Torquay United v Woking - Tuesday 16th September - 7.45pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Torquay United v Woking - Tuesday 16th September - 7.45pm

Post by Colorado Gull »

The Conference games come around very quickly. The next game for United is on Tuesday night at home against the only side that hasn't lost a game yet this season, the team for Surrey, Woking FC, nicknamed the Cardinals (or the Cards for short). The away side for Tuesday’s game were founded in the same year as Torquay, 1899 and that’s not the only thing similar between the two sides. Torquay and Woking have both had very good starts to the season. Woking’s form goes like this; WDDDWWWWW with a +12 goal difference sitting in 2nd with 21 points, while United’s goes like this; LWDDDWWWW with a +11 goal difference with 18 points, sitting in 5th. There’s no denying that Torquay have done incredibly well in the last four games and played superbly, but this will be the most difficult game this season so far seeing as Woking have been pretty extraordinary.

I'm pretty certain that Woking will be unchanged from their 1-0 victory over Chester on Saturday, unless they had an injury that I don’t know about.

So here is the team that will be the most probably for Tuesday:

30 Worner
05 McNerney
06 Clarke
21 Jones
03 Cestor Booked
32 Arthur
07 Payne
10 Sole
14 Lewis
24 Morgan
09 Rendell

Substitutes
02 Newton
08 Murtagh
22 Goddard
31 Little
33 Arnold

A few facts about the visiting side, Woking are the joint-record holders of the FA Trophy winning it three times. They won the Conference South in the 2011/2012 season finishing on 97 points beating Dartford by 9 points. They finished 9th last season in the Conference Premier and have really worked on that this year. Manager Gary Hill must be very pleased with his squad, especially with who he has brought in as well. One of the new players for Woking is ex-Torquay striker Scott Rendell, who has been on fire so far this season. Rendell has scored 7 goals already this season for his new side; let’s hope he doesn't add to that with his return to United.

As for the home side, we've been fantastic, unbeaten since the Gateshead loss and won four in a row. The duo of Luke Young and Courtney Richards is a dream of a pair. Martin Rice made two outstanding saves against Grimsby, a terrific shot stopper. We will have to have a better second half performance than we had on Saturday for Tuesday’s game, we can’t sit back and give the ball away as much as we did because we will be punished for it. Ryan Bowman went off at half time due to a knock he had, hopefully it isn't anything serious and he is okay for the game and if not for the match, hopefully not out for a long time. We will be running out of more options if players are injured.

Here’s the side that should start on Tuesday:

Rice

Tonge
MacDonald
Downes
Cruise

Ajala
Richards
Young
Chappell

Bowman (Yeoman is Ryan is out)
Ofori-Acheampong

Substitutes
Seabright
Pearce
Wakefield
Yeoman (someone else if Bowman is injured)
Sullivan

No excuses not to go to this one if you just can’t be bothered! We are playing fantastically well and gained 12 points in 4 games. The match should be a brilliant seeing as both sides are in the top 5. The atmosphere needs to be electric! Get to Plainmoor, support the lads, sing your hearts out and let’s hope we can get our 5th win in a row!

COYY.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

done your homework there dan, well done mate good post, see you on tuesday , YELLOW ARMY! :scarf: :scarf: :goal: :bow: :keepie:
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

ROADRUNNER wrote:done your homework there dan, well done mate good post, see you on tuesday , YELLOW ARMY! :scarf: :scarf: :goal: :bow: :keepie:

Cheers Si! See you Tuesday!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

The key to the game, for me, is that for their 18 goals, they've only had four different scorers (three strikers and a midfielder). For our 16 goals, we have eight different scorers (two strikers, two wingers, three midfielders and a defender). We have goals all through the side and we score all sorts of goals. If Bowman and Cameron are fit, I don't see any reason not to presume that we're the best side in the division (someone has to be). Just like last time we were down here, we can beat anyone. We won't beat everyone, but that's because we'll have injures, suspensions and off days, not because we can't.

Let's do precisely what we have been doing and see what happens.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Seems crazy to me that the Conference has double-headers in successive weeks.I know they have to have Saturday's free for the FA Trophy and FA Cup qualifying rounds but why can't the FA Trophy be played mid-week?Think our players are going to be pretty tired after all the travel and exertions of last week-may need to freshen things up a bit and utilise the squad-would be risky to change a winning team against Woking though,but may be able to do this on Saturday against Dover.Hopefully,Cameron and Briscoe might be available for then.
Last edited by Behind-the-Gulls on 15 Sep 2014, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Unlikely Cameron, Briscoe will feature and Bowman also a big doubt for the game. A really tough call to play 4 games in two weeks for small squads such as teams at this level have. Especially with the travelling we have had to do.

Hopefully the winning habit will provide the energy needed to go again - especially against a team in such good form as Woking.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Ben_wfc
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Ben_wfc »

We are coming to you in good form, playing decent football but not at our 100% best. We just about deserved the win on Saturday but the game before then was a scrappy affair that if Aldershot new how to put the round thing in the net could have gone either way.

We are missing our skipper who would be a very important player in a game like this, I do think we will score but would do very well not to concede against you. A point will be massive for us if we can get it.
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

The big question for Torquay United will be ...will our new success bring in more fans to tomorrows game ? It would be very good to get an increase in the support.

The little question I have, which has no importance at all is .... now that we have two excellent Courtneys and Courtney Cameron is known as "Courts", what do the players call Courtney Richards ?
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I would assume that since they are in midfield that the :lol: other might be center court. Pk i'll get me coat
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

what do the players call Courtney Richards ?[/quote]

Dunno.....but the supporters have been calling him 'Man of the Match'................................... ;-)
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Do we know anything about injuries, is CC definitely out, and Bowman? Would be a huge loss if so
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Before the Grimsby match, Hector posted 'Obviously we are due a defeat and cannot remain unbeaten'. Well, turning that on its head, the same applies to Woking. They will have also played four games in eleven days and will no doubt have picked up some injuries and knocks. True, they haven't had the travelling that our lads have had but they've got a long-ish trip down to Devon and cannot remain unbeaten so I'm hoping with a good crowd and good atmosphere at Plainmoor tomorrow night, we will burst their bubble.

If Bowman is out tomorrow and Cameron and Briscoe are still not fit, there is a spare place on the bench. Why not Benyon if he's fit, assuming Yeoman will start in place of Bowman? I know Hector will throw up his arms in horror, but I reckon Benyon could work well with O'Achie. The down side is he could be a bit 'match rusty' as he hasn't played this season (or did he play at Gateshead? - I can't remember). :goal:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Benyon might, if he tried really hard, work well with the men who empty my bins. Football? No chance.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Richinns wrote:Unlikely Cameron, Briscoe will feature and Bowman also a big doubt for the game. A really tough call to play 4 games in two weeks for small squads such as teams at this level have. Especially with the travelling we have had to do.

Hopefully the winning habit will provide the energy needed to go again - especially against a team in such good form as Woking.
It's easier when your winning the players will be ready! :keepie:
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

Benners did start at Gateshead; also came on as a sub towards the end at Dartford.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066