Chester v Torquay United – Tuesday 9th September 2014

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
StretfordGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by StretfordGull »

Hi everyone.
Obviously I'm new on here.
I've been following the site and thought I'd finally join in.
I was at the game last night and was hugely encouraged.
After the debacle of the past two seasons, I feel we've turned a corner.
We seem to have a central midfield that have all of the attributes a midfielder needs, ie good with and without the ball, decent tackling and a good range of passing.
I think Richards and Young are the best two midfielders we've had since O'Kane left and could probably do a job in league 2.
Chappel and Ajala have pace.
The two centre backs look solid.
O'Achie doesn't have a great touch but I imagine he's a total nightmare to defend against.
Bowman looks like he's too good to play in the conference. He'll get 20 goals this season if he doesn't headbutt anyone.
It seems to me like we have a better side now than when we were in the football league (but that could be the poor opposition) so credit to Hargreaves regardless.
I can't imagine there are many more better all round sides than us in this division, but time will tell.

A word on the ref last night:
We were camped in the opposite corner to where it happened, but we all saw the red card and all cheered. The Chester fans were kicking off and I just presumed this was because it wasn't a sending off (it was).
Then 5 minutes later I realised they still had 11 players. I've never seen anything like it.
It was a sending off. The defender was unquestionably the last man, therefore it was red. I think the ref panicked and will himself accept that he made the wrong decision.
What I don't understand is why the Chester fans were on his back. They finished the game with an extra man because of him. I suppose he was so bad that both sets of fans recognised that.

We still won though eh. Comfortably so as well. Rice never made a save and their goalkeeper was excellent.
Hopefully we can go on and get results against the bigger teams in the league, starting with Saturday.
Ta.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Stretford, I wasn't at the game so can't comment on the chester match, but I totally agree with what you say about the squad and CH. I in particular was very impressed with Richards looks to me like a quality signing!
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

I think it is a sign of the increasing optimism that after 75 minutes last night, with Ethangull frantically updating us, the site froze solid: due, I suspect to the numbers of users online and posting!
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

chippygull wrote:I think it is a sign of the increasing optimism that after 75 minutes last night, with Ethangull frantically updating us, the site froze solid: due, I suspect to the numbers of users online and posting!
Yeah the twitter feed said as their was 400+ users that the server needed to be rebutted and after the game it was back to normal
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Another good win, well done lads, as usual all I can say is -

You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

From another forum, which I've not previously visited, so it could be that this bloke is an outright fantasist (which seems likely).

"I spoke to someone this morning who confirmed that the Torquay player with the double-barrel name did indeed spit in the face of Craig Hobson as they went down the tunnel. This was seen by the 4th official who did diddly squat. The guy shouldn't have come out for the second half. He does have history, I believe."

So, this is the third version of the story doing the rounds (each, of course, confirmed by a mystery source). Now it seems that it was Duane who did the spitting. Now, with the best will in the world, it is absolutely impossible to confuse Duane with Angus. Just have a look at the names, how similar do you think Duane Ofori-Acheampong looks to Angus MacDonald? One central African dictator and one Scottish porridge farmer.

I did have the opportunity to speak with the farmer last night and he laughed his ass off when I mentioned it to him. So the story goes, their team waited for him outside the changing rooms (as if they might be nine years old). When that didn't bring any joy, they made an attempt to get on our coach in order to see him. Genuinely hilarious behaviour from grown men.

Still, done and forgotten now. We've got our three points and clean sheet, they can bleat all they like. That said, I do quite like the idea that we might be a team of fighters. Please, let's encourage that rumour, imagine the shock when we line up with "Ben" and Richards in the midfield, a total of about 14 stone between them.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

ferrarilover wrote:Direct? We couldn't be direct if our lives depended on it. We're a footballing side, I'm afraid. They think we're direct, wait 'til they come up against Dartford. Besides, we only look big because of Duane, replace him with Benyon and we look like a team of midgets.

Matt.
You're confusing footballing terminologies here. Direct suggests getting up the pitch quickly, so you'll find a lot of counter attacking sides considered direct as they are up at the other team's box within 2 or 3 passes. It isn't the same as hoofing a ball up the field.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"