Torquay United vs Hereford United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

I was with Russian girls :)

But i'll be in the enclosure come Saturday. I know its no consolation, but walking past Saint James' seeing the gutted looks on all their faces was almost enough to cheer me up from the gulls defeat..
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Just back from the match ,oh dear where do i start,firstly can some please tell me because iam confused,was i at a football,or watching an episode of the keystone kops.

You can NOT,NOT,NOT defend like that an expect to get anything other than defeat,truely awful from the guys at the back,an Ellis had a total nightmare,i am a big fan of his however tonight Rochdale will thinking they saved there money,not slagging Buckle off here,however my message to him is spend the next month day in day out,night in night out whatever it takes,work on defending get back to the basics,and try to stop these poxy goals from going in,3 goals and not a good one amongst them.

The team's confidence right now is in the toilet,and some good results are needed quick,and with two players making there dedut's tonight was going to have an effect on the team over all.

Massive plus from the game was Jake Robinson,looks good skillfull forward,not scared to have a shot.
Formerly known as forevertufc
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

RussianGull wrote:I was with Russian girls :)

But i'll be in the enclosure come Saturday. I know its no consolation, but walking past Saint James' seeing the gutted looks on all their faces was almost enough to cheer me up from the gulls defeat..
good man. :O :)

you were better off by the sound of it! :lol:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I wonder if there was a hangover from the players as well as the supporters from the weekend? They have just missed out on a once in a lifetime opportunity to play at Old Trafford.

I should clarify, this is neither a criticism, or a praticular defence of anyone. Just in case anyone was going to take offence.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Fonda wrote:I wonder if there was a hangover from the players as well as the supporters from the weekend? They have just missed out on a once in a lifetime opportunity to play at Old Trafford.

I should clarify, this is neither a criticism, or a praticular defence of anyone. Just in case anyone was going to take offence.
Who are you calling a prat? :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Southampton Gull wrote: Who are you calling a prat? :)
:) My top typing skills coming to the fore once again.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

After this evening maybe it's a good thing to stand back and look at this from a different perspective.
A comment from Leroy On Late Kickoff last week or was it the week before made me think. He felt he should have gone maybe a little earlier when he was offered a chance to manage at a higher level. I wonder If Paul B is feeling maybe he has missed that chance like Leroy Had. it would be enough to make anyone a little depressed after all that has happened. He has done what he can with little in the way of resources. We have crowds this season which are way down on last season and tonights attendance has made it worse (Average attendance this season 2686 assuming gate of 1600) and the lack of atmosphere would contribute to lack of performance too.

The premier league finance and lack of integrity has combined to cause players to have a very much over inflated idea of what their true value is and that in turn makes it harder to get players down here,

The Chairman of Bristol Rovers today commented that trying to talk to players in the last few weeks has left him with a view that many players are still in lala land when It comes to wage demands and signing on fees. in fact I noted the number of players who have found themselves lucky to find a club having been ditched by their previous club and left unattached. it won't take too much longer hopefully before the majority of them get in the real world. I sincerley hope we survive long enough with sensible finances to see this day as we should come out with a better outlook than clubs who over spend (like creepy Crawly or as I prefer kerb Crawly. as they have prostituted themselve to rich businessmen who will take their money and run when it suites them.)

Premier league player values have continued to soar It's an abomination to the working man when you think of the present financial situation we find ourselves in, the obvious conclusion to be drawn from this is that depsite the huge fees paid, the clubs think it doens't matter as the poor old supporter will just have to pay more and probably will.
What will happen if one day the fan say NO! Will they even wake up then (I am not sure they will)
It would have been a lesson to all if the Government had let the banks sink when in trouble. They could have compensated the general public and most small businesses a lot cheaper than the cost of bailing out the banks and then maybe the banks would have had less cash to splash (some of it gone on paying for expensive boxes at Manu,ARSEnal,Liverpool.Chelski.et al)

The banks would have then maybe been a little harder or maybe much harder on clubs who had overdrafts with them. The new Fifa rule that clubs have to balance the books can't come soon enough. but what of the club that cries out, "We were solvent, we didn't know he was going to ask for all his money back". I won't cry tears over them. But I bet the banks will. This may not seem relevant to us but it has meant that many players who could or did play in the premiership now expect to still have the same sort of salary in the championship. the players then filter down untill even in the conference they demand stupid wages. You all week know that even at Tivvy there has been discontent voiced by a previous manager that the players dont deserve their wages, they are more interested in the girls and what hairstyle is most in vogue than in pride wearing the club colours.

Torquay used to have long serving players who had the Blue and Gold in their veins. Now it's who will pay the best fee. there are exceptions. Chris "Tarzan" Hargreaves who loved the Two clubs he felt for, and if truth be told he felt maybe a bit more for the Gulls than he did Oxford and he still lives here.

The days of Collins, Stubbs etc are long gone and with them the sentiment and loyalty I struggle to understand how a club like ours can build on anything for the future as we won't be able to hold onto any decent player we either discover, bring through our academy, or find in the lower reaches trying to resurect his career after falling from grace for one reason or other.

I cite for example. Scott Sinclair. A player who shower tremendous talent when Brisssle Rovers brought him through their academy, he didnt even make the first team, he was approached and encouraged to sign for Chelski leaving Rovers without the chance to find out the difference he would have made to the team. The real shame is that they didn't even use him that much but sold him on to Swansea without Rovers recieving much more money for him. That will happen to us and it sounds depressing but I can understand why the reserves where disbanded years ago ( I didnt agree with it though)

The next thing I wonder, is this the backlash that was talked about from the kerb Crawly match. the depression that sometimes follows after a really important defeat. if that the case there needs to be some support and help from proffessionals to get them out of it pronto. it's not unknown to have this effect but it can be overcome. You don't have to go down because of your circumstances. you can rise above them. Benjimen Disrali was brought up in abject poverty to become one of the most famous Prime Ministers we ever had. Franklin D Roosevelt overcame disability to become U.S. President at one of the most important times in their history. Helen Keller overcame 100% total Deafness and Blindness to graduate with honours and impact the world. Look her up anyone who hasn't heard of her. Success does not depend on our circumstances, but on overcoming our circumstances!.

I will go on supporting them as much as I am able given lack of finance and distance ( teaming up with other supporters is very welcome and I look forward to trying to team up with Royal gull as we thunder down the M5 writing new jokes ready for the forum next game, when we are stuck at home on the web.)
I will not give up. I will keep a smiling face as I remember that there are more important things in life (having nearly missed Wembley due to health) and one thing I will also say. I will support them. I will not thrown insults or denigrate the efforts of our manager. I will not stand in the pop side or Family stand slinging insults at the players. (I will encourage them loudly though) I will not sit at this computer making charges that would make a sailor blush because the manager and or board will not or cannot sign this or that player. We really do not know what realy goes on behind the scenes and to make unsupported charges only serves to discourage those who put in immense amounts of time and energy into keeping our club alive. I will temper my enthusiasm for the Board to spend more money than they have, I will remember that it is thier money not mine and I have no right to tell them how to spend their own money any more then they have a right to tell me how to spend my wages. Some fans (Not nec at this club) seem to have a chip on their shoulder the way they go on about The money that directors have invested.
So it's onward and upward. keep up the stiff upper lip. Make up a few more jokes and shout encouragment at our team when they are out on the hallowed turf. Up the Gulls!! Come on You yellows. We are UNITED. WE ARE TORQUAY!! :win: :win: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :win:
rant over I think!!

Typos excepted
Last edited by Glostergull on 01 Feb 2011, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

You will not normally find me critical of individual players, but I am agreeing with Forevertufc, that performance from Mark Ellis today was totally unacceptable. The guy clearly was not in the right frame of mind.

Did he have his mind still on Saturday?, or perhaps he thought he would long be gone by now with the transfer window?, but another performance like that in defence on Saturday and we can kiss goodbye to 3 points again.

Buckle had the sense to take him off, and hopefully will have the confidence to drop him entirlely for Saturday until his attitude and what ever is on his mind changes.

A proffessional footballer should at least look like he wants to keep up with an opponent. A proffessional footballer should at least look like he want's to mark at set pieces. I do not think I have seen a worse individual performance for years at Plainmoor.

We deserved better than that shambolic defensive performance
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Not long home, what can I say - an evening that filled me with a large amount of disappointment and worry regarding several issues. To be honest I thought on the way down that after the weekend's fiasco there would be a very good chance we wouldn't turn up. What made it even more galling was the fact that in the opening 10 minutes we looked very bright and made a great start with a superb Robinson opener which he very nearly followed up with a second. After that we fell to pieces thanks once again to some abhorrent defending from both Ellis and Branston which evetually led to Fleetwood scoring their first. After that it was all downhill and I never expected us to get back in the game.

Regarding the new boys - Robinson looks a sound addition, took his goal very well and should thrive if given decent service. I'm not so sure about Stanley, he was solid if not spectacular in the first half but he is very much in the mould of winning the ball and playing it sideways or backwards rather than starting a move. We have seen a good number of CMs in his ilk at Plainmoor in the past - none of them living long in the memory but I hope to be proven wrong in his case.

As already mentioned the absence of Zebs along with the departure of Benners has already highlighted the fact that there is no depth in the squad, we literally had no options to change the game and we looked completely devoid of any ideas. O'Kane is our most skillful player but he is completely wasted on the right AS HE IS NOT A WINGER!!!! We have seen him at his mercurial best in the middle of the park and this is where he has to play either as a CM or just behind the striker.

Other worrying factors were the body language of those on the bench. During pretty much the whole second half PB remained seated and didn't come over to the fans at the end. I do wonder if there could be issues behind the scenes. Elliot Benyon said himself until 16:00 yesterday there wasn't anything happening on the transfer front and I wonder if a decision has been made over PB's head. PB made noises to the effect that he wanted out when the Rovers job became available and perhaps he now feels he's gone as far as he can. It seems a strange time as prior to Saturday the season had been going OK, but it feels like the tide could be turning. I don't wish to be a doom-merchant but we are now only 8 points off the relegation zone - the same to the playoffs. We have played fewer games than most but based on tonight's performance I don't hold out much confidence for the matches coming up.

Ultimately others have already stated the obvious - what is the club supposed to do with a 1,600 gate?! I don't expect it to get that low again for a while but following on from the 1,900 there for the Crewe game these are worrying times off the field which just highlights how much we needed a payday at Old Trafford. It seems such a shame as a few days ago the season could have been so different but we will really need to get it together and quickly if we want to avoid getting sucked into the mire.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

couldnt make it for personal reasons tonight but what was the atmosphere like with 1600 there?

im not that supprised though, with everyone having to pay to be there on saturday, and a game next saturday people just cant afford it
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

I don't blame anyone for not going tonight,if I didn't have a season ticket I may not have bothered myself. Even with 1,600 the atmosphere was OK to start with as people backed the team and we made a good start. After we conceded the first it rapidly went downhill to near apathy at the end.
The original taunton_gull!!!
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Not having seen much in the way of the usual match reports, heres a few thoughts...
Defence - Shambles tonight. Ive no idea why Marky Ellis is turning into a liability over the last month or so but he needs dropping to get his head together again.
Robbo is certainly not an attacking rightback although good enough defensively.

Attack - We went to 4-4-2 as most people seemed to be shouting for. Does not work when you have 2, 6 foot plus, centrebacks against vertically challenged strikers. Im suprised Billy managed to get what balls he could against that giant. New Robbo looks a quality player given a bit more service from the midfield. Cant believe Billy missed the open goal when it was easier to find the net..Lack of 90 minutes games is my opinion.

Midfield - This is the problem area for me. Eunan and Danny really cant cut it as wingers in L2. Danny did start well TBH and fashioned some nice play and accurate passes. I think he only got to the byline once though and got a cross in. He became rather anonymous in the 2nd half. Eunan seemed to be marked out of the game. He's going to have to get used to close attention from opponents now though. Manse and Stanley will form a good understanding after a bit of time training together. That assumes that Manse doesnt move to RB if Ellis is dropped. Lathrope was on for about 25 minutes and looked promising TBH. Saul would benefit from more game time as he looks promising as well.
Zebs was greatly missed tonight but at least will be back Saturday, hopefully on the right wing as we played with very little width for most of the game. We looked a bit better going forward on the right with Manse at full back but will then miss his energy in CM.

A tough call for what the team will be on Saturday
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

I diidn't because I live 100 miles away but also because the amount of effort , work and passion I had to give to make it there was not matched on the field of play by those representing the club.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

in sheffield!! hope to be there on saturday, and prob go to accrington too
still keeping the faith
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Billy Kee plays for Celtic !!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9384574.stm

at 3 min 50

Watch the open goal miss ...they all do it !!