Torquay United v Woking - Tuesday 16th September - 7.45pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

5th win in a row! :-o
6th win of the season! :-o
4th clean sheet in a row! :-o
2nd in the table! :-o
Midfielders scoring goals! :-o
Praise from Guy Branston! :-o
Playing decent football! :-o
2 winnable games coming up! :-o

All I can say is -

(8) You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....). (8)

Get in, well done lads! :-D
Last edited by chunkygull on 16 Sep 2014, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well that free kick was worth the entrance fee on it's own. The only downside to this performance was a general lack of quality from us tonight, especially in the final third, a lot of misplaced passes, over hit long balls, corners that didn't beat the first man, however the approach play from us was fantastic.

Got to talk about our defence, only seen the Southport and Aldershot games before today and thought we had a lot to thank Ricey for in those two games, tonight our back 4 were as solid as I've seen them, Downes a rock, MacDonald quality with the ariel stuff, Tonge and Cruise flawless at full back, who ever has worked with them as a unit, you've done cracking job.

Final word, great support from the fans tonight.
Formerly known as forevertufc
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

First match I've been able to get to since Welling, and what a match it was. It was relatively average throughout but to win in the 90th min with a Youngy free kick to end Woking's run was fantastic! We weren't amazing today though, don't know whether we just weren't at the races or Woking were a much sterner opposition but the passes weren't really connecting, runs not being made, and Ajala trying to take on his man just a bit too much. All in all though we just edged the game although there weren't really any clear cut chances, a few dodgy backpasses to the Woking keeper which Bowman and Duane kept trying to run on to but not much apart from that, we had more chances than Woking but not many. They're definitely going to be up there this season and played some good stuff with good link up play, I'd be annoyed to not come away with a point but Luke Young take a bow! :bow:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Really enjoyed that match tonight - two quality sides who would hold their own in Div 2. Defence solid once again and we worked hard all over the pitch. There seems to be a great team spirit in this side. Woking shaded the first half I thought but we were stronger in the second half and just about deserved the win. Luke Young's free kick was a worthy winner. The ref had quite a good first half but then made several questionable decisions in the second half. Plainmoor was rocking tonight - sod Launa Windows Stadium !!!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

hold yer horses there guy.s two winnable games coming up. a week or so ago we were saying they were a run of tough games. lets take this one game at a time. Yes I am over the moon (can someone tell me how to get this ladder down off the moon. i hate heights) but I am tempering it by realising its a ver encouraging start to the season and we have a long way to go yet. It's brighter than last season I grant you and I am not critisising the team or managemnt but I am being realistic here. Lets not get to many hopes up and let negativitly creep back in our support cos we might lose a couple in the next few weeks.
Now sorry guys, but i got to go to hospital cos in celebrating our win i took off the top of the roasting tin i cooked my joint in and have burned my left hand. wow didnt know steam could come out like that owwweeee
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Ben_wfc
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Ben_wfc »

Absolutely gutted! Coming into the game i would have taken 0-0 straight away. Now coming away with nothing just doesn't feel right. I thought neither team looked like scoring and it was one of those where it would take some quality to win it and it seems like that's what happened (was hard to see what the free kick was like from where we were). We weren't at our best and i get the idea you weren't either. At the end of the day the team that scores more deserve to win and that was you so well done on your win. Spoke to a few of your fans and you seem like a nice bunch so best of luck until we play you again!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Na na na nananana nananana TORQUAY!!

Get the **** in!!

The feel goooooooood factor is back peeps. Greavsie is our king.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Great game. I heard a couple of people say they thought it was an awful game but that was so far from the truth. At 0-0 with both teams going for it, the game was on a knife-edge for most of the match. Woking shaded the first half, us the second, although they started coming into it before out goal. I was worried they might nick it.

Woking were a very good side, especially first half, and I don't know if their part-time status has any bearing on them fading as the game went on but they play good football and were as good as most League 2 sides we saw last year.

The defence though were excellent - Woking fired lots of dangerous shots but all from long-range - they rarely threatened the Torquay penalty area. There were plenty of frustrating moments, Ajala combined moments of magic with unnecessary overplay and loss of possession but worked hard.

The goal was sublime - just incredible. I haven't seen many better in my 35 years of going to Plainmoor and the timing just made it more memorable. Amazing that we are 2nd and that suddenly we are real contenders. I just hope CH can keep them going.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

A+ for effort but we struggled in the final third. I can't remember us creating too many clear chances and thought our front six were some way off their best. Defensively we were fantastic, though. Magnificent free-kick from Young. I was thinking 'don't shoot' because he was a long way out but he caught it perfectly. Great celebration too from all the players.

I'm surprised Woking changed their tactics at half-time. In the first half, they were popping the ball about, firing in shots and looked the better team. But they sat back after the break, wasted time and were playing for the draw. If they had played at the same tempo as the first half they could have walked away with all three points because we weren't at our best going forward.

Rice made a few routine stops but had a fairly quiet game; the back four were excellent. Cruise got caught out once in the second half, but that was the only mistake between the quartet. I think Richards has been excellent this season but tonight he had a poor game. Young wasn't at his best before scoring his screamer, but he was still better than most. Ajala was hit and miss but was our most lively attacker; Chapell lost the ball too many times but did almost score at the start of the second half. Cameron didn't do much when he came on. Thought the front two were well marshalled by Woking's defence. Bowman improved as the game wore on but didn't look 100% fit. O'Achie struggled to impose himself on the match. I was surprised he played the full 90.

Well done to the crowd. The Pop was bouncing at the end and the fans did their best to lift the team when things weren't going our way. It may not have been a classic but there's something special about this team and the feel-good factor is definitely back at the Launa Window... no can't say it. The feel-good factor is definitely back at Plainmoor!
Last edited by tommyg on 16 Sep 2014, 23:17, edited 2 times in total.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Ben_wfc wrote:Absolutely gutted! Coming into the game i would have taken 0-0 straight away. Now coming away with nothing just doesn't feel right. I thought neither team looked like scoring and it was one of those where it would take some quality to win it and it seems like that's what happened (was hard to see what the free kick was like from where we were). We weren't at our best and i get the idea you weren't either. At the end of the day the team that scores more deserve to win and that was you so well done on your win. Spoke to a few of your fans and you seem like a nice bunch so best of luck until we play you again!
Couple of us were saying the same, this games got 0.0 written all over it, the one real piece of quality won it, ball served your keeper, who I thought was excellent had no chance.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Ben_wfc wrote:Absolutely gutted! Coming into the game i would have taken 0-0 straight away. Now coming away with nothing just doesn't feel right. I thought neither team looked like scoring and it was one of those where it would take some quality to win it and it seems like that's what happened (was hard to see what the free kick was like from where we were). We weren't at our best and i get the idea you weren't either. At the end of the day the team that scores more deserve to win and that was you so well done on your win. Spoke to a few of your fans and you seem like a nice bunch so best of luck until we play you again!
Two very good sides, Ben. We didn't look at our best 'cos your lads didn't allow us to play as we can and I suspect the same could be said for Woking. It was always going to take something special to break down two solid defences and that free kick was something special. Very impressed with your keeper. It was a good game - a credit to the Conference.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Climbed 20 places in 8 games.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
DTUFC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by DTUFC »

I think this is the sort of game that we'll look back on at the end of the season and say it was a crucial three points.

Weren't at our best tonight but found a way to win and it'll be a further boost to morale to have got a late winner. Atmosphere was better than it's been in a while.

I did feel like we lacked options from the bench who could genuinely change the game; Hargreaves brought Cameron on and that was all he could really do as although Bowman and O'Achie struggled at times Yeoman wouldn't have been any better. I think a loan striker wouldn't go amiss, funds permitting...
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

No way was it an awful game. Woking started well but seemed to blow up after about half an hour. Are they part time? if so that explains it. Torquay to mind looked by far the fitter side and dominated completely in the second half.
We didn't really create too much and credit to Woking who defended well but for me it was a deserved winner.
I thought the referee was appalling and seemed to come with the sole intention of preserving Wokings unbeaten record.
He was "looking" for O'Aachie all game - yet O'Aachie was fouled repeatedly by their centre half throughout the ninety minutes and never got pulled up. A ginger headed short arsed buffoon.
Rendell was completely hopeless - god knows how he's got seven goals this season - never had a prayer against Downes and Macdougall.
Another bet coming up trumps - a lay of Woking at 3.25 and got the correct score up as well (you heard it here first folks in the match preview thread)
I'm on a roll and so are we.
Great atmosphere - there looked more like 2500 there at least to me, think we may have skimmed a few off for the taxman.