Torquay United v Nuneaton Town – Saturday 6th September 2014

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

hector wrote:How can Brucie say that was a boring game? Ridiculous.

Nuneaton were poor but that need not take away from a super performance from Torquay. Had it finished 7 or 8 nil, then there could have been no complaints. It was the best football I have seen from a Torquay team since O'Kane et al tore Plymouth apart at Home Park. Really good brand of football being developed and it could just be that Hargreaves team are a little ahead of schedule in terms of challenging for the play-offs but we are nicely tucked amongst the chasing pack at the moment.

The thing that pleased me the most today was the excellent, composed performance of Tom Cruise. Much maligned, slated by many, I hope he can build upon his game today because that was the best left-back performance we have seen at Plainmoor for a couple of years - he didn't put a foot wrong. Well played, Tom, and I hope people get off his back now.

I think everyone played their part - Rice pulled off an early save when the Nuneaton player had a virtual open goal at 0-0 and it could have been very different if they had something to protect, so Rice certainly played his part in the victory.

Tonge, like Cruise, had a great game - he was actually the attacking threat, I think Hargreaves has wanted from his full-backs and it wouldn't surprise me if Tonge/Downes, followed Chapell by coming off the transfer list.

The midfield pair of Young and Richards is what we have been crying out for since O'Kane left. Richards is a real diamond and I don't think we will keep him for long and Young is growing into his captain role especially well. Ajala and Cameron, were particularly threatening and what joy to have two forwards who look like they can do some damage.

That team would be doing ok in League 2 - certainly better than what Knill was fielding a year ago and probably at a fraction of the cost. Hargreaves deserves some credit for assembling a promising young team that is capable of playing some stunning football. An excellent day.
:goodpost:

BOO to Brucie !!!!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Google tells me it's Exodus Geohaghon, which means I got it wrong in my previous post too. Since getting someone's name wrong is poor form, I'll make a swift apology to him here.

Good old Tezza, managing to find the negatives in a 4-0 home win. Consider my cap well and truly doffed.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Brucie obviously fancies himself as the Duchess from Alice in Wonderland. He only does it to annoy because he knows it teases.

Well done to the team yesterday. More than holding our own now.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

In places some of the best football we have seen for more than 2 years, keep it up!!
However this is what we should be doing against at least three quarters of the the teams in this league.
Please don't get carried away about Cruise and Tonge, anyone can look good going forward when they've had nothing to defend against, they are still the weak links in a team that is beginning to develop.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its not a question of negatives at all - it was a good peformance of course noones arguing about that, I just found the Aldershot and Southport games more exciting thats all. Probably not used to see us winning a game 4-0.
It may well be that Cruise is improving having played a few games.
I just don't think that any comparisons could be made as to how this team would fare in league 2. The standard of the opposition yesterday as opposed to what we faced last year - well the difference is huge.
Richards was excellent yesterday.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Last years team would have drawn that game 0-0. With Benyon and Hawley up front there would have been zero threat and there was simply a lack of energy and desire. I think the way our team played yesterday - even against inferior opposition - they would have wiped the floor with the TUFC team of last season.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

ferrarilover wrote:Google tells me it's Exodus Geohaghon, which means I got it wrong in my previous post too. Since getting someone's name wrong is poor form, I'll make a swift apology to him here.

Good old Tezza, managing to find the negatives in a 4-0 home win. Consider my cap well and truly doffed.
Matt.
Thanks Matt. Whatever happened to the good old days when players were simply called Smith, Taylor, Collins etc. When I was in my 'prime', we had three Smiths playing at the same time - John, Harry and Jack. Much easier. Trojan will remember !! =D

I agree with Brucie - oh dear, I'm morphing into Wivel - but he chose the wrong word. Don't get me wrong - that was the best performance from a Torquay side for a long, long time. As Hector rightly says, energy and commitment - unlike last season, there seems to be a good team spirit amongst this bunch of players and they're such exciting young players - not only Luke Young and Courtney Richards, but also Ayala, O'Achie and McDonald and not forgetting Courtney Cameron. Nuneaton came out all fired up in the second half and put us under a bit of pressure for about 20 mins, but once that fourth goal went in, it became more like a cat playing with a mouse - no contest. It wasn't boring but the match was over within the hour - but I'm certainly not complaining ! There will be more competitive challenges ahead. :scarf:
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

What happened?

I walked out of Plainmoor yesterday afternoon with a smile on my face that had been missing for 2-3 years thanks to the dross we've had to watch. Yesterdays performance, albeit against a very weak Nuneaton team, was exciting, creative and structured. Something we've lacked for some time.

I thought Young was MOM but with Richards alongside, we look very threatening from the middle of the park. Cameron and Ajala were having fun and when Cameron went off, Chapell came on and carried on tormenting the away full backs.

Duane and Ryan up front look formidable and will give many defences a headache this season.

I thought Tonge had a very good game and whilst the opposition were weak, he takes a lot of flak on here each week so he deserves credit for yesterdays performance.

I wasn't in favour of Hargreaves when the appointment was made but over the past few weeks, there are signs of a team who are trying to play football the right way and who look to have a good team spirit. Lets hope it continues on Tuesday night in Chester.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

tomogull wrote: Whatever happened to the good old days when players were simply called Smith . . . . . . we had three Smiths playing at the same time - John, Harry and Jack. Trojan will remember !! =D
I know of three legends called Thomas, Richard and Herbert aka Tom, Dick and Harry. I never saw Smiths Harry and Jack play but I saw Alan, John, Dave, Jimmy and Mark (Harry's buhy) though.

Then there's Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Titch. :)

And just for Gullstalker a feminist band called Fay Dee, Jodie, Becky, Mich' and Tits. :devil:

I'm glad the tits (Benyon and Hawley) were out against Nuneaton. TAXI FOR BENYON!!! . . . Buckland Athletic are waiting. :clap:

I didn't go Plainmoor, I was on the beach :) listening to the 4-0 on Radio Devon. I hope they get Independence, so the Jock will f*ck off back to Scotland. :engflag:

Some seem to have got carried away with one result. I'll give it 10 games (10 home games) before I part with anymore hard earned. My snap observation from the first opening game and the most recent one is Duane O', Richards and Ajala didn't start against the Heed. Hardon get in the taxi with Benyon. :nod:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Trojan 67 wrote: I know of three legends called Thomas, Richard and Herbert aka Tom, Dick and Harry. I never saw Smiths Harry and Jack play but I saw Alan, John, Dave, Jimmy and Mark (Harry's buhy) though.

Then there's Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Titch. :)

And just for Gullstalker a feminist band called Fay Dee, Jodie, Becky, Mich' and Tits. :devil:

I'm glad the tits (Benyon and Hawley) were out against Nuneaton. TAXI FOR BENYON!!! . . . Buckland Athletic are waiting. :clap:

I didn't go Plainmoor, I was on the beach :) listening to the 4-0 on Radio Devon. I hope they get Independence, so the Jock will f*ck off back to Scotland. :engflag:

Some seem to have got carried away with one result. I'll give it 10 games (10 home games) before I part with anymore hard earned. My snap observation from the first opening game and the most recent one is Duane O', Richards and Ajala didn't start against the Heed. Hardon get in the taxi with Benyon. :nod:
Bliddy 'ell, Trojan - I don't know what was in that ice cream you had on the beach yesterday but it sure must have been more than rum n raisin ! I'm trying not to get carried away but honestly, Troj - take it from a fellow old timer, some of these players are the most exciting prospects we've had at Plainmoor for years. Players like O'Achie and Richards are improving every match and Luke Young - all I can say is Thank You, Argyle !!!!! Two long trips to Chester & Grimsby this week. Grimsby will present more of a challenge to be able to gauge where we're really at. Woking Tuesday week - get yerself there !
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

I wrote a proper review but that seems to have lost in the ether so in summary:

Great passing, moving and space filling - simple but brilliant! Nice to have midfielders who can break up play too.
Well done Tom Cruise - I've always doubted him but he was great.
Forwards worked very hard, will cause anyone problems, with a better first touch would've each had a goal first half but overall great and brilliant setup for Young's second.