor this season. Robinson had a decent game although I have to say I had Stanley as the MOTM. I think we'll have enough to say about where we are in the table, I believe if the club had serious aspirations for promotion we are still 1 or 2 short especially up front, but from what Bucks said after the game it sounds like we are going to stick with what we have.

The attendance was around what I expected although it's always disappointing to see it drop below 2,000. Hopefully with a decent result at Barnet people will start to come back. Overall, a good end to a very tough week and hopefully the start of another good run.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

I just thought today was a totally proffessional performance.

Once again Bucks has shown he is not afraid of dropping players and I think the rest that Bevan, Ellis and Stephens have had will be good in the longer term.

There were absolutely no panics in defence today, for perhaps the first time in 10 matches, and Potter deserves credit for a completely concentrated and proffessional performance, he certainly communicates better with the team than Bevan does, altough he was not really tested today.

Stockport might be at the foot of the table, but they have had a couple of decent results recently and it was a potential banana skin .

Also wanted to mention Shaun North today, who was as animated as a cartoon charactor on the bench today, that MUST have made a diiference
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Just a note about Buckle's role in today's win.

His decision to play Potter was excellent - his kicking was superb in the conditions and took a lot of pressure off the team when playing against the gale. Bevan, for all his shot-stopping abilities cannot kick the ball well.

The decision to drop Ellis worked well since the defence never looked like conceding.

Playing Robinson on the left wing instead of Stevens worked well - at times we were playing 433

Bringing in Oastler also strengthened the midfield.

All in all an excellent performance against a poor team which looks odds on for the BSP
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Modgull wrote:Just a note about Buckle's role in today's win.

His decision to play Potter was excellent - his kicking was superb in the conditions and took a lot of pressure off the team when playing against the gale. Bevan, for all his shot-stopping abilities cannot kick the ball well.

The decision to drop Ellis worked well since the defence never looked like conceding.

Playing Robinson on the left wing instead of Stevens worked well - at times we were playing 433

Bringing in Oastler also strengthened the midfield.

All in all an excellent performance against a poor team which looks odds on for the BSP
Mate, I absolutely do not want to take away the point of your post, but the highlighted bit, I feel and I think on reflection you will agree, had considerably more to do with the lack of quality in the opposition that anything or anyone in out team. We could have had Kermit the Frog, Big Bird and Lambchop at the back today and Stockport wouldn't have scored.

Matt.