The Gulls v Welling (Home) 12/08/2014

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

The Gulls v Welling (Home) 12/08/2014

Post by Scott Brehaut »

So, after travelling almost the length of the country, the faithful yellow army found themselves in an all too familiar scenario - watching the Gulls slipping to an embarrassing defeat. Different personnel, same outcome.

We move on to our first home game of the season against Welling United, a team who drew their first game of the season against Telford. The fact that they drew 1-1 with a team that had been reduced to 9 men before they scored against them should, hopefully, speak volumes as to the quality of the team that we find ourselves squaring up against. That said, the way in which we capitulated on Saturday should also fill Welling with confidence!!

Of interest will be whether Greavsie sticks with team that lost heavily at Gateshead, or if he will make some changes - albeit he is somewhat limited defensively. Will we see a call up for Ives, or will he stick with the much maligned Cruise? Will he make changes in midfield? Upfront? Obviously we will all have opinions, but ultimately the guy who is paid to pick the team will live or die by his choices.

One thing that is for sure - us Gulls fans will all be hoping for a much improved performance, and three points!!

Kick off 19:45 @ Plainmoor
Welling website: http://www.wellingunited.com
Fans forum: http://wellingunited.activeboard.com
TorquayFans.com main site: http://www.torquayfans.com/2014/torquay ... 14-7-45pm/

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I'm writing up a pre match report for the main site. Should be up tonight or tomorrow.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:I'm writing up a pre match report for the main site. Should be up tonight or tomorrow.
Great - chuck a link in my op when you've done it mate.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Scott Brehaut wrote: Great - chuck a link in my op when you've done it mate.

Have done.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Who is the twerp who wrote the match preview - he seemed to think that Welling were reduced to nine men and managed to hang on for a point. Welling had eleven men on the picth and equalised in the second half. It was Telford who had two men sent off and were winning. What a dodo.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

brucie wrote:Who is the twerp who wrote the match preview - he seemed to think that Welling were reduced to nine men and managed to hang on for a point. Welling had eleven men on the picth and equalised in the second half. It was Telford who had two men sent off and were winning. What a dodo.

The 'twerp' was me Brucie. A mistake on my part by not concentrating, I have now edited it correctly.

I would try and give the personal insults a break.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Apologies - but you did sort of lay yourself open to ridicule.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

brucie wrote:Who is the twerp who wrote the match preview - he seemed to think that Welling were reduced to nine men and managed to hang on for a point. Welling had eleven men on the picth and equalised in the second half. It was Telford who had two men sent off and were winning. What a dodo.
Is there any need for that? By all means correct any errors but there is no need to abuse the lad.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

Now calm down Hector, Brucie's just having an indulgence week at the moment; he's insulted the female gender (mod removed) & now twerps. Soon he'll move on to minority groups, & then he'll be arrested. Just smile sweetly & pat him on the head ! Wivelgull will be along in a minute to agree with him.....
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

taxilady wrote:Now calm down Hector, Brucie's just having an indulgence week at the moment; he's insulted the female gender (mod removed) & now twerps. Soon he'll move on to minority groups, & then he'll be arrested. Just smile sweetly & pat him on the head ! Wivelgull will be along in a minute to agree with him.....
And take his obsession with men dressed in feathered costumes to a whole new level. :O
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Will not be going to this game, but want to hear the right mentality displayed by the team, something that seemed lacking at the weekend, you have pay due respect to every team you play, but we're home and should be looking to impose ourselves on Welling and gain three points, my team would be;

GK - Rice
DR - Tonge ( until Pearce is fit no other option)
DC - MacDonald
DC - Downes
DL - Cruise (for the moment)
MR - Briscoe
MC - Young
MC - Harding
ML - Ajala
FC - Bowman
FC - Yoeman

Would play Yoeman, simply do not get why successive managers keep giving this lad a one deal and then not use him, last two season when we've got in trouble at the bottom of League 2 he's been brought in and scored goals, seriously is about time he had a run in the team.
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I have apologised to Danny and I would also like to apologise to all women who are playing football and not doing the housework :}
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Is Yeoman injured? He missed the last friendly all together and did not feature in the first squad picked? CH was making noises that he will be mostly 'first choice' this season but yet the ever unimpressive Benyon starts the last two games?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Is this a must win already?

OK, probably not "must win" as its very early in the season but another defeat could be really damaging in terms of the morale of both supporters and players, particularly those players who were here last season whose confidence must be pretty fragile. I just hope the fans get behind the team as there is a long season ahead of us - i fear for the first misplaced Tonge or Cruise pass though...

PS - don't think "twerp" or "dodo" are massive personal insults!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

It is a must win, we are at home to Welling for God's sake!! It's also a must win for the confidence of our players who have been a losing team for 2 years, we've got to start turning it around and get some winning feeling around the place quickly.