Dartford v Torquay United – Saturday 23rd August 2014 – 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

FT 0-0 :|
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

Another clean sheet but not really a good enough result imo.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

It will be interesting to read the reports as they filter through but bearing in mind Dartford missed a penalty, I'd say we got off lightly today.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Another two points dropped. Forget full-backs, we need someone who can stick the ball in the back of the net. The last two games show how much we rely on Bowman and we're not even sure he's going to score regularly when he stops headbutting opponents.

The main commentator on Radio Devon says it's been an encouraging start but I couldn't disagree more. We've played three teams who are among the weakest in the division and the mighty Gateshead who were thrashed 6-1 at home today to Grimsby. Five points from 12 is a poor return. Our next two games are against Aldershot and Lincoln but what hope do we have when we can't beat - or even score against - Southport and Dartford, who should really be playing in the Conference South.

You can have a pop at the players but when they are up at 5am to travel to Dartford on the same day as the game what do you expect? No wonder they ran out of steam in the second half. It's amateurish and quite frankly we're lucky to have even gained a point considering they missed a penalty.

Fed up and it's only August! It's getting to the point where I'm wondering how close to full fitness Karl Hawley is... and I'm not joking. Of course, the glass half-full argument will be that we are unbeaten in three and haven't conceded a goal since the opening day, but my glass is always half-empty when it comes to Torquay.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Didn't go to the game and didn't listen to it either so my opinion isn't valid, but a 0-0 draw against Dartford is poor. 2 points dropped again, we're surely not that reliant on Bowman yet!? Disappointing.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Anyone know how many Torquay fans went?
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular

Post by A Realist »

tommyg wrote:Another two points dropped. Forget full-backs, we need someone who can stick the ball in the back of the net. The last two games show how much we rely on Bowman and we're not even sure he's going to score regularly when he stops headbutting opponents.

The main commentator on Radio Devon says it's been an encouraging start but I couldn't disagree more. We've played three teams who are among the weakest in the division and the mighty Gateshead who were thrashed 6-1 at home today to Grimsby. Five points from 12 is a poor return. Our next two games are against Aldershot and Lincoln but what hope do we have when we can't beat - or even score against - Southport and Dartford, who should really be playing in the Conference South.

You can have a pop at the players but when they are up at 5am to travel to Dartford on the same day as the game what do you expect? No wonder they ran out of steam in the second half. It's amateurish and quite frankly we're lucky to have even gained a point considering they missed a penalty.

Fed up and it's only August! It's getting to the point where I'm wondering how close to full fitness Karl Hawley is... and I'm not joking. Of course, the glass half-full argument will be that we are unbeaten in three and haven't conceded a goal since the opening day, but my glass is always half-empty when it comes to Torquay.
Agree in part. For me, today and Southport have been 4 points lost that should not have been. The defence, like parts of last season, has been pretty solid but its beginning to look like the scoring problem is going to rear its head again.

Aldershot have started better than most expected so Monday will be a good test to see which direction the team is going to go.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Hopefully this is a period of gelling for the new team members - if we are not losing now :-D then it should get better as they get to know each others ways ..... :-D
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

On a side note, if Pearce is fit then he should be in the team. I know plenty will disagree with me because we've kept three clean sheets on the spin, but he's probably our best player (certainly our best defender). Downes gave another penalty away today, although he has been more solid than MacDonald from what I've seen so far.

It seems Wakefield, despite being a central midfielder, came on and played the final few minutes on the right. Why does Chapell want to stay again? Must be because Helen put his shirt up on the Soccer AM wall. Hopefully he'll start along with Pearce on Monday.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

tommyg wrote:
Unfortunately we've got to cut our cloth and when we're getting gates of under 2,000 we probably can't afford overnight stays every other week for 20+ personnel.

This season is going to be quite an eye opener and sadly I think we'll settle as a conference side for a few years like Grimsby, Lincoln, Wrexham and Luton all have/did.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »

Burnhamgull wrote: Unfortunately we've got to cut our cloth and when we're getting gates of under 2,000 we probably can't afford overnight stays every other week for 20+ personnel.

This season is going to be quite an eye opener and sadly I think we'll settle as a conference side for a few years like Grimsby, Lincoln, Wrexham and Luton all have/did.
Unfortunately :goodpost: and just being realistic. All those saying we should be winning these games ...why ? Many of our players are young and inexperienced but have potential and the experienced ones we do have are crap !!! When we have the likes of those ex league clubs mentioned above in this league for a few years why do people think that we have some God given right to beat anything in front of us ? Get real and accept what we are. None of us like it but that is the way it is :-/
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

What that was was 2 very very poor teams. 90 minutes I will want to forget in a hurry.

Once again all the opposition had to do was fall over and the referee would instantly give the free kick.

Loved the ground, hated the non segregation, if you don't like what we're singing, too bad. If you don't want us next to you, segregate us or move elsewhere. You don't have to stand next to us.

I hate this league. Sadly, I fear our stay will be a much longer one.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

With all due respect Dartford are not a good non league side. The excuse given when we were beaten easily by Gateshead was that we came up against some sort of world beaters. Well that arguement doesn't really hold up today does it?
Hargreaves sort of worries me really - in his radio interview he stated that "this was game we would have lost last season".
Thats actually nonsense because Dartford are a couple of classes below anything we faced in League 2.
As someone else said Pearce should be in the team - because quite frankly he is our best player. I appreciate that we have kept three clean sheets but you have got to look at the standard of the opposition.
The continuing exclusion of Chapell is beginning to look ridiculous - also with so many inexperienced players in the team I would have started Benyon today.
It does seem to look as though Hargreaves is favouring his own signings ie Macdonald instead of Pearce.
Briscoe instead of Chapell.
Having seen Aldershot against Eastleigh I think we will struggle on Monday. They have had an extra days rest so its time for Hargreaves to freshen it up a bit.
Looking at what we have played so far 5 points out of 12 is a poor return.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Let's be frank we are from the League they are from Conference South. 'Dangerous' they could be as you would expect from any home team but whatever the result we should be looking to have the balance of play. Yes it may well be a difficult season but we are a more professional club and we should be approaching every game in that way. Yes we will have shocks I am sure and this may be an 'inherited' team that now has to travel on match days but the teams who challenge most in this league will be those teams who go out on the pitch believing in themselves.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Back from what was almost a home game for me. To those of you who couldn't go you missed nothing. I have to say we were poor,about the same standard as Dartford who but for two excellent Rice saves in the first half plus their penalty miss could have won the match yes we had chances and Young did hit a post with the keeper beaten but it was the lack of creativity and abject attacking which was of concern.
Seems driving up on the day was not helpful but that's just an excuse as our overall performance was poor.
Having watched Aldershot on the opening day with Lathrope in midfield control Monday's match is going to be tough.
Missed Harding next to Young today and Bowman. On today's evidence Pearce should return to allow MacDonald to move to right back.
Interesting standing next to home supporters, I enjoyed the banter! Also having a free car park was a big bonus.