Dartford v Torquay United – Saturday 23rd August 2014 – 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Dartford v Torquay United – Saturday 23rd August 2014 – 3pm

Post by Colorado Gull »

United’s fourth game and second away game of the season is the 436.8 mile round trip to Dartford, Kent. The home side haven’t had the greatest of starts, picking up a single point from their first 3 games. Losing 2-1 on the opening game of the season at home to Wrexham, drawing with Woking (away) on the Tuesday night and losing 1-0 to Kevin Nicholson’s new side Kidderminster away last weekend. Dartford sit at 17th position with a -2 goal difference. Tomorrow will be Dartford’s first home game since the start of the season, so they will be up for getting their first three points in front of their home crowd.

The home side (nicknamed The Darts) should be playing in the Conference South this year as they finished 22nd last season. But as Hereford were expelled from the Conference and Salisbury demoted, Dartford (alongside Chester) were reprieved from relegation. However, the recent history of Dartford hasn’t been as gloomy. They were champions of the Isthmian League Division One North in the 2007–08 season and finished 8th in the Premier division of the Isthmian league the following year. The 2009-10 season saw The Darts gain promotion again, to the Conference South, by finishing as champions of the Premier Division. They finished in 10th place in their first season in the Conference South, but gained promotion again in the second attempt in the 2011-12 season, by winning in the Play Off final, finishing second in the league table. What’s more, the home side for tomorrow’s game have reached an FA Trophy final on one occasion; they match Torquay on that one! The last time Dartford reached the highest tier of the Conference, was in 1985. A very good achievement.

Dartford’s manager Tony Burman has added six new players to try and keep their Conference Premier place for another season. There may be a few changes to the game tomorrow, to make sure they have the strongest side to get their first victory. However, here is the line up they had at their last game;

01 Brown
15 Collier
03 Green
05 Bradbrook
14 Mitchell-King
04 McAuley
16 Sweeney (Hayes - 64' )
06 Cornhill
17 Crawford (Bradbrook - 63' )
10 Pugh
09 Daley (Harris - 73' )

Substitutes
07 Hayes
08 Noble
11 Harris
21 Ibrahim
23 Bradbrook

Bradbrook and McAuley have been The Darts’ only scorers, but McAuley was very close in becoming Dartford’s first winning goal scorer in the second game of the season; however Woking’s Sole scored in the 90th minute to grab a point.

Dartford’s ground is a rather new one, opened in 2006 named Princes Park. 4,100 capacity with 645 seats. A standard Conference ground, some might say better than many.

From the football ground guide; If segregation is in force then away fans are housed in the Car Park End. This covered terrace has a capacity of 700. In addition a small number of seats (24) are made available in the Main Stand. With no supporting pillars to contend with, then sightlines of the pitch are good. Although the ground is totally enclosed, it feels quite open as there is quite a large gap between the back of the stands and the stadium roof. Although this may allow more light and air into the stadium, so it does for wind and rain.
From the football ground guide; There is a small bar at the ground called the Defluo Bar which is specifically for the use of away fans. I believe that this bar also has Sky television. The entrance to it is in the car park at the away end of the stadium. There are also two good sized bars at the stadium, which also have Sky television, however these are more for home supporters. The nearest pub to the ground is the Ivy Leaf on Darenth Road, which is about a five minute walk away (from the stadium entrance turn right along Darenth Road, cross over the main road at the traffic lights and the pub is further up Darenth Road on the right). Whilst further along the same road is the Malt Shovel, which also does food. Both these pubs are listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide. Otherwise Dartford Town Centre is around a 15 minute walk away, where there are plenty of pubs to be found. Ones of note are the CAMRA Good Beer Guide listed Wat Tyler on the High Street, the Paper Moon Wetherspoons outlet opposite and another Wetherspoons outlet called the Flying Boat on Spital Street.

From the football ground guide; From the South:
Leave the M25 at Junction 2 (signposted A2/Dartford A225). At the roundabout below the roundabout take the Dartford A225 exit. At the next roundabout take the 1st exit by the Esso garage onto the A225 towards Dartford. Go straight across the next roundabout, passing a BP garage on the right. At the next set of traffic lights turn left into Darenth Road and then take the second left into Grassbanks for the stadium.
There is a car park at the stadium which has 300 spaces and is free. If this is full then drivers are directed towards the Orchards Shopping Centre Car Park, which charges £2 for 3-4 hours.

From the football ground guide; By train:
Dartford railway station is located just over a mile away from Princes Park. It is served by trains from Charing Cross and London Bridge. If on leaving the station you follow the pedestrian signs for the Orchard Shopping Centre then before the bridge going across the main road, descend the steps down to the road side. Just to left you will find a row of bus stops including the Fastrack B bus stop. This service runs every ten minutes during the day (every 20 minutes in the evenings) to the Bluewater Shopping Centre and stops at Princes Park. The cost (one way) is Adults £1, Children 50p. Otherwise a taxi from the station to the stadium will cost around £5.

Otherwise the ground is a 15-20 minute walk away. Descend down the steps as above (or at the bottom of the station approach road) keep to the left along the main road and at the roundabout take the exit signposted Central London (A2). At the next traffic lights bear left onto the A226 (signposted Dartford Crossing/Darent Hospital). Proceed up the hill and on reaching the Malt Shovel pub on your right, turn right onto Darenth Road. Continue along Darenth Road passing the Ivy Leaf pub on your left. Go straight across the main road at the traffic lights and then take the second left into Grassbanks for the stadium.

Prices:
Adults £16
Over 65's £8
Under 18's £5
Under 13's £2
Under 5's Free

Programme is £2.50.

The odds; Dartford 9/4, Torquay 6/5, Draw 23/10.

As for United, this is a game where the away side should be able to get at least a point, but I think many fans would be disappointed if we didn’t get the victory. It will be more difficult without main striker Ryan Bowman, who serves his first game ban (three altogether) after he got sent off because of a stupid head-butt at home to Southport last Saturday. Having said that, the Gulls had some great chances (mainly by Young, Ofori-Acheampong, Ajala and Cameron) to score and on a different day those chances would be taken, let’s hope that day is tomorrow. I think manager Chris Hargreaves will keep to the same side (Ofori-Acheampong replacing Bowman), but I would like to see (again) Ajala replace Briscoe. We look much more dangerous with Ajala on the pitch, Cameron on one wing and Ajala on another for the full 90 minutes, that’s what I’d love to see. Will we see the return of Pearce? I’m not sure we will see a change at the back, but it’s great to know we have him ready. Ben Harding is injured for tomorrow's game, so Richards to start? Another question, who will be our 4th and 5th substitute? Will we see the return of Jordan Chappell? Danny Sullivan to be named a sub? Elliot Benyon (I think this is the best bet)...anyone but Hawley.

Rice

Tonge
Downes
MacDonald
Cruise

Cameron
Richards (Correction - Harding injured)
Young (C)
Briscoe (come on Hargreaves, start Ajala)

Yeoman
Ofori-Acheampong

Substitutes
Seabright
Pearce
Chaney?/Ives?/Chappell?
Ajala (hopefully Briscoe)
Benyon (is what I’d guess Hargreaves to chose, I’d personally have Chappell)

Another Saturday, another game. One win, one draw and one loss, let’s hope we get another win. Going by the side we have, we really should win this one, regardless whether we are away. Some might say we should have beaten Southport (and they’d be right) but there was a lot going against us in that game and we did create chances to score, we just couldn’t finish them. Good clearing from the back, getting the ball down using Harding and Young, via the wings with pace, skill, good passing and even better crosses, long balls forward with Ofori-Acheampong getting it down and working well with Yeoman and players around him, I think we should do alright. Get behind the lads; bring the three point’s home.

COYY.

Link to main site; http://www.torquayfans.com/2014/dartfor ... -kick-off/
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I Harding fit? I'm expecting that starting 11 but with Richards in place of Harding and maybe a bench of Seabright, Pearce, Ives, Ajala & Chappel.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Harding is injured and the only central midfield cover we have got after Richards is young Chaney so he might get a place on the bench unless someone like Cruise can fill in for the role should anything happen to Young or Richards.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Ah yes. I forgot Harding is injured. OP edited.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

I'm well up for this one, can see us conceding, and then winning 2-1. Hoping for a good turnout from the capital Gulls. Breedy said that segregation won't be in force, so we'll have to try and claim one end, I'm not really sure what the etiquette is regarding these things!

COYY
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Usually swap ends. That's what happened at Lewes, ah some home fans stayed put but it was all light hearted fun
TUST MEMBER
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:United’s fourth game and second away game of the season is the 436.8 mile round trip to Dartford, Kent. The home side haven’t had the greatest of starts, picking up a single point from their first 3 games. Losing 2-1 on the opening game of the season at home to Wrexham, drawing with Woking (away) on the Tuesday night and losing 1-0 to Kevin Nicholson’s new side Kidderminster away last weekend. Dartford sit at 17th position with a -2 goal difference. Tomorrow will be Dartford’s first home game since the start of the season, so they will be up for getting their first three points in front of their home crowd.

The home side (nicknamed The Darts) should be playing in the Conference South this year as they finished 22nd last season. But as Hereford were expelled from the Conference and Salisbury demoted, Dartford (alongside Chester) were reprieved from relegation. However, the recent history of Dartford hasn’t been as gloomy. They were champions of the Isthmian League Division One North in the 2007–08 season and finished 8th in the Premier division of the Isthmian league the following year. The 2009-10 season saw The Darts gain promotion again, to the Conference South, by finishing as champions of the Premier Division. They finished in 10th place in their first season in the Conference South, but gained promotion again in the second attempt in the 2011-12 season, by winning in the Play Off final, finishing second in the league table. What’s more, the home side for tomorrow’s game have reached an FA Trophy final on one occasion; they match Torquay on that one! The last time Dartford reached the highest tier of the Conference, was in 1985. A very good achievement.

Dartford’s manager Tony Burman has added six new players to try and keep their Conference Premier place for another season. There may be a few changes to the game tomorrow, to make sure they have the strongest side to get their first victory. However, here is the line up they had at their last game;

01 Brown
15 Collier
03 Green
05 Bradbrook
14 Mitchell-King
04 McAuley
16 Sweeney (Hayes - 64' )
06 Cornhill
17 Crawford (Bradbrook - 63' )
10 Pugh
09 Daley (Harris - 73' )

Substitutes
07 Hayes
08 Noble
11 Harris
21 Ibrahim
23 Bradbrook

Bradbrook and McAuley have been The Darts’ only scorers, but McAuley was very close in becoming Dartford’s first winning goal scorer in the second game of the season; however Woking’s Sole scored in the 90th minute to grab a point.

Dartford’s ground is a rather new one, opened in 2006 named Princes Park. 4,100 capacity with 645 seats. A standard Conference ground, some might say better than many.

From the football ground guide; If segregation is in force then away fans are housed in the Car Park End. This covered terrace has a capacity of 700. In addition a small number of seats (24) are made available in the Main Stand. With no supporting pillars to contend with, then sightlines of the pitch are good. Although the ground is totally enclosed, it feels quite open as there is quite a large gap between the back of the stands and the stadium roof. Although this may allow more light and air into the stadium, so it does for wind and rain.
From the football ground guide; There is a small bar at the ground called the Defluo Bar which is specifically for the use of away fans. I believe that this bar also has Sky television. The entrance to it is in the car park at the away end of the stadium. There are also two good sized bars at the stadium, which also have Sky television, however these are more for home supporters. The nearest pub to the ground is the Ivy Leaf on Darenth Road, which is about a five minute walk away (from the stadium entrance turn right along Darenth Road, cross over the main road at the traffic lights and the pub is further up Darenth Road on the right). Whilst further along the same road is the Malt Shovel, which also does food. Both these pubs are listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide. Otherwise Dartford Town Centre is around a 15 minute walk away, where there are plenty of pubs to be found. Ones of note are the CAMRA Good Beer Guide listed Wat Tyler on the High Street, the Paper Moon Wetherspoons outlet opposite and another Wetherspoons outlet called the Flying Boat on Spital Street.

From the football ground guide; From the South:
Leave the M25 at Junction 2 (signposted A2/Dartford A225). At the roundabout below the roundabout take the Dartford A225 exit. At the next roundabout take the 1st exit by the Esso garage onto the A225 towards Dartford. Go straight across the next roundabout, passing a BP garage on the right. At the next set of traffic lights turn left into Darenth Road and then take the second left into Grassbanks for the stadium.
There is a car park at the stadium which has 300 spaces and is free. If this is full then drivers are directed towards the Orchards Shopping Centre Car Park, which charges £2 for 3-4 hours.

From the football ground guide; By train:
Dartford railway station is located just over a mile away from Princes Park. It is served by trains from Charing Cross and London Bridge. If on leaving the station you follow the pedestrian signs for the Orchard Shopping Centre then before the bridge going across the main road, descend the steps down to the road side. Just to left you will find a row of bus stops including the Fastrack B bus stop. This service runs every ten minutes during the day (every 20 minutes in the evenings) to the Bluewater Shopping Centre and stops at Princes Park. The cost (one way) is Adults £1, Children 50p. Otherwise a taxi from the station to the stadium will cost around £5.

Otherwise the ground is a 15-20 minute walk away. Descend down the steps as above (or at the bottom of the station approach road) keep to the left along the main road and at the roundabout take the exit signposted Central London (A2). At the next traffic lights bear left onto the A226 (signposted Dartford Crossing/Darent Hospital). Proceed up the hill and on reaching the Malt Shovel pub on your right, turn right onto Darenth Road. Continue along Darenth Road passing the Ivy Leaf pub on your left. Go straight across the main road at the traffic lights and then take the second left into Grassbanks for the stadium.

Prices:
Adults £16
Over 65's £8
Under 18's £5
Under 13's £2
Under 5's Free

Programme is £2.50.

The odds; Dartford 9/4, Torquay 6/5, Draw 23/10.

As for United, this is a game where the away side should be able to get at least a point, but I think many fans would be disappointed if we didn’t get the victory. It will be more difficult without main striker Ryan Bowman, who serves his first game ban (three altogether) after he got sent off because of a stupid head-butt at home to Southport last Saturday. Having said that, the Gulls had some great chances (mainly by Young, Ofori-Acheampong, Ajala and Cameron) to score and on a different day those chances would be taken, let’s hope that day is tomorrow. I think manager Chris Hargreaves will keep to the same side (Ofori-Acheampong replacing Bowman), but I would like to see (again) Ajala replace Briscoe. We look much more dangerous with Ajala on the pitch, Cameron on one wing and Ajala on another for the full 90 minutes, that’s what I’d love to see. Will we see the return of Pearce? I’m not sure we will see a change at the back, but it’s great to know we have him ready. Ben Harding is injured for tomorrow's game, so Richards to start? Another question, who will be our 4th and 5th substitute? Will we see the return of Jordan Chappell? Danny Sullivan to be named a sub? Elliot Benyon (I think this is the best bet)...anyone but Hawley.

Rice

Tonge
Downes
MacDonald
Cruise

Cameron
Richards (Correction - Harding injured)
Young (C)
Briscoe (come on Hargreaves, start Ajala)

Yeoman
Ofori-Acheampong

Substitutes
Seabright
Pearce
Chaney?/Ives?/Chappell?
Ajala (hopefully Briscoe)
Benyon (is what I’d guess Hargreaves to chose, I’d personally have Chappell)

Another Saturday, another game. One win, one draw and one loss, let’s hope we get another win. Going by the side we have, we really should win this one, regardless whether we are away. Some might say we should have beaten Southport (and they’d be right) but there was a lot going against us in that game and we did create chances to score, we just couldn’t finish them. Good clearing from the back, getting the ball down using Harding and Young, via the wings with pace, skill, good passing and even better crosses, long balls forward with Ofori-Acheampong getting it down and working well with Yeoman and players around him, I think we should do alright. Get behind the lads; bring the three point’s home.

COYY.

Link to main site; http://www.torquayfans.com/2014/dartfor ... -kick-off/
Great match thread, these are not done in minutes, they take and effort and like andys sometimes don't get the acknowledgement they deserve. :goodpost:
Lucy
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I don't have a good feeling about today. I think a shock could be on the cards, particularly seeing as the club are travelling today, rather than going up yesterday.

Paddy Power have Dartford at 23/10 compared to 11/10 for Torquay - might be worth betting on Dartford as an insurance bet because I feel it is not quite as cut and dried as that! Hopefully, I am wrong.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

disagree, confident of a 0-2 victory, o'achie with both!
still keeping the faith
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

Last edited by bixieupnorth on 23 Aug 2014, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
still keeping the faith
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

anyone heard any line ups??
still keeping the faith
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

sohail and DT today

discussing the fact that we travelled up on the day, leaving at 0630, dodgy decision on a bank holiday weekend but seem to have got away with it
still keeping the faith
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

harding yeoman and bowman all out for various reasons, o'achie and ajala start, not sure who's in for harding yet, that loanee maybe??
still keeping the faith
njgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by njgull »

Rice, Tonge, Cruise, Downes, Briscoe, Young, Ajala, Cameron, Richards, MacDonald, Ofori-Acheampong
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Would love O'Achie to open his scoring account today and show that he will be a good back up for Bowman!