Torquay United vs Gillingham

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Torquay United vs Gillingham

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Plainmoor
Saturday 22nd January 2011
KO: 3pm

After the late disaster at Morecambe last weekend, we're back home at Plainmoor and we host another side in the top 7, Andy Hessenthalers Gillingham. The Gills started the season pretty dreadfully, struggling in the league, getting knocked out of the FA Cup by local non-league side Dover. However, unnoticed by some, a resurgence up the table has seen them move into the playoff zone, courtesy of strikers Cody McDonald and Bayo Akinfenwa, who have both scored plenty of goals so far. Heres a link to their forum (for Matt): http://fansonline.net/gillingham/mb/

LAST 5 SEASONS.

2005/06 - League One - 14th place - 60 points
2006/07 - League One - 16th place - 59 points
2007/08 - League One - 22nd place - 46 points
2008/09 - League Two - 5th place - 75 points - PROMOTED VIA PLAYOFFS.
2009/10 - League One - 21st place - 50 points - RELEGATED TO LEAGUE 2

Gillingham have been on a bit of a downward spiral this decade. They were in Division 1 (Championship) at the turn of the millenium, but got relegated to League One in 2004. Siince then, they were in League One for four seasons, before being relegated down to League 2. They made an instant return to League 1 with a successful playoff victory, but were then sent back down last season. It's been a bit topsy-turvy recently, following the Gills, or so I'd imagine!

HEAD TO HEAD.

Gillingham wins - 28 (24 in League)
Torquay wins - 32 (28 in League)
Draws - 24

We have a decent record against Gillingham, although the two clubs haven't met for 15 years in a League fixture. The last time the two met in a league game finished 0-0 at Plainmoor, in the 1995/96 season. Since then, we have met in the Football League Trophy, and the League Cup. Gillingham beat us 1-0 in the 1998/99 season at Plainmoor, which was my first ever game too. Our latest victory against the Gills was a 3-2 success in the 2nd leg of a League Cup round, but as we lost the first leg 2-0, we were knocked out. We drew 1-1 at the Priestfield Stadium earlier this season, thanks to Kevin Nicholsons 96th minute freekick equaliser!

FORM (LAST 6 GAMES)

WWLWWW

Gillingham clearly are a team in great form. 5 wins from their last 6 has moved them up to 7th, so we'll need to be at our very best to stop them taking anything from Saturdays game. In their last two away games, they've banged in 9 goals, 5 at Stockport and 4 at Macclesfield. Home wins against Port Vale, Stevenage and Northampton surround a narrow 1-0 defeat at Wycombe.

PROBABLE LINE UP.

This is the side that beat Northampton 1-0 at Priestfield:

Alan Julian

Barry Fuller
Josh Gowling
Matt Lawrence
John Nutter

Curtis Weston
Danny Spiller
Kevin Maher
Danny Jackman

Cody McDonald
Andy Barcham

Subs: Cronin, Richards, Bentley, Rooney, S. Payne, Akinfenwa, J. Payne

PLAYERS TO WATCH.

Cody McDonald has hit 12 for the season so far, and is in a rich vein of form at the moment, so he'll need to be stopped. However, we can't just focus on him. Andy Barcham is very quick, and could pose a problem. Then theres Bayo; I don't really need to say much about him.

THE MEN IN CHARGE.

G D SCOTT
J Knowles and K Johnson
Fourth Official R S Ganfield

Graham Scott is in charge for this game. He has been in charge of 18 games this season, giving out 65 yellow cards and 7 reds. He was in charge of our game at Bournemouth in the Johnstones Paint Trophy, back in August. His last visit to Plainmoor was our 1-0 win over Macclesfield in April, in our escape. He also officiated the home game against Port Vale (lost 2-1) and the away 1-1 draw at Shrewsbury last season.

PREDICTION.

I didn't realise they were on such good form, so this'll be very tough. Hopefully they'll receive the backlash after the last 5 minutes of the Morecambe game. And hopefully we don't set our minds too much on Crawley next week.

Gulls 1-1 Gills.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

im also going for a 1-1

benyon (tap in) and spiller for them.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Weather permitting, this is the start of a run of 7 games, 6 at home, including 4 on the bounce, with only one game away (not including any potential 4th Round replay).

Paul Buckle is preparing the team for higher League football, an honourable intention for sure. Please Sir, can we play the tactics that will get us up and out of this Division first ? At Plainmoor we must go at teams with 2 upfront.

Difficult to call this one. Hope it's a win to send us into the Cup tie with a boost in confidence.

And of course, League points are our bread and butter in the pursuit of a play-off position.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

It's very important that the players get the late heartbreak at Morecombe out of their systems, from what I heard the performance was there, but we let it slip.

Gillingham will be very hard to beat (can't believe I'm saying this after their appauling away record in recent years), and I too think this will be a 1-1.

Just please, please, please, no more conceding late goals :'(
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

One of the most important games for me personally this season. I will listen to the game with a Gillingham fan here in Norway. Bragging rights up for grabs :)

A narrow 2-1 win with goals from Kee and Mansell.

COYY

-Eirik-
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Gillingham's performance at Gillingham v Torquay was as cr@p as their away stand and pricing structure.
We got a well deserved 1-1 that game, thanks Nico.

Even though they are above us I believe we will do them 2-0 with home advantage and the whole place buzzing ready for Crawley's visit.

COYY
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Are you going Awayday?

i am going tomorrow. Fully expect us to get rolled, but usually when i think that we'll win.

Standard Torquay fare we'll win 4-0 then get beat by Crawley.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

I cant believe no one has pointed out the danger of Bayo playing alongside a MacDonald :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

royalgull wrote:Are you going Awayday?

i am going tomorrow. Fully expect us to get rolled, but usually when i think that we'll win.

Standard Torquay fare we'll win 4-0 then get beat by Crawley.
Until last night I was going, but I have now got to attend an engagement party.
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

morning campers,am sure we have put last weeks disappointment behind us,onto todays game guys,3 points today please is order of the day,put us in a right frame of mind for next week,does anybody know if akinfenwa playing today...........simon :)
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

If anyones interested, as several friends cant get to the game today, to save hassle texting them I will be tweeting bits and pieces from the game to keep them informed of how its going. Anyone else is welcome to follow things at @tq2steve ;-) ;-)
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

gonna go a for a torquay win with kee scoring at some point, plenty of goals

looks like robbo back at rb and mans in middle

Scott Bevan
Chris Robertson
Mark Ellis
Guy Branston
Kevin Nicholson
Nicky Wroe
Chris Zebroski
Lee Mansell
Danny Stevens
Eunan O'Kane
Elliot Benyon

still no starting place for chubs, buckles not a man for changing things about much?
still keeping the faith
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Akinfenwa on the bench for Gillingham I see.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

where are the rest of their subs gonna sit then!!
still keeping the faith
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

proper fat lad him,not like our bill!!
still keeping the faith