Torquay United v Aldershot Town – Monday 25th August 2014

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

This is what I dont get about Hargreaves really. He has consistently refused to bring back our best player in Pearce citing that the back four (+ Rice) are keeping clean sheets. Thats fair enough yet today he drops the much maligned Cruise and brings in a youngster at full back who has no experience. In fact he plays him on the day that we have no experience hardly anywhere else in the team.
I am not denying that Ives is a good prospect but his error cost us two points again today.
I doubt that Cruise would have made that error that led to their equaliser.
In fact we are blowing points like they are going out of fashion.
I don't see the point in Hargreaves lambasting the ref at the end of every game
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

For me, there were more positives than negatives today. I think any thoughts about getting back into league 2 at the first attempt are pie in the sky but I think these players will learn together and develop into a useful side. There were several young players out there today with little experience of football even at this level. O'Achie is surprisingly quick for a big guy and a goal would do him a lot of good I feel. My frustration was the number of misplaced passes when in good positions - almost every player was guilty of this at some stage. There were several times when a promising move was spoiled by a poor pass.

Aldershot came on stronger in the second half but they had an extra day's rest as they played home to Eastleigh on Friday night. Some of our players looked as if they were struggling in the last 20 mins or so after playing two games in three days, plus long coach trips to Dartford and back. Joe Oastler had a good game in the centre of the Shots defence (although he got away with several shirt pulls on O'Achie - if we can see it from the stands, why can't the ref and linesmen see it ?) and Damon Lathrope was his usual dependable self in midfield for them. I am enjoying my football a lot more than last season because I can see promise in this side. Another long trek on Saturday to Lincoln, and another tough game ...
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote:This is what I dont get about Hargreaves really. He has consistently refused to bring back our best player in Pearce citing that the back four (+ Rice) are keeping clean sheets. Thats fair enough yet today he drops the much maligned Cruise and brings in a youngster at full back who has no experience. In fact he plays him on the day that we have no experience hardly anywhere else in the team.
Cruise wasn't even one of the subs today so maybe he picked up a knock at Dartford ? Bit of a dilemma for Hargreaves re Krystian Pearce. Most of us would agree that Pearce is the club's best player but Downes and McDonald are playing so well together, it wouldn't be fair to drop either of them, or move Angus to right back as has been suggested.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Tad dissapointed with the start to the season but it is to early to predict an outcome to the season.

Take Luton who started their 2013–14 Conference campaign slowly, scoring only two goals from open play in their first eight games to leave the club in the lower reaches of mid-table. However, performances and results soon picked up, resulting in a club-record 27-match unbeaten run in which the team scored 78 goals.

[quote="hector"]It was ok today. I would have settled for a point before the game but while Spotlight were suggesting we are 4 games unbeaten, we are now three without a win and I see that continuing at Lincoln next week..................

6pts out of 15 is not great with 4 of the 6 pts coming from teams already marooned in the relegation zones. I think what we are seeing is a team that will do OK at home but will struggle away and will probably end up where we are in the table now. It is interesting to see the that table already seems to have settled into what you might expect to see at the end of the season: Halifax, Barnet, FGR, Eastleigh, Lincoln, Gateshead, Wrexham, Grimsby being the top 8, while Dover, Altrincham, Telford, Dartford, Welling, Nuneaton, Alfreton are already the bottom 7 - with us somewhere in between.[/quote]
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

So my take on yesterday which to me looked like two average teams both tired from playing two games in two days.

Very little in the way of goalmouth action and draw was probably a fair result although their goal was a complete farce in the fact their number 10 was holding Ives back which therefore blocked him from getting across to make a challenge. With a bit of experience he should have made a real big deal and gone down making the foul (even more!) obvious but in no way was he at fault for the goal.

Rice - Little or nothing to do most of the game. Kicking poor at times. Hargreaves seemed to indicate he might have been some part been at fault for their goal but I could not tell from my viewpoint so will have to watch the highlights. 5

Tonge - Thought he was ok yesterday. Defensively fairly solid and did his job. Not a right lot offensively and distribution was conference level most of the time but sound at the back. 6

MacDonald - Solid and dependable. Did his job well and very few errors. 7

Downes - Had a very good game. Needlessly booked (as is the Downes way!) but led the back four well and was very good vocally in supporting Ives. Won almost everything in his area and led by example – 8

Ives - First things first – no fault (other than perhaps he should have hit the deck) for their goal. Not lightning but positionally looks a far better player than Cruise. Won a high percentage of headers for someone his height and one very important one against a big striker on the back post which probably stopped a goal. Distribution indicates why he was so highly thought of as almost every ball had a purpose instead of the ‘clear the decks’ mentality. Impressive debut. 8

Richards - Did most things fairly well. Nothing exciting but a dependable and crucial player for the team. Sometimes distribution was a little wobbly and I am deductiong a point for demanding the ball off Rice which almost cost us. That was pure stupidity! 6

Young - If there is a better midfielder in this division I would be shocked. Everytime he is on the ball you think he could create a goal scoring ball. Thought he battled hard as well. A leader by the way he plays the game and I am so pleased Argyle let him go. Couple of errors but every playmaker will have these moments. 8.5

Chapell - Had a few decent moments and decent pace. Needs to get his head up at times when on the ball. Ran straight at defenders like he was hoping they were going to disappear wasting a decent situation on more than one occasion. Missed a late chance which was a decent opportunity. Like any winger has good and bad days and this was a fairly poor one for me 5.5

Cameron - Basically see the Chapell review. Got himself in great positions a number of occasions but let himself and the team down with the decision making once there. A poor day for him but he looks a quality player for this level and I think he will have a good season this year. 5.5

Ajala - Couple of moments where he did well but overall looked very tired and lost the ball on numerous occasions. Nit a good day for him and received much feedback from Hargreaves about where he should be and what he should be doing. Was played out of position which did not help him. 5

O’Archie - Still not quite sure what to thnk! Bamby on ice is my overall impression although not totally in effective. Poor in the air for someone of his height and ball bounced off him too much. Needs to work on his hold up play but decent and deceptive pace. 5

Subs:
Briscoe - Big lad who seems to carry more weight than ideal. Thought he did fairly well when he came on - especially when moved into O’Archie’s position when he held the ball up very effectively and won more headers in those 10ish minutes the O’Archie did all game. Missed a good opportunity whilst on the wing where I think he should have put it across goal instead of shooting. Would be tempted to play him up top with Bowman in future games with Ajala/Chapell moving/starting on the wing. 7

Wakefield - Did little wrong but nothing to really talk about. No real time to have an impression. 6

Sullivan - See Wakefield. 6

OVERALL - not a great spectacle but at times there were seedlings of the sort of football which would bring excitement and goals back to Plainmoor. Some poor decision making on the day and a scrappy and fairly uneventful game. Officals were totally awful and the fact they missed the blatant foul on Ives which lasted for over 5 seconds sums them up. Why do this type always seem to turn up at plainmoor for a jolly?
Will be midish table on that form but I think that we will get better as the season progresses and the young squad will learn a lot as the season unfolds.
Last edited by Richinns on 26 Aug 2014, 16:04, edited 2 times in total.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Tomogull - according to Hargreaves Cruise wasn't injured - so he was prepared to change a defence which had kept three clean sheets. You could argue that this was just as unfair on Cruise as it would have been to leave out one of the centre halves.
Irrespective of how well Ives played he made an error which cost us another two points so as a management decision, it didn't look the right one to me.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Furthermore Hargreaves came up with excuses as usual which he seems to do everytime we fail to win (which seems to be every game).
Yesterdays were that Aldershot had spent loads of money (really?) and that we were tired because of the travelling. Yet Aldershot are apparently another part time side so this doesn't really hold up.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

brucie wrote:Tomogull - according to Hargreaves Cruise wasn't injured - so he was prepared to change a defence which had kept three clean sheets. You could argue that this was just as unfair on Cruise as it would have been to leave out one of the centre halves.
Irrespective of how well Ives played he made an error which cost us another two points so as a management decision, it didn't look the right one to me.
I think when you see the highlights your opinion might change brucie. It was a blatant foul and obstructed him from getting across to deal with the player on the ball. He had hold of him for a number of seconds. The pi$$ poor officials cost us the two points - not Ives.
TUST member 328
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Long way away but I thought Ives got caught in the wrong position - in general the ref was poor indeed blowing up for fulltime when the ball went out for a corner was ridiculous.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Whether Ives made an error for their goal or not, I think you cannot expect a better debut than this for a kid who has not long turned 17. There was one moment in the first half when he looked like he had lost possession, he won the ball back, dummied the forward and then played this superb ball that split their defence for, maybe Cameron - can't remember who, to run onto. The forward should have done better and then Ives would have had an assist to his name for a goal he created from nothing.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I didn't say he didn't play well just that he made an error for the goal.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Out of interest, is Young still captaining the side?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

When I saw the final result I groaned, another draw how dull. Having read the comments on here from those of you who attended the game I feel a little more confident going into the game against Lincoln on Saturday, a game which I will be attending.

Ives sounds a decent prospect and sounds like he could give Cruise a run for his money at left back. I'm glad to read Downes turned his abysmal display against Dartford into a head and shoulders above the rest performance against Aldershot. I am a little bit worried about our lack of goal scoring, though Bowman missing 3 games isn't ideal, Yeoman I think could score goals - more so than Benyon. Is O'Achie any good?
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Out of interest, is Young still captaining the side?
He is
TUST member 328
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Richinns wrote: He is
Thanks Rich :)

How is he as captain? Does he lead well etc? Many thought that maybe Pearce would have been the more obvious choice and, if he hadn't been injured, he would have been made captain.

Does Young deserve to stay as captain?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com