FA Cup 4th Round - Torquay United vs Crawley Town

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

CrawleyStato wrote:I was at the game yesterday and can understand the resentment of some fans on this forum. I do not like Evans and have never tried to defend him (like alot of fellow Crawley Fans). However Crawley is my local team and i would rather support them (which is what i love doing) than any other team even with the fat t*** at the helm.

Onto yesterday s game, it was a great day out, one which i thoroughly enjoyed. However it was spoilt by some on the pitch actions. I have always hated continuous time wasting but yesterday we seem hell bent on doing it throughout the second which culminated in Tubbs substation which was cringe worthy.

Torquay did play their part in making the game a bad tempered game, your guys committed a great deal of fouls and as stated already on this forum, the ball was kicked off the spot before the penalty by Mansell (Benyon was stated in that earlier post). I am not trying to deflect the attention off Crawley but just wanted to point that out.

Also would like to comment on the ITV highlights which i though was embarrassing to say the least. They just seemed to want to jump on the Crawley “hate” bandwagon which we have had to get used to thanks to our illustrious manager.

It was a shame to see the game wasn t a sell out but it was good to see the game played in a great atmosphere. I thought the atmosphere created by the much criticised Crawley fans was great and would like to see that continue to the future. Also with regards to the away fans entering the home side, Newport County did that at the Broadfield but unlike the fans yesterday the Newport guys wanted to start a fight on the terrace which they managed to achieve.
Lastly i would like to thank Torquay FC for the hospitability and giving us a great day out. I hope you guys do well this season and hopefully we ll see you again next year
This is a very fair assessment of the game - have a great time up at Old Trafford - you deserved it. NOT because of the efforts of your team and management because they were, as you indicate, an embarrassment to your club and fans. But because our team failed to turn up, failed to show any spirit (except for Lee Mansell) and the manager had no Plan B to use because he thinks our mini-strikers can beat four man defences on their own.
Last edited by Modgull on 30 Jan 2011, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
doogull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: E. O kane

Post by doogull »

I am getting bored with the same old excuses about us losing this match which is they cheated in many ways than one but we knew that would happen and we let them, torquay united will and always will be too nice to play those kind of tactics so never be suprised if we get done by them either, another thing about this whole saga is this 4 5 1 at home in the fa cup is not only silly but my mum could of set the team up better, but it doesn't matter as we could of had our promotion side of a few years ago (graham russell etc) and we would of been beaten as i said we can't compete with the rough riders and law benders we are too nice.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

For me it was one of those games that Crawley didn't deserve to win, but we bloody well deserved to lose.

Crawley's tactics were to wind up Troquay players, staff and fans and whilst we are all worried about being p!ssed off they can then sneak in and score. It is the usual underdog tactics from years ago, and for Crawley it paid off with a trip to Old Trafford.

We were sh!t, we couldn't keep the ball on the floor, we let every thing get to us and we gave away a pathetic goal.

As for the popside Ultras...... when we have 15 minutes to go and we need a goal, who gives a flying F*** about how many men it takes to pick up Evans, that was the time you were needed to get behind the team not worry about banter with the other team that were winning at the time. It was the one time when "Sing your hearts out for the lads" actually meant something, but instead you thought it would be better to sod around with a fork lift truck. I can guess now how annoyed Evans is going to be with us when they are sat in the dug our at Old Trafford.

Overall - disappointing day mainly because we let a bunch of creepy crawleys get under our skin
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

Awayday wrote:For me it was one of those games that Crawley didn't deserve to win, but we bloody well deserved to lose.

Crawley's tactics were to wind up Troquay players, staff and fans and whilst we are all worried about being p!ssed off they can then sneak in and score. It is the usual underdog tactics from years ago, and for Crawley it paid off with a trip to Old Trafford.

We were sh!t, we couldn't keep the ball on the floor, we let every thing get to us and we gave away a pathetic goal.
100% agree. we have noone to blame but ourselves. the cheating, the timewasting, the fighting, conning the ref, none of that helped. but we could and should have risen above it. we play some great football at times and the weekend was the time to let that do the talking. benyon on his own up front was a stupid idea and always has been, zebs looked like he needed to focus right from the start when he stood on the ball during one of those trademark aimless runs, and o'kane played far too deep. manse did his best and scott bevan deserves a medal for those two fantastic saves to keep us in it when we really had no right to be, but overall too many players had off days and mentally we were all over the place.

i genuinely hope the crawley fans enjoy their day at old trafford, but you just know with our luck if we'd have got through we'd have drawn leyton orient at home anyway (no disrespect to leyton orient).
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

If we had gone through we wouldn't have been Crawleys number anyway.

Of course for the romantic and sponsors, this was a dream draw.

I didnt say .....fix......cold balls.......hot balls.....
TUST #324
oldpedant
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldpedant »

numpte wrote:If we had gone through we wouldn't have been Crawleys number anyway.
Yes we would have been, because our match was drawn first last time. Whoever won would have been ball number 1.

So as Man Utd v. Crawley was match number 7 in this draw, the winners (Man Utd of course) will be number 7 for the 6th round draw.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Arse!
TUST #324
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

oldpedant wrote: Yes we would have been, because our match was drawn first last time. Whoever won would have been ball number 1.

So as Man Utd v. Crawley was match number 7 in this draw, the winners (Man Utd of course) will be number 7 for the 6th round draw.

Adds handfuls of salt to a very open wound!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
popsider
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Billy Kee

Post by popsider »

Bit annoyed at the result of this game, but then that's football. We can't blame Crawleys underhand tactics for the result, although it didn't really help us.

They went 1-0 up with a lucky goal, and then they parked the bus and where (I thought) unlucky not to score atleast one of their penalties, but like I said that's just football and theres no point whinging and moaning about it.

Manchester United 8-0 Crawley, In front of the world will just about make do.
Torquay United. Today, Tomorrow, forever.
SLC Crawley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by SLC Crawley »

I had more of a battle in Mambos fending off drunken young lasses than our 11 players did at Plainmoor.

I must dig out some of the posts on this forum from people speculating who they would get in the fifth round.

Some of the big mouths got well and truly stuffed by a much better team. That must hurt.

:lol:

And then the fifth round draw.

Too funny, Torquay. Thanks.

x
united09
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by united09 »

SLC Crawley wrote:I had more of a battle in Mambos fending off drunken young lasses than our 11 players did at Plainmoor.

I must dig out some of the posts on this forum from people speculating who they would get in the fifth round.

Some of the big mouths got well and truly stuffed by a much better team. That must hurt.

And then the fifth round draw.

Too funny, Torquay. Thanks.

x
You were hardly the better team and as for mouths your manager and a few of your "one a season" fans have the biggest.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

SLC Crawley wrote:I had more of a battle in Mambos fending off drunken young lasses than our 11 players did at Plainmoor.
Your team plays like a bunch of thuggish, cheating bastards, marshalled by a thuggish, cheating couple of fat bastards. Congrats.

From what I can tell from looking at various football forums, this is going to be the only Man U -v- minnows match where the vast majority of people want the minnows to get their arse handed to them. Great reputation for sportsmanship your team has cultivated. You must be proud.
TUST member 203
SLC Crawley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by SLC Crawley »

divingbboy wrote: Your team plays like a bunch of thuggish, cheating bastards, marshalled by a thuggish, cheating couple of fat bastards. Congrats.

From what I can tell from looking at various football forums, this is going to be the only Man U -v- minnows match where the vast majority of people want the minnows to get their arse handed to them. Great reputation for sportsmanship your team has cultivated. You must be proud.
Glad to see you've taken this so well and aren't in the least bit bitter.

:clap:
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

SLC Crawley wrote: Glad to see you've taken this so well and aren't in the least bit bitter.

The fact that you seem proud, happy and amused of your team cheating its way to wins - which it's done ever since those two thugs took over - says quite a lot about your morals, or lack thereof.
TUST member 203
popsider
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Billy Kee

Post by popsider »

SLC Crawley wrote: Glad to see you've taken this so well and aren't in the least bit bitter.

Why are you still on the site? The game was 2 days ago ffs, go outside.
Torquay United. Today, Tomorrow, forever.