Matchday thread: Torquay United v Southport – 16th August

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Matchday thread: Torquay United v Southport – 16th August

Post by Colorado Gull »

I've published an article for the game on the main site. It reads exactly the same to this one.

The next game for United after the 3-0 win against Welling on Tuesday night is another home fixture against Southport, the Gulls’ first home game on a Saturday. The visitors to Plainmoor didn’t have the best of years last season with finishing 18th and having some very poor results. As for this season, it hasn’t been a good start. They lost their first game of the season at home to Forest Green Rovers 1-0 and on Tuesday night lost 3-1 away to Halifax. Sitting at 21st position with 0 points and -3 goal difference, Southport will be determined to give their fans something to smile about. Not sure what their starting XI will be for the game on Saturday, perhaps we’ll see some changes due to the previous results, nevertheless, here’s the side they had for their last game.

01 Lloyd-Weston
03 Fitzpatrick
06 Foster
05 Collins
15 Connor
22 Mitchell (Rutherford - 72' )
04 Kay
08 George
11 Brogan (Joyce - 79' )
18 Marsden (Whitehall - 72' )
09 Hattersley

Substitutes
12 Lynch
14 Joyce
16 Rutherford
20 Smith
21 Whitehall

Southport have added names to their squad for the 2014/2015 season, but have only managed to score one goal through Hattersley. United have played Southport many times in their history the last being the 0-0 draw on Saturday 7th January 1978. The two sides have faced each other 22 times, Torquay winning 11; Southport winning 2, with their being 9 draws also. There weren’t many games that saw no goals during the 1950’s and 70’s between these two teams, there’s only been two 0-0 draws. Plenty of good results for the Gulls, 5-1, 4-0, 3-2, 3-1. Even a 4-4 thriller on Friday 28th September 1962. If we go by History, we should be in for a good game this Saturday.

As for the odds; Torquay win 4/6; Southport win 7/2; Draw; 5/2.

We should have some confidence going into this game after the Welling match. No disrespect to Southport at all, but if we perform like we did on Tuesday, we should see the same sort of result. Do changes need to be made to our starting XI? Perhaps Ajala for Briscoe who didn’t look fit? I’m not sure about Pearce. He was 50/50 on Tuesday, but was named a substitute. I think that’s the place he should be at present; to make sure he is 100%. There isn’t an immediate need yet, so here is the side I think Hargreaves should play:

Rice

Tonge
MacDonald
Downes
Cruise

Cameron
Harding
Young
Ajala

Yeoman
Bowman

Substitutes
Seabright
Pearce
Richards
Briscoe
Ofori-Acheampong

If we are strong at the back, clear well, get the ball down to the centre midfield, use Cameron and Ajala effectively on the wing with their pace with Bowman and Yeoman, we should be very strong. The drum will be there again on Saturday, so the atmosphere should be pretty good. Let’s hope we get around 2,500 for the attendance, get behind the boys and witness another victory.

COYY!

http://www.torquayfans.com/2014/torquay ... -kick-off/
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Just for the record, Southport haven't won away for just over a calender year! We really should win this to be honest...
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agreed, we should believe our team can win this, and not be scared to say, that's not arrogance or the big balls attitude, I'm going for a 2.0 win.

Southport fans forum..http://portchat.net/
Torquay thread..http://portchat.net/viewtopic.php?t=300 ... 9f4b89b957
Formerly known as forevertufc
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Blimey. They're not very confident.
Gilbert69 wrote:Torquay 5 southport 1

Hattersley 90

Att 1555

38 port fans
YellowSky wrote:Torquay 4-1 Southport

Hattersley 4

Briscoe 17
Bowman 51, 54
Yeoman 78

Att: 2,165 (41 away)
tomherold wrote:Hope we don't concede early, because if we do we could get smashed.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

This is definitely a game to look forward to. I'm hoping for (expecting) a good win.
If Pearce is fully fit I imagine he will come back in, possibly for Tonge with Angus moving across to right-back. I also think Ajala may have forced his way in to the 11, probably at the expense of Briscoe who, like Benyon on Tuesday could find himself out of the 16 all together with Chapell taking a place on the bench.

Torquay 3-0 Southport
Bowman, Yeoman, Ajala

Attendance 1984
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

PhilGull wrote:This is definitely a game to look forward to. I'm hoping for (expecting) a good win.
If Pearce is fully fit I imagine he will come back in, possibly for Tonge with Angus moving across to right-back. I also think Ajala may have forced his way in to the 11, probably at the expense of Briscoe who, like Benyon on Tuesday could find himself out of the 16 all together with Chapell taking a place on the bench.

Torquay 3-0 Southport
Bowman, Yeoman, Ajala

Attendance 1984
whoa there. Big brother is watching
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Wasn't the last time we played southport we lost 3-0 away in the fa trophy when bevan got lobbed from the halfway line. 2009 maybe.

Anyway should be a good game. I will go for a 2-0 win with Bowman getting both
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

tufcbrett wrote:Wasn't the last time we played southport we lost 3-0 away in the fa trophy when bevan got lobbed from the halfway line. 2009 maybe.

Anyway should be a good game. I will go for a 2-0 win with Bowman getting both

Possibly. I can't remember so you may be right. The information I got was from league games, so the game you've mentioned wasn't present.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

it was only the fa trophy so wont lose sleep over it. If its on league games then fair enough mate. Still a great report. Just want a big win.

(Ps in the video what was bevs doing haha)
merseygull
Trialist
Trialist

Post by merseygull »

Brett is indeed correct... I was there...

ATB,J.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Seems their supporters coach has been cancelled due to lack of numbers.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Glostergull wrote: whoa there. Big brother is watching
Funnily enough I think this came to me after seeing at the theatre the other night.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

PhilGull wrote: Funnily enough I think this came to me after seeing at the theatre the other night.
Any good Philgull? I'm going to see it Tuesday.
berkshire yellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ashley Yeoman

Post by berkshire yellow »

I'm coming down to Devon for a two week holiday and am going early on my own on the train so I can get to this game, will be my first home game in almost a year, can't wait to get back down to plainmoor and hopefully see a win! COYY
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

berkshire yellow wrote:I'm coming down to Devon for a two week holiday and am going early on my own on the train so I can get to this game, will be my first home game in almost a year, can't wait to get back down to plainmoor and hopefully see a win! COYY
Have a good holiday - weather supposed to be getting better again next week :) Yep - we all hope you see a win tomorrow as well ! :-D