Chester v Torquay United – Tuesday 9th September 2014

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Chester v Torquay United – Tuesday 9th September 2014

Post by Colorado Gull »

Back to back wins, looking for a third. Next up for United is Chester (not Chester City) away on Tuesday night. The home side’s form so far this season goes like this; LLWLDLW and won their last game at home to Macclesfield Town 1-0. Just like Dartford, Chester should be playing in the league below the Conference, as they were relegated last season finishing 21st. However, because Salisbury and Hereford were demoted, Chester were reprieved. Nevertheless, the home side for Tuesday’s game have done a terrific job in getting back close to the Football League ever since the end of the original club, Chester City.
I don’t know what the starting XI will be for Chester, but as they won their last game, it would be a good bet that they will be unchanged, unless there is an injury that I don’t know about.

01 Worsnop
06 Charnock
03 Roberts
04 Kay Booked
17 Harrison
15 Hall (Mahon - 69' )
10 Rooney
22 Heneghan
08 James
16 McConville
19 Hobson

Substitutes
07 Mahon
09 Iwelumo
13 Roberts
18 Riley
24 Morris

Chester are nicknamed ‘The Blues’ and play at the Deva Stadium, a capacity of 5,126 (4,500 seated). This ground was opened in 1992. All four sides are covered and are roughly the same height, making the stadium look quite tidy. Each stand has Perspex windshields to each side, whilst the corners of the ground are open. The stadium is a small, fairly simple affair with three sides being seated and the home end being terrace. The Main (East) Stand is slightly taller than the facing Centurion Community Stand, having a few more rows of seating and some enclosed glassed viewing areas at the back of it. The home end is the only terraced area at the stadium and is called the Harry McNally Terrace after a former manager. The stadium is completed with a set of four thin modern floodlight pylons. One interesting fact about the ground is that most of it (apart from the club offices and front car park) is in actually situated in Wales. For United fans making the journey; Away fans are normally housed in part of the Centurion Community Stand on one side of the pitch.

Where to drink, from the ground guide; There is a Social Club at the ground that does admit away supporters, for an entrance fee of £1. However the Club is on the small size (having a capacity of 120 people) so can quickly get full. There are not many drinking outlets near to the ground so it may be advisable to drink in Chester City Centre before the match, although this is a good 20 minute walk away from the ground.

How to get there and park (by car) from the ground guide; The ground is located out of town on an industrial estate. Stay on the M56 until its end and then continue along the A494 towards Queensferry and North Wales. Take the A548 turn off towards Chester & Flint and at the roundabout take the first exit towards Chester (A548). At the next roundabout again go left continuing along the A548 towards Chester. Head straight through the first set of traffic lights and after passing a Vauxhall and then a Renault garage on your left, turn right at the next lights (there is a Volvo & Jaguar delaership on the corner) into Sovereign Way. Continue to the end of Sovereign Way and then turn right into Bumpers Lane and the entrance to the Club car park is just down on the right. If you team is bringing a large following then allow some more time for your journey as the roads around the stadium can quickly become jammed. There is plenty of car parking available at the ground (£1), however if you use the club car park, it can be quite difficult to get away easily after the match.

By train, from the ground guide; Chester railway station is over two miles from the ground, so it is probably best to jump in a taxi which will cost around £6. Leave the station by the main exit opposite the Town Crier, and turn right into Station Road. Head between the Egerton Arms and the Railway Inn, and at the end of the street enter the underpass. In the underpass look for the first exit and then steps signed for Frodsham Street. Head towards the Oddfellows Arms but just before the bridge turn right into Gorse Stacks. When reaching the crossroads by the Bull & Stirrup go straight over into Canal Street and on under the dual carriageway ring road. At the next junction turn left, past Telford's Warehouse on the right hand side, and over the canal. The road then divides. Take the right hand option, South View Road. At the T-junction at the end of South View Road turn right. You are now in Sealand Road. Carry along Sealand Road for half a mile or so until you see Bumpers Lane on your left. Around half a mile down Bumpers Lane you'll reach the stadium.

Seating:
Adults £18, Concessions £12, Under 21's £10, Under 16's £3, Under 5's Free

Terrace:
Adults £15, Concessions £10, Under 18's £6, Under 16's £3, Under 5's Free

Programme; £2.50.

As for United, this is a very winnable game. If we play like we did against Nuneaton, we should be in for another 3 points. A draw won’t be the worst result, but we should definitely go for it! Pretty certain the side will be the same, however, Cameron did go off injured last game in the first half, so we will have to see. But Chappell looked good when he came on and it should just be a straight swap if Cameron is out.

The boys will need all the support once again. The atmosphere was fantastic on Saturday, let’s hope we get behind them on Tuesday. Hopefully we’ll see a good number of Gulls fans up there. Let this be our winning streak!

COYY.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

You learn something everyday, i still thought they called Chester City !

My last visit to the deva stadium was in the spring of 1998, when Rodney jack scored a sublime goal, I think we won that 3-1 ^.^
Lucy
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Also interesting if we do a Monday night stop over, or travel on the day. Will finance or relaxation and mental rest determine our season
Lucy
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

The sheer fact that they have Kieron Charnock as a regular starter indicates we should have enough about us to beat them. He stopped being good enough for us about 4 years ago!
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Luke Young named in the conference team of the week after the Nuneaton game :bow:
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I'll be there for the game!
Popside Joe
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Asa Hall

Post by Popside Joe »

Looking forward to my first taste of the action this season! My last memory of the Deva Stadium was Lee Thorpe's last minute equaliser... Name the year
manchestergulls
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: alex russell

Post by manchestergulls »

Looking forward to this game very winnable game and we should come away with the 3 points
http://www.facebook/manchestergulls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
follow me on twitter @manchestergull
take me home to place where i belong, down at plainmoor to see united, take me home the torquay road.........
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I disagree with the sentiment that a point would be ok. At this stage of the season, position in the table is sort of meaningless. What tells a different story is goal difference. Chester's is 14 worse than ours, which, after 7 games, is a bit like us starting 2-0 up.

I know we can't take teams forgranted and whatnot, but we ought to be beating Chester.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Worryingly it seems we are travelling up on the day. That is a long way to go and then play a football match in the same day.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Richinns wrote:Worryingly it seems we are travelling up on the day. That is a long way to go and then play a football match in the same day.

With it being a night game, I don't think that it'll be too bad.
sam_
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Angus MacDonald

Post by sam_ »

Anyone have any idea when Briscoe is back? I should think a win would be important more for the morale going into arguably our toughest contest yet at Grimsby. Like Matt pointed out, points at this early stage aren't that important, and that goal difference is as important, with teams scoring 3/4 a game! Fully confident that we should walk away with all 3 though. RE Cameron, nothing has been published to the main sight, and I haven't heard anything that would suggest he's out. Presumably, as it was 2-0, it was a precautionary sub. Although, as I write this, there has probably been an announcement saying he's out for three months.
We'll be back...
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

You haven't checked the OS sufficiently recently. Cameron is out for a fortnight and joins Briscoe, Bennerz and Harding on the treatment table with hamstring trouble.

Matt.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Rice

Tonge
Downes
MacDonald
Cruise

Chappell
Richards
Young
Ajala

Ofori-Acheampong
Bowman

Subs; Seabright, Pearce, Wakefield, Yeoman, (whoever - I'd like to see Niall).
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Is the correct answer.

Matt.