2014/2015 Fixtures

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Thanks to CP Gull for this 'match' report.

Southport 2-1 Torquay United.
CP Gull wrote:Some interesting things to come out of Chris Hargreaves post match interview. He actually admitted that their second goal came about from mistakes made in a couple of areas where we aren't strong ... he didn't name any names but surely it suggests at least that he feels we need to strengthen not only our centre backs but also our goalkeeper ... who let's face it is simply not good enough at this level ... despite what Dave Thomas thinks! What he ( Greavsie) may just have forgotten is that it was his decision to (re) sign Rice and likewise Jordan Seabright (and we all know what he is doing now, don't we!).

A "moment of madness from my captain" was another of his comments that he made. I thought the fact that he referred to him as his CAPTAIN which of course he is, was quite pointed. He (Young) was his choice as Captain and the wrong one, in my opinion, it should have been Downes who is the natural leader. But, more to the point, to come out with the same old rubbish about "it wouldn't have been a sending off ten years, or even five years ago" is totally irrelevant! Luke Young was only just out of short trousers ten years ago, he knows the rules as they are TODAY and yet yet again one of our players' indiscipline has cost us big time! How many more times????

I think the reaction of Hargreaves, in both trying to defend the actions of Young and in also trying to suggest that a Southport player did something similar in the second half and so they should have ended up with 10 is NOT the right way to go about it. He SHOULD have laid into Young for his petulant reaction, his indiscipline and the lack of leadership shown by HIS captain. Our disciplinary record has been shocking all season and has cost us countless points - and does not reflect well on the management - the very fact that this afternoon he has tried to defend the indefensible probably gives us an insight into what the problem might be - a lack of discipline, starting with the Manager!

Finally, as if leaving us a man short against Woking on Tuesday ~ when the sub wasn't ready to replace Bowman and we ended up conceding ... the very last thing you would expect to happen in the very next game would surely be a repeat! But no, Bowman was injured (again ~ begs the question of whether he should have even started?) and comes off to be replaced by Daniel - only for the sub to be refused permission as it appears he is wearing a wristband that he shouldn't be. Regardless of the silly rules, the FACT is that we should have known better and only further underlines the UNPROFESSIONAL approach that appears to run throughout the club at this time. Leaving us down to just nine men for a good couple of minutes was inexcusable and the fact that apparently Guegan didn't even put the ball out into touch at the first opportunity he had ( he didn't) only served to underline that point!

In any other situation, with any other club, Hargreaves (and the rest !) would have been relieved of his duties weeks ago ~ given our recent performances and results he is extremely lucky to still be in a job ~ but with no effective leadership at the club during this state of limbo he remains in position, and will surely hold on now until new owners come in (assuming they do!)

With the "other" results today I think we will stay up but only because those four teams currently occupying the bottom four will probably not garner enough points to make us seriously sweat. That said though, I still think a 20th place finish is a distinct possibility and in any other season we would probably be staying up by the skin of our teeth rather than the relative comfort we are currently enjoying.

But, whatever happens between now and the end of the season, I am seriously worried for the future of the club. I cannot see anything other than a summer where season ticket sales drop through the floor - especially if they are maintained at current prices (likely!) and it is going to have to take a huge turnaround at the top to give any of the long suffering fans any sense of optimism for the future and anything more than the prospect of another struggle next season.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Thanks to Swanny for this match report.

Torquay United 1-1 Dartford.
Swanny wrote:So we cannot even beat second from bottom Dartford in another disappointing performance. It was a game of few clear chances and both keepers were mainly redundant for the game. You assumed Torquay would win this one after taking the lead but no they could not even do that. Dartford's equaliser was out of nothing and was preventable in my opinion. Crowd 1,754, 160 from Dartford, sponsors MOTM Ives, twitter MOTM Cameron.

My first priority today was to see who was sat in the director's box. Thea is still there with her son and Kelvin was back. I was heartened to see Sturrock there which gives me a little hope that he may have some say in our future? We desperatley need someone of his calibre.

Onto the game and my first concern was that with Ajala playing up front with Briscoe, we had no striker to hold the ball up like Bowman can. Ajala and Briscoe did put in a decent shift and tried to win possession off Dartford's defenders by closing them down when they were in possession. Ajala ceated a good chance when he robbed a defender but opted to pass the ball to Briscoe instead of shooting, and guess what, his pass went astray. That summed up our first half performance, there was no end product and when we did get a move going it broke down. Dartford had a couple of half chances that they did not get on the end of a move. McQuilkin had a great chance before half-time but blasted the ball over the bar when clear in the box. It was a poor finish that lacked technique from someone who has played at a higher level.

Torquay, kicking towards the away end, had more pressure in the second half and the approach play was good at times. But clear chances were at a premium. Briscoe had a clear chance but like McQuilkin blasted the ball over. McQuilkin finally broke the deadlock and finished well keeping the ball down this time. I suppose Torquay's pressure deserved this but we still rarely worked their keeper which spoke volumes. Our new loanee, Daniel, was involved in much of our play and showed some good skill at times. But he is very raw and he also wasted possession. None of our players really stood out. Cameron made a really run cutting from the right and beat a few players and was pulled down just outside the area. The referee waved play-on which summed up his performance today. Torquay had a few corners and dangerous free-kicks but did little with them. Dartford had a rare attack and predictably scored. Rice parried a long distance shot, he looked favourite to get the rebound but the ball fell loose and Darford slotted the ball home. Our defending was suspect to say the least as our defenders just watched and did not act. Torquay never looked capable of restoring the lead and the game just petered out. Our 2 subs came on too late to make an impact and it was another shambles of an afternoon at Plainmoor. It's all so poor and loyal supporters around me just shook their heads at full-time. It's not getting ant better and only mass changes in the summer will give me any confidence it will improve next season. There's no proper leadership out there on or off the pitch and it again showed today.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Thanks to FavGull for this match report.

Aldershot Town 2-0 Torquay United.
FavGull wrote:At the game today, first time since Welling over Christmas, wanted to get one more in this season, thoroughly depressing though it was.

Well, I say that as I went with incredibly low expectations, which by the end of the game were mostly met. However at half time I was still moderately upbeat. Their goal was either amazing or a complete fluke, but either way. After that, Aldershot may have shaded the half but we did ok at times, and I thought the formation was working to some degree, albeit we didn't have the players in all positions to carry it off well because either a) they were unavailable, b) we don't have them anyway or c) if we do, their confidence is shot to sh*t or they don't seem to have a clue what they are supposed to be doing. I think 4-4-2 is basically dead as a formation, and although all 3 in midfield today had issues, there was something resembling solidity. I accept though that the players are probably confused with all the changes to personnel/positions/formations.

Lavercombe was the positive, did what was asked of him well, a very good save in the second half, came for some crosses and got a fist on them, kicked well - would be happy to see him in for the rest of the season. Could be a good back up next season?

I haven't been to many games this season, but I guess it's fair to say that the second half was a return to how we have been playing regularly of late. Two things stuck out for me. Firstly, how easily Aldershot got in behind us on a number of occasions, especially early in the half. Pearce (who I thought was ok up to his glaring miss) was awful positionally a few times during this period, and Downes, for all the times he gets his head on the ball, makes far too many errors on the ground and cannot recover, and I think he in particular leaves his inexperienced full back exposed. I'm not sure if I should criticise Ives for this as well, I think he has probably had enough game time so yes. I'm waffling, but basically rip up the defence and start again. Good as Pearce was and despite all the fans Downes has, I can't see a future for us with them at the club. Angus and an experienced, solid centre back please. Probably new full backs too. Secondly, why oh why do you ever bring on a sub when you are defending a corner ffs! Seem to remember this the last time we were at Aldershot. Not only a sub, but a change of formation and positions at the same time. By the time I worked out what we were doing we were 2-0 down, and i'm sure my brain works faster than some of our players'. And Ajala off at that stage, not sure about that.

First two subs were very predictable, Aldershot probably worked them out before the game, I pretty much had, and largely ineffective. But after the 2nd goal, I, like many other no doubt, had to struggle to maintain interest and focus. So depressing.

Not sure where we go from here. Hopefully positive and exciting times ahead. Certainly the doors should be revolving a lot. But how many times in the last 2+ years have we all thought we have hit rock bottom, and how many times have we been proven wrong. At least on the pitch until August nothing now matters greatly, and the club can concentrate on sorting out the mess, cracks and holes off the pitch.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Thanks to Swanny for this match report.

Torquay United 2-0 Altrincham.
Swanny wrote:A reasonable performance today and most importantly a win to lift our spirits. Torquay's goals on 22 and 27 minutes came at convenient times and both had a little of bit fortune about them. But they gave Torquay a welcome cushion for the rest of the match and the first half was comfortable for Torquay. The second half was more even and both teams had decent chances. Enter Torquay's youth keeper Lavercombe who rightly won sponsors and Twitter MOTM for a rare clean sheet. Crowd a disturbing 1,462, 84 of whom were from Altrincham.

Torquay were on top in the opening exchanges but Altrincham had the ball in the net after around 5 minutes. Lavercombe made a decent parried save and they scored the rebound but it was ruled out for offside. Torquay had another touch of fortune when their experienced keeper went off injured and was replaced by a young keeper. Torquay's main threat was down the wings through Ajala on the right and loanee Daniel on the left. They pose quite a handful for the opposition and if only Ajala could get his final ball right when he is in a promising position he would be a cracking footballer. Torquay's opening goal was created by Bowman who was clear on our right. His low cross was not great and should have been cleared by their defenders but Daniel showed great close control and finished with a low powerful shot into the net. Shortly afterwards Bowman ran with the ball in the box, there appeared to be a trip from a defender, Bowman went down easily and the referee pointed to the spot. Bowman injured his shoulder in the process but dispatched the penalty with confidence. As the ball rebounded out of the net, Bowman caught it and lightly dropped the ball onto their keeper's head who was still on the ground more in fun than anything else. A right old melee broke out with angry Altrincham players laying into Bowman. Bowman and an Altrincham player were booked. Bowman shortly afterwards was replaced by Campbell due to his injured shoulder. Torquay saw out the rest of the half comfortably 2-0 up.

The second half Torquay played in fits and starts. Campbell brought a decent save from their keeper and he had 2 other chances he put wide from defensive mix-ups. One of them Campbell robbed their keeper outside their penalty area on our left but missed the target with the goal gaping. Altrincham grew stronger and Lavercombe saved a 1-on-1 by parrying with a strong arm. Lavercombe later produced a great flying diving save which reminded me of Poke at his best. It was also Lavercombe's all round game that impressed me. He is a decent height and physique and had a real calm presence about him. His kicking showed excellent technique as he kicks quite effortlessly and is accurate and he does not seem to shirk coming off his line for crosses. It's early days but I hope he features more next season.

The second half opened up to quite an entertaining game with both teams threatening. At times you worried that Torquay's defence did not close down well enough at times and with better finishing Torquay could have been found out and at least we had a keeper who saved the defence's blushes. Richards came on late on for Briscoe who I thought was hit-and-miss today - on one hand he made some telling runs and passes but on he otherhand he gave the ball away too often.

I thought today's line-up had a good balance about it. Both our wingers offered width and a decent outlet and they both possess some lovely footballing tricks. McQuilkin and Harding worked well together in central midfield as they seem to complement eachother. Both of them showed decent distribution today. The defence was mainly solid but were exposed at times down the middle.

I cannot make the last 2 home games so that was my last game this season. It's been another horrible season and today at least showed what we should be doing to part-time teams in this division. We really should have far too much ability and skill and fitness against these sort of teams who try hard but really have limited quality. One or two of Altrincham players really looked out of shape and our biggest failing this season is beating these sort teams. It's been quite embarrassing but thankfully not today.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Thanks to forevertufc for this match report.

Torquay United 1-0 Lincoln City.
forevertufc wrote:Back from the game, just being honest, a very poor game between two very poor teams. But a win, is a win, and it was nice to win a game from a goal that shouldn't have stood as the ball was clearly moving when the free kick was taken, but again we'll take that, first time I'd seen Lavercombe, yes this lad seems to have a fair bot of potential, was he really man of the match, I suppose in a game that lacked quality passion and desire, who else. Crowd figure a joke, they must add in season tickets holders who weren't there, no way was there 1200 in the ground tonight.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

FC Halifax 0-2 Torquay United.
forevertufc wrote:These three back to back wins are welcome indeed, CH said he wouldn't experiment he'd go for the points, he has done that, and so far achieved it, so he does deserve some credit for that. But, and there is a but here, pressure off, playing against sides that may or may not have placed so much importance on results as we have, puts these results into some perspective, so like I said in September when the team won 6 on the spin, some caution has to placed on these results, I do not at this point see them as corner turning results, I was at the Lincoln game, our performance was generally very poor, they just happened to worse, however, these results, should add some momentum.

This season for the large part has been a shambles, and when fans post that opinion there not telling lies, we've lost 16 games so far, our results against bottom 8 teams have been absolutely shocking to be honest, so there's a lot of work to do in the summer to avoid a repeat of this season.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Torquay United 1-1 Macclesfield Town.
forevertufc wrote:The opening quarter of the game was bright and positive form a Torquay point of view, our team looked confident and were playing the better football, Macclesfield's team under pressure knowing they had to win found it harder to settle, however it was Macclesfield who were getting shots off although not on target in the opening exchanges, whilst our team seemed to be playing square balls around the Macclesfield area.

Our goal came from a comedy of errors, we had I think at least three attempts to shoot on goal all scuffed, Macclesfield failed to clear their lines from these scuffed attempts, the ball broke to Briscoe who finished neatly, Torquay grow in confidence and finished the half stronger, Daniel denied by a great save from a free kick, in a first half that should seen this game put bed by The Gulls.

Second half with results elsewhere going in Macclesfield's favour I, personally expected an onslaught, and after a tense opening exchange Macclesfield began to build up pressure, some stout defending, and bit of poor quality from Macclesfield prevented them getting back into the game, however pressure would tell in the end as they gained a deserved equaliser.

Over the years we've had some last day dramas, and in terms of play-offs and promotion some real nail bitters , you could see and hear the desperation grow amongst the traveling support and the Macclesfield players as they appealed for everything in the box, sort of felt for them at the end as the momentary stunned silence from the Macclesfield fans, as their team dropped to it's knees at the final whistle, however it was nice, for once to be the last day party poopers.

Not going to dwell on individual performances to much, or Chris Hargreaves' substitutions, none of us really know who's going to be with the club next terms and who's not, we don't even know who will have ownership, so all that's best left alone. One thing I will say, looking at the performances of Ben Harding today and Lincoln home, what a real shame , for the first time in 2 years the lad actually looks fit, and we've started to see performance levels and him (BH) have an effect on the game that he was brought to the club for, to little to late maybe.