Matchday thread: Torquay United v Southport – 16th August

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Overall, Bowman sending off aside, I wasn't disappointed with the performance, especially 2nd half. Duane O'(not to be confused with TQ1 legend Wayno :bow: )although raw, did particularly well as the lone striker and got off a couple of decent shots on target, which is more than the misfiring misfits Hawley and Benyon could ever manage. Duane O' reminds me of a raw Les Lawrence :bow: .What a deadly combination a polished Duane O' and "Flyin' Ryan"(Bowman)could be, the nearest thing to the deadly duo of Les Lawrence/Steve Cooper :bow: .If only Flyin' Ryan could keep his neck in. :-/.

Luke Young, what a gift he is to TQ, has someway to go before I mention him in the same breath as "The General of Plainmoor"(Tommy Mitchenson) :bow: . When Lukey goes back to Argyle, as he surely will, he will be as great as 70's legend Ernie Machin :bow:. Young Lukey reminds me of a young Paul Buckle when he first arrived from Brentford. Say what you like about ducky Bucky, but he could boss a midfield and get a fair few decent passes off. :bow:

That's all for now folks, I'm off for a cup of tea. I'll be back. :-D
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Neal wrote:THe main problem with this league is the poor reffereeing. What about writing to the league authorities and complain, I know it won't make any difference BUT we are the customers and if they got a number of letters maybe someone will take note.
They're probably the best match officials available, so there's no instant fix. Improvements will take time. It will meant attracting and keeping the most able people with better training, improved monitoring, and better remuneration.
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

Bowman will learn from his mistake. I don't recall Rene Howe getting the kind of abuse I've seen on Twitter/Facebook, and he had plenty of disciplinary problems himself. Without making excuses, we need to remember that Bowman is still a young guy and at a new club. If he receives too much criticism here, we damage the potential of someone who will clearly play a huge part in our season. We all make mistakes.

Performance was a bit flat but we could have nicked a win. Duane worked hard up front and although he fluffed a few chances, he created many of those chances through his own endeavour where others may not have. Hat off to him. Not the most gifted but Hargreaves got that substitution spot on, I think. Defensively I thought we were pretty solid, Cruise to be fair to him has improved in this regard. Tonge I am less sure of.

Going forward we looked a bit flustered once Bowman had gone off. Young not as influential as Tuesday night, but still put in a decent performance. Briscoe had a quiet game, Cameron worked hard.

A word on the officials: Some very odd decisions but not the worst we have seen. He got the big ones right so we can't complain.

Overall we have to look at the bigger picture. A point is a point and we will go again next week. A frustrating game of football but not a disastrous one.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Trojan 67 is one of the greats of this site (along with brucie, hector, glostergull, tomogull and anyone who saw Robin in his prime or remembers the great Tommy Northcott and the equally great John Smith). I wonder of the 'Wayno' he mentions is Wayne Thomas - it surely can't be Wayne Dobbins.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

wivelgull wrote:Trojan 67 is one of the greats of this site (along with brucie, hector, glostergull, tomogull and anyone who saw Robin in his prime or remembers the great Tommy Northcott and the equally great John Smith). I wonder of the 'Wayno' he mentions is Wayne Thomas - it surely can't be Wayne Dobbins.

Crikey, thats a name I never thought would be mentioned again. From our 91/92 season in the heady heights of the then division 3, equivalent now = league 1. What a frustrating player he was.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

chunkygull wrote:
Crikey, thats a name I never thought would be mentioned again. From our 91/92 season in the heady heights of the then division 3, equivalent now = league 1. What a frustrating player he was.
Don't forget Alan Smith..
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Gullscorer wrote: Don't forget Alan Smith..
or Adlington, (Smith), Allen, Benson, Bettany, Wolstenholme, Atkinson, Cox, Stubbs, Northcott, and Somers. Torquay United FA Cup team 9th January 1965.

I had the pleasure of playing with both Tommy Northcott (+ his brother George) and Alan Smith when I was a youngster. Nice blokes and club stalwarts. The term 'legend' is much over used, but there were probably more true club legends in the 1960's than in any other decade.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

wivelgull wrote:Trojan 67 is one of the greats of this site (along with brucie, hector, glostergull, tomogull and anyone who saw Robin in his prime or remembers the great Tommy Northcott and the equally great John Smith). I wonder of the 'Wayno' he mentions is Wayne Thomas - it surely can't be Wayne Dobbins.
I thought he was talking about Wayne Carlisle. Could be wrong though.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Yes, it probably is Carlisle. I'd forgotten him.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

wivelgull wrote:Trojan 67 is one of the greats of this site
I agree with Wivel :nod:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Scott Brehaut wrote:
I thought he was talking about Wayne Carlisle. Could be wrong though.
You aint wrong, Wayno Carlisle it is and THE reason over the course of the whole season why we went up.

Check his goals, when they were scored, the points gained and of course his numerous assists.

:bow:
IlshamSchmilsham
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Welsh

Post by IlshamSchmilsham »

I had the pleasure of playing against Geoff Cox in 1969 as a 16 year old novice goalkeeper in a benefit match between Foxhole United and TUFC ex-professionals. I can still recall "saving" a 30 yard pile driver from Geoff which carried me backwards from the six yard line towards the goal - fortunately no goal line technology in those days (and probably still the case at Foxhole!), so nobody could really be sure that the ball, which was firmly embedded in my midriff, hadn't remained in play.

Of course, none of this belongs in this particular thread, but for pure attacking intent, and no little class, a front line of, Alan Welsh, John Rudge, Micky Cave and Tony Scott, backed up by a midfield duo of the aforementioned Mitchinson and Jimmy Dunne, took some beating!

Dave B
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

No arguments from me - the best winger we've had since I started supporting the Gulls.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Trojan 67 wrote: I agree with Wivel :nod:
i dont.

and i bet brucie doesnt either.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Trojan 67 wrote: You aint wrong, Wayno Carlisle it is and THE reason over the course of the whole season why we went up.

Check his goals, when they were scored, the points gained and of course his numerous assists.

:bow:
old troj going soft and misty eyed................. :rofl:

oh hang on - it's with carlisle, he's looking for benyon...........SILLLLLLLSSSSSSSS!!!!! :goal:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468