FA Cup 4th Round - Torquay United vs Crawley Town

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Simples !
Crawley = cheating s***m end of !

Evans & Raynor should be investigated by the F.A ......... Ha bloody Ha we all know what a waste of space they are !!!!!!
Let Cheats & Criminals Prosper its the way forward ................
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Still pissed off slept on it and can't believe we gifted this opportunity to Crawley.

Can't even blame hindsight for being pissed off. What on earth made Buckle believe he would be able to come through this using the tactics that haven't worked in five out of the six last league matches? Or come to that the last time we played Crawley. Can't even blame them or the ref we've had cack officals before and we'll have em again, CRAWLEY WE KNOW CRAWLEY and esp the wasters in charge. HE KNEW WHAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN and choose to do nothing about it.

I need a break.
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

No it doesn't get any better for having slept on it.

The Evans/Raynor show was truly the stuff of nightmares.

I think, however, there is possibly a more serious point behind this performance. It was that we don't have a strong enough squad in general but no way of changing the game up front now we have got rid of our only target man - Gritton. There can be no effective plan B because there is no one who can take defences on physically.

Whether we play 442 with Key alongside Benyon or 451 with Benyon up front they are too small to cause trouble for defences unless we play on the ground with them coming off the defenders.

As soon as we come under pressure we kick the ball long and they have no chance to win never mind hold the ball.

I am also very concerned about the lack of cover in defence - we must be close to losing players to suspension or injury and we have almost no-one to cover.

We do have cover in midfield but several players are on a poor run of form (Zebs, Stevens, Wroe) and a lack of experience in Oastler, Lathrope, O'Kane and our anonymous winger who can't even make the bench.

Alarm bells aren't ringing yet but there has to be an enormous improvement if we are to sustain a comfortable league position.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

If thats what football has become you can stick it.

Crawley are a bunch of cheats, AND DONOT DESERVE to be in the next round.

Time wasting by the golakeeper in the 1st half, and even worse in the second
Time wasting by every player in the 2nd half kicking the ball away at every opportunity
Faking injury all the time
Diving
The 2 fat cheats constantly attacking the officials, I was standing very close, every decision screaming at the linesman and 4th official to gain some advantage for the next decision
Even before the game statred the golakeeper was practicing in the goalmouth not the 2nd goal that was prepaired for that.

A cheating club who I hope draw Leyton Orient in the next round and get stuffed!

A mamager who was convicted of Fraud and should not be allowed in the game.

The officials were again not up to it!

A disgracefull club and a disgrace to football. There should be no place in football for cheats, and Crawley are the top of the league of cheats.

We all know the officials in the BSP are poor and you can see why Crawley are top
TUST MEMBER
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I have not had the misfortune to see these two in action but the mind boggles as to how they are allowed to get away with it time after time, if they truly are that bad. Do clubs and officials not complain?
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

First chance I've had to post since the game, as I was already drowning my sorrows, pre-emptying the inevitable yesterday.

Am I surprised? Not one bit. Evans seems to have a hold over TUFC/Buckle. I've not seen the highlights but I've read stuff on here. I could have told anyone how Crawley were going to play, but just to reiterate what others have said time and again we fall right where Evans and Raynor want us. I fully expect the same to happen next season wen Crawley no doubt join the football league. Is that down to a naïvety on our part? Most probably.

What is most disappointing is how it seems like we didnt want it enough. That says a lot about the players of they cannot get pumped up for a game of this size. Judging from the ratings people have given on here, I really hope a couple of players (I'm looking towards Wroe and Zebroski mainly) are really thinking about what they should have done, and should have been doing over the last few games as well.

The whole 4-5-1 argument is a real strange one. I've banged on about it before, but for those who saw how good we were at Wycombe would have seen enough to know why we persist with it. But Buckle needs to understand it's horses for courses. We don't play Wycombe every week, so don't play the same tactics week in week out. The problem we have now is Buckle has tailored the squad to play this way, and we have little or no alternative coming from the bench. For me, there are around 36hrs to make this right. I really hope we make some moves in the transfer market.

Any positives? Well Halpin has got his professional debut out of the way. How did he do? At least now it seems we have another legitimate option on the bench. And with zebroski suspended (kicks in immediately, right?) and a few games coming up against low-in-the-table opposition, a chance to play a new system. 4-4-2 perhaps? I'd like to see us really go for these teams in the next few games.

Is annoying as this all is, I have to say congratulations to Crawley fans. They don't pick the team and tactics, so it's not their fault. The gloating will be hard to take from our end, but enjoy whatever experience you get in the 5th round (I'm sorry but I can't bring myself to wish you a big draw!)

A hugely disappointing weekend. But we are still nicely placed in the league. What will be really important now is how the club gets over this - in terms of playing staff, transfer moves, player attitudes and tactically. This is still a critical part of the season, yet one where the club has it's destiny in it's own hands. I hope that they respond in a positive way.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

ITV player doesn't have the full highlights programme so can't hear the pundits opinion. Hope they do put it up I'd like to see what they said about Evans and his sidekick.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Was too angry and frustrated to post anything last night.

We knew what to expect from Crawley and played right into their hands. They were deserved winners though, despite their embarrassing behaviour both on and off the pitch. They are a solid team, especially in a defence marshalled by the impressive Pablo Mills. But if we had bothered to turn up then it would most likely have been a different result.

The only players who can really come out with any credit are obviously Bevan for his penalty saves, and also Nicholson who I thought was our best outfield player - his set-pieces were excellent. Buckle got it wrong, but he was badly let down by the players. The Tubbs goal was poor from our centre-backs. Ellis and O'Kane probably delivered their weakest performances this season. Zebs was abysmal and capped it off by collecting two foolish yellow cards. Wroe was invisible. Benyon isolated. Stevens was probably our biggest attacking threat which says a lot. Pleased to see Halpin make his debut. Only had a few touches, but fizzed in a shot which whistled just wide.

I seem to be alone on this, but I don't think the referee was that bad when you consider what a difficult game it was to oversee. Both penalties were the right call, so were the sending offs (although it was probably the wrong Crawley player). He did award Crawley a lot of free-kicks, but we were conceding a lot of petty fouls. He booked Kuipers for time-wasting and showed Tubbs a yellow card when he feigned injury as he was being subbed. I wouldn't say he caved because he was under pressure from the visiting players and two clowns in the dugout. We only have ourselvles to blame for the performance and result.

I was pleased with ITV's analysis of the match. They could have easily built it up as a 'giantkilling', but rather focus on their celebrations, they spent more time concentrating on Crawley's underhand tactics. Chris Coleman has gone up in my estimations.

The next couple of days will be interesting. I wouldn't be surprised to see the squad stay exactly how it is. The FA Cup run wasn't budgeted for, and my estimated calculations show that we've made between £150-175k. That pot will be used to cover our losses from the dwindling attendances at Plainmoor, but I don't think we'll be forced to sell unless we receive an offer which is right for the club.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

The squad will NOT be staying the same.

I'm expecting as many as four to be shown the door and obviously replaced.

Fair play to Crawley, they employed some very unsavoury tactics which probably adds to the bitterness of defeat but they deserved it, we didn't.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Could see it coming to be honest. We weren't mentally tough enough but fair play to Crawley as it worked a treat for them and we fell for it. Although this was the FA Cup it just goes to prove we are not good enough to even contemplate the play offs let alone promotion. Some changes in playing staff may well be happening soon!
Oblivion!!!!
gulls_aloud
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by gulls_aloud »

After all the excitement of the build up, the manner of our defeat leaves me feeling as if we have come away with less than nothing.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Pointless whinging about Crawley cheats - we could not beat them in the conference and we went exactly the same way yesterday.
We just about got everything wrong yesterday. We could not get the best part of two thousand people through the gates in one and a half hours which was a complete embarassment.
We gave Crawley 45 minutes start with Buckle employing the same ludicrous formation that meant we would never score.
And in the second half our players comitted hari kari .
Yes the ref was utter shite. Yes Evans/Raynor - we know what they are like blah blah blah. I tell you what Raynor was loving it - he was grinning at the fans as he went off at half time. He knew they had us beat then. He must love coming to Plainmoor - winning is a piece of piss for them.
Hardly a pleasurable day out and my encounter with a load of moronic stewards at the end of the match absolutely put the tin hat on it.
I won't be repeating the experience in a long while.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

HRG wrote:I have not had the misfortune to see these two in action but the mind boggles as to how they are allowed to get away with it time after time, if they truly are that bad. Do clubs and officials not complain?
It's mind-boggling. They are so blatant about it, too. I've never seen a bigger bunch of cheating bastards EVER. Also, how the hell is Evans even allowed to manage a team? Is there no 'fit and proper' test in the BSP?
TUST member 203
CrawleyStato
Trialist
Trialist

Post by CrawleyStato »

I was at the game yesterday and can understand the resentment of some fans on this forum. I do not like Evans and have never tried to defend him (like alot of fellow Crawley Fans). However Crawley is my local team and i would rather support them (which is what i love doing) than any other team even with the fat t*** at the helm.

Onto yesterday s game, it was a great day out, one which i thoroughly enjoyed. However it was spoilt by some on the pitch actions. I have always hated continuous time wasting but yesterday we seem hell bent on doing it throughout the second which culminated in Tubbs substation which was cringe worthy.

Torquay did play their part in making the game a bad tempered game, your guys committed a great deal of fouls and as stated already on this forum, the ball was kicked off the spot before the penalty by Mansell (Benyon was stated in that earlier post). I am not trying to deflect the attention off Crawley but just wanted to point that out.

Also would like to comment on the ITV highlights which i though was embarrassing to say the least. They just seemed to want to jump on the Crawley “hate” bandwagon which we have had to get used to thanks to our illustrious manager.

It was a shame to see the game wasn t a sell out but it was good to see the game played in a great atmosphere. I thought the atmosphere created by the much criticised Crawley fans was great and would like to see that continue to the future. Also with regards to the away fans entering the home side, Newport County did that at the Broadfield but unlike the fans yesterday the Newport guys wanted to start a fight on the terrace which they managed to achieve.
Lastly i would like to thank Torquay FC for the hospitability and giving us a great day out. I hope you guys do well this season and hopefully we ll see you again next year
Plymouthgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by Plymouthgull »

Could not make the game which given the reports, was a good thing.
Really worried to hear that Buckle got his tactics wrong and the idea that the game was similar to the semi-final aganist those up the road fills me full of dread. Also concerend about some of so-called better players. Will be very surprised if anyone comes in for Ellis - I think he has been poor for a number of games. Also fed up to read that once again Wroe went 'missing' and why or why must we persist in playing Benyon up front as a lone striker?!! Hope that Southampton Gull is right when he says changes WILL be made.
Finally, really sick and tired of TUFC shooting itself in the foot. We could have used the 5th Round to really push the club forward and it will be a long time before we get another 4th round draw so winnable - oh well onto Hereford I suppose although, can't help feeling that there is little left to look forward to for the rest of the season.
Going for a lie down in a dark room