The Gulls v Welling (Home) 12/08/2014

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

Gullscorer wrote:Anybody have a link to match highlights on-line?
Only the penalty
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I would agree with Tomogull - Chappell is better than Briscoe, no doubt about it. Did someone say that Ajala would walk into a league 1 team.
First time I have seen him. When he came on he fell over five times and scored a decent goal, but he does look very raw to me.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

bobby93 wrote: What a performance. Downes put in a seasoned display,
Yep - keen as mustard and worth his salt. Sorry, Bobby - couldn't resist ! :clap: :clap: Good post by the way.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

tommyg wrote: The difference between Benyon and Yeoman is Benyon has been consistently poor for the last 12 months. In 40 games (25 starts) last season he scored three goals. Yeoman netted the same number from nine matches (2 starts). If Hargreaves persists with 4-4-2 then I think Yeoman deserves a run of games.
Don't completely disagree with you there, however I do think that little allowance has been made for the fact that Benyon had to play up-front with Hawley for a lot of those games, but Yeoman got to start with Coulthirst and a resurgent Cameron on the wing! And to be fair, Yeoman didn't do a lot in some of the games last year.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

brucie wrote:Hector - you have an inbuilt hatred of Benyon. You weren't at the game but believe me if you think that Benyon would have offered less than O'Archie then your nuts. Benyon is the better player.

Not a hatred, nor certainly an 'in built' one, either! (How would that even be possible?). More that I simply don't think he is very good and it is the numbskulls who bang on about how good he is, who annoy me even more, than Benyon's ineffectiveness!
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Really enjoyed the evening from start to finish. It was such a refreshing performance having been subjected to two years of absolutely dire home games. Yes the opposition were awful but it was so important to get off to a good start to keep what remains of the fan base onside. I know its early days and we all know where the weaknesses lie but what I found encouraging was that the players seemed genuinely hungry to succeed, something we haven't seen for a long time. The new additions seem to be fitting in well and replacing Mansell with Young could be the key to having a good campaign. It would be nice to see one or two additions at the back so hopefully something might happen on the loan front.
The original taunton_gull!!!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

taunton_gull wrote: Yes the opposition were awful but it was so important to get off to a good start to keep what remains of the fan base onside.
Very unfair to say Welling were awful, TG. Yes - we deserved to win but if they'd had a half-decent striker, it could have been different. They weren't a hacking or belt-it-up-in-the-air team - they played some neat football at times and had the better of the second half. And let's not forget that very soft penalty when the score was still 1 - 0 ...... But a 3 - 0 win for the first home game of the season was very welcome.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Thought it was a disjointed performance the back four looked suspect under pressure McDonald who has been our best player in previous games had problems finding his passes, Downes did o.k. but nothing to shout about and both fullbacks had nothing to worry about from a Welling side that fought hard to get back into the game. Their 3, I think was Fyfield was driving them forward, he would be worth getting if our financial situation got better with a few leaving.The midfield showed flashes that things could get better. The first goal was pure magic.
:keepie:
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

5 mins of highlights

TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Superb first goal, having seen that pass and cool finish for bloody years
TUST MEMBER
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

I think Hargreaves is making the right noises about Tuesday night. Largely positive but has recognised we had issues and is echoing the thoughts of many fans.

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... story.html