Torquay United v Aldershot Town – Monday 25th August 2014

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Torquay United v Aldershot Town – Monday 25th August 2014

Post by Colorado Gull »

After another disappointing 0-0 draw, Torquay play at home against Aldershot on the bank holiday Monday. The visitors for Monday’s game are nicknamed ‘The Shots’, let’s hope that our shots find the back of the net for this game! Aldershot have had a pretty good start to the season, winning two, drawing one and losing one. They drew 1-1 the Saturday just gone at home to Forest Green Rovers. The two sides for Monday’s game have faced each other a good number of times in recent history, the most recent a 1-0 defeat on Tuesday 19th February 2013. I’m sure we all remember the terrific 4-3 victory at home against Aldershot on Tuesday 2nd October 2012, coming back from 3-0 down! The last 5 against Aldershot have gone like this; LLWWWL. It’s even Stevens. An interesting stat for you all, the last time we played Aldershot that WASN’T a Tuesday night was Monday 3rd March 2008, where the Gulls lost 2-1 at home. Also, the last time we played Aldershot on a Saturday, was Saturday 8th April 1990, where Torquay lost 2-1 again at home.

Aldershot Town have 7 points so far this season, sitting in 9th position with a +4 goal difference. I’m pretty confident in saying that Aldershot will probably be unchanged for the game on Monday. Torquay will see ex-Gulls players Joe Oastler and Damon Lathrope, I’m also pretty certain that they will get a good reception. So here’s the line up they had against FGR;

01 Smith
02 Oastler
12 Gibbs
04 Lathrope
05 Wilson
06 Barker (Tonkin - 39' )
08 Molesley (N'Guessan - 63' )
14 Roberts
11 Scott
09 Williams (Fitchett - 79' )
07 Hatton

Substitutes
03 Tonkin
10 Fitchett
13 Thomas
18 N'Guessan
19 Derry

I hope the Aldershot fans bring good numbers to Plainmoor for Monday’s game, their fans are superb. It is always a great atmosphere away at Aldershot, good drumming by both supporters and good noise. Let’s hope we see something like that tomorrow. The Shots fans are a colourful bunch, with many flags and banners to get behind their team.

As for Torquay, this will be a difficult game. The visitors have a strong side and they will be much better opposition compared to Southport and Dartford. Seeing as we could only draw to those sides, I’m not sure United fans are very confident. There needs to be a change up front seeing as we have been unable to score without Bowman. Many Gulls fans are calling for Pearce, perhaps moving MacDonald to right back and having Downes and Pearce in the middle. Having said that, I’m not sure Hargreaves will do that seeing as we have kept three clean sheets. The real issue is how we are going to put that ball in the back of the net. Briscoe is not a winger. He doesn’t have the pace; he looks more like a forward to me. Maybe put Briscoe alongside Ofori-Acheampong, or Yeoman and bring Ofori on later on in the game. Perhaps it is time for Chappell to see what he’s got and put him on the wing, with Cameron on the other. We’ve got Ajala to use as well, as a sub or as a starting player. The centre of midfield should stay as it is. Here’s the side I’d like to see;

Rice

Tonge (Wouldn’t mind seeing MacDonald here, but I think Dale will play)
MacDonald (Therefore Pearce would be here)
Downes
Cruise

Cameron
Young
Richards
Chappell/Ajala

Briscoe
Yeoman (Ofori-Acheampong ’60)

Substitutes
Seabright
Pearce/Tonge
Chappell/Ajala
Wakefield
Ofori-Acheampong

The odds; Torquay 11/10, Aldershot 9/4, Draw 9/4.

This will be a difficult game for the home side, so they will need all the support they can get. The atmosphere against Southport was very poor in the first half, but picked up in the second. I realise that the atmosphere relies on how the players are performing, but the support really does help. The drum will be there again, let’s get behind the lads to try and get three points. Every game is winnable, we can do it.

COYY.

Link to main site; http://www.torquayfans.com/2014/torquay ... -2014-3pm/
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

A good preview, Danny - well done!

Bearing in mind the performance in 3 out of 4 games so far, that we are without Bowman, it doesn't augur well and I suspect my record of not seeing Torquay win since Southend last winter and win only twice since April 13, is going to continue. I would probably be happy with a point from this.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

A difficult game and we are going to have to buck up to get anything out of this one. A key factor here could be that Aldershot played on Friday night. They looked unlucky to lose at Eastleigh and will cause us problems.
With Harding and Bowman out, and Ajala possibly injured as well we are looking threadbare already.
I think Hargreaves playede an inexperienced line up on Saturday and given that we have had a one day turnaround he needs to freshen things up tomorrow.

I would like to see the following team:

Rice

Tonge-Pearce-Downes-Cruise

Cameron-Young-Wakefield-Chapell

Benyon-Yeoman

Subs: Macdonald,Richards,Thompson,Briscoe/Ajala,O'Kachie
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I'm expecting one change for this game with Yeoman coming back in for Briscoe with Ajala moving to the wing. Either that or Briscoe and Ajala swapping places. I would like to see Chapel return to the bench, possibly at the expense of Benyon.
I'm going for a 2-1 win, Ofori-Acheampong & Young.
2001 in attendance.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:The last 5 against Aldershot have gone like this; LLWWWL. It’s even Stevens.

Also, the last time we played Aldershot on a Saturday, was Monday 8th April 1990.
:lol: =D Otherwise, good preview.. :)

Stevens..?? :O
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Gullscorer wrote: :lol: =D Otherwise, good preview.. :)

Stevens..?? :O

:Oops: :Oops: :Oops:

Good Jesus :slap: what a typo :no:

Luckily I can edit it, along with your quote :na: ;-)
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

brucie wrote:A difficult game and we are going to have to buck up to get anything out of this one. A key factor here could be that Aldershot played on Friday night. They looked unlucky to lose at Eastleigh and will cause us problems.
With Harding and Bowman out, and Ajala possibly injured as well we are looking threadbare already.
I think Hargreaves playede an inexperienced line up on Saturday and given that we have had a one day turnaround he needs to freshen things up tomorrow.

I would like to see the following team:

Rice

Tonge-Pearce-Downes-Cruise

Cameron-Young-Wakefield-Chapell

Benyon-Yeoman

Subs: Macdonald,Richards,Thompson,Briscoe/Ajala,O'Kachie
Not sure why you would play Wakefield above Richards plus with your forward line you are obviously hoping we get away with a 0-0 because there aren't any goals in that pair - well, Yeoman, maybe, once a few weeks, whilst Benyon is once a blue moon!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I don't need an excuse not to go, but the fact a weather warning has been issued for Monday is a good enough reason. The real reason is I like to chant "COME ON YOU YELLOWS" down in the Boots and Laces corner every time there's a TQ corner in that location. There will be no corners, there have been no corners - check the facts - check the BBC Sport webshite.

"There are lies, dam lies and statistics."

:engflag:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Part looking forward to this part not. Very kindly invited by the match sponsor for tomorrows game so no10's and the posh seats in the family stand for me, any motm requests ? :)

As for the match, could be along afternoon without Bowman, personally think CH will keep the side the same with maybe Yeoman starting, I would like to see Chapell start tomorrow, as said elsewhere wouldn't argue either way, whether Pearce comes back in or not.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Lew
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Ben Harding

Post by Lew »

An Aldershot Town preview on this match

http://theshotsblog.wordpress.com/2014/ ... -united-2/
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

I know it's a bank holiday but after 2 0-0 against the so called poorer teams and due to the rain I don't think there will as many as against southport
However we proved that with 1400 fans in some Tuesday night matches that atmosphere still can be raised. This is our toughest home game so far and we need to get behind the lads. COYY
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I would disagree with that - what else is there to do on a bank holiday monday when its raining? - its either go to football or diy, so thats why I'm going.
Guess that Aldershot will bring a few so surely we will get 2000 for this.
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

brucie wrote:I would disagree with that - what else is there to do on a bank holiday monday when its raining? - its either go to football or diy, so thats why I'm going.
Guess that Aldershot will bring a few so surely we will get 2000 for this.
Fair enough I see you point forgot about away support. True what else to do hopefully 2000+ the clubs finances need higher attendances.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

just hope we spank them....

otherwise ill never hear the last of it from my shots supporting mate! :-/
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i think we'll lose 1-2 today, 1665 there
still keeping the faith