Chester v Torquay United – Tuesday 9th September 2014

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Great win! After a couple of dreadful seasons, it feels good to be a Torquay fan again!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

The Chester match thread makes decent reading.

http://www.devachat.com/index.php?showt ... 5&start=25

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

Well they have mixed opinions on us most say we were better side. However from the audio it sounded like they thought they were hard done by in most decisions. Radically in the red card/yellow card incident. Granted I wasn't there but if your the last man 20 odd yards out by the letter of the law that is a red card.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Fair Play to the Chester fans on their forum - they give a good balanced viewpoint on the match and are quite complimentary about Torquay's performance. One fan's viewpoint said it all " Torquay were what you would call a 'proper conference side'. Big Strong and direct."
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Direct? We couldn't be direct if our lives depended on it. We're a footballing side, I'm afraid. They think we're direct, wait 'til they come up against Dartford. Besides, we only look big because of Duane, replace him with Benyon and we look like a team of midgets.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

5 goals conceded - 3 in the first game and only 2 in the seven games since. That is some record. Grimsby on Saturday will be a sterner test and I'm looking forward to Woking next Tuesday night - for me, the surprise team in the league - still undefeated. Hope we can burst their bubble.

Just hope nothing blows up after the rumoured incident involving McDonald at the end of the match. He does tend to get himself wound up - that's something for Hargreaves and Hodges (as a former central defender) to sort out with him.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Not to get carried away, but because we won three games in a row, we're in a play-off place. :)

However, if we had lost those three games we'd be in a relegation spot...!! :(
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Gullscorer wrote:Not to get carried away, but because we won three games in a row, we're in a play-off place. :)

However, if we had lost those three games we'd be in a relegation spot...!! :(
Brucie have you changed your user name?
Lucy
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

ferrarilover wrote:The Chester match thread makes decent reading.

http://www.devachat.com/index.php?showt ... 5&start=25

Matt.
Extremely complimentary to us. Fair play to those comments, but is it just them being piss&d off. But statistics don't lie. 7 games unbeaten and only 2 goals conceded in those 7 games. We must be doing something right. However, the drawn games against southport and Dartford could prove crucial come may.
Lucy
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

well the chester fans think we were stronger ,quicker and reckon that not one of there players would get in to our team, this is all down to chris hargreaves hard work and bringing a group of players together who can play, well done chris, looks like the doubters will have to eat humble pie. fantastic result! :scarf:
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Seems to be an insinuation that MacDonald spat at one of their players but during the game at some point - according to this blog
http://theblueandwhitefanzine.co.uk/mat ... -united-2/
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

According to their local rag the ref had no bearing on the result and we were just too good. AM is accused of spitting though...

http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/sport ... -0-7744942
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Sounded like another mature performance. I've been very impressed with the character and patience we've shown in games this season. Chester tried to bully us but we didn't drag ourselves down to their level and let our football do the talking. That's a good test for our young players because there will be similar matches like that to come.

Richards has been an unexpected bonus. I never want to see a player get injured but Harding's absence has been a blessing in disguise because it's allowed Richards a run in the side and he's arguably been our best player in each of the last three games. I'm excited by this team, especially when you consider the age of some of these players. I do think the fixture list has been kind to us thus far and it will be interesting to see how we fare against the bigger teams starting with Saturday's trip to Grimsby.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Wasn't the player that Macdonald allegedly spat at Hobson?. He was the player that our commentators were describing as "embarassing himself" by his actions.
Actually their local rag described Torquay as "not a pleasant bunch" - hilarious really and far better than last season when every opposition manager was telling us how good we are (after we had cheerfully gifted them the points)
Its a far better feeling to be hated whilst we hammer everybody.
I was surprised that someone described the ground as "souless" because on the radio it seemed as though World War three was going off.
Enjoyable commentary with Calamity Jane (Steve Breed) getting everything wrong. "good afternoon from the diva stadium" (oh dear) Chester City/United/Argyle/FC. It appears also that Chester will face a hefty fine having played Luke Rooney who was clearly not registered (I thought Breed was going to start calling him Wayne at one stage)
Also both commentators were giving the ref a fearful (and well deserved lambasting)
That said judging by the commentary Chester didn't have a worthile effort on goal in ninety minutes.
With a few injuries another good win.
Ok we are playing rubbish opposition - but I am not sure that any of the top sides are anything to worry about.
As I said before we appear to have been the better side in every game bar Gateshead and realistically we should be top of the league by now.
Hargreaves deserves some credit - Richards is looking quality. Bowman and O'Kachie are looking unpalyable at this level. Macdonald looks to have got better than last time he was here. Young is a genius signing. Ajala looks ok.
Even our full backs are playing well. Downes is rock solid - and our best player hasn't set foot on the pitch yet this season.
Happy days!