Morecambe vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Dave_Pougher wrote:Can't help think that Evans will have loved this result, we are going to have to be so careful not only in the box but around it. We will only have to breath on any Crawley player and down he goes anywhere ourside of the half way line
V true.

They got 2 in 2 mins today,one of which was a penner. We all know what happened to us. God taking the piss?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

westbaygull wrote:Lalalalalala, I'm not listening to your rude remarks. The boy is a star :bow:
Good on you Westy, it's only Billy banter. :)

Edit 1 : Where's Jeff with the match report ? I've got to go out soon.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

we have given so much credit to our defence in recent weeks,obviously cant get my head round changing formation,but what makes it worse in the dying minutes lunging in the box,am usually one of the more optomistic posters on here,like all of you on here am totally gutted,hoping am going to wake up soon,and this a horrible nightmare, havent felt this low in god knows how long, am just hoping we can bounce back from this debacle,ther is no excusesfor this at all people,as you all know it is an important time for us with the fa cup coming up soon,am really hoping this week in training we take stock of this today,and make sure it dosent happen again,god knows where we would be in the league right now if we hadnt thrown these points away, sorry to be a whingbag guys...simon :(
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Si, as much as we all appreciate the effort, but... What? I think half your message got pea roasted, either that or you too have been sampling Mr Bastard's finest.

Troj, give poor Jeff a break, it is 314 miles home, since it is exceptionally unlikely that he drives a Saturn V rocket, it is understandable that he isn't back yet.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

ferrarilover wrote:Si, as much as we all appreciate the effort, but... What? I think half your message got pea roasted, either that or you too have been sampling Mr Bastard's finest.

Troj, give poor Jeff a break, it is 314 miles home, since it is exceptionally unlikely that he drives a Saturn V rocket, it is understandable that he isn't back yet.

Matt.
ha ha matt will be soon,no danger there,i stand by what i said lol maybe didnt come across very well...simon
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Matt, CTRL and Z is the shortcut for undo. In future if you write loads then accidently delete it use that command and it will come back.

Gutted about the result today. Gutted.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

Gutting. Absolutely gutting.

We simply cannot afford to throw away points like that if we have any apprehensions about promotion at all. I hope Buckle gave them a right roasting at the end.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

drummergull90 wrote:Gutting. Absolutely gutting.

We simply cannot afford to throw away points like that if we have any apprehensions about promotion at all. I hope Buckle gave them a right roasting at the end.
well, to be honest, and in my opinion we arnt ready for promotion - yet.

i would prefer consolidation in league 2 for a few years, build up a squad (and not have to sell our best players) and push for promotion in 3-4 yrs.

that of course is taking into account that we have a squad like we have now and a manager with that desire to boot....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

Just got back, and I can assure you all they were both stitched on Pens. Anyone who says otherwise is either the blind fan who I last saw at Shrewsbury about 8 years ago or knows nothing about football. Saying that they should have been out of sight by then. It was a very open game, but Gulls had more clear cut chances and played much the better football, and their two central defenders were there for the taking. Zebs and Little Danny ran the defence ragged, but the final ball was sadly lacking.
The fact that their keeper was Man Of The Match tells its own tale, and it is disappointing, but lets put things into perspective. If offered mid table security pre season, everyone would have said yes please. The start to the season gave out false hopes. Its not out of the question yet, but if promotion is to be won then next season wont be a disaster rather than this.
Remember where they were just a couple of seasons ago. ;-)

(PS does anyone know who the blind fella is or what happened to him? He was sat near us and made his dog watch the match! If he reached down and the dog was looking around he gave it a bollocking and made it turn around. After the match I was stuck in the car park, so went in the pub across the road for a quick pint with our kid and all I could hear was 'Come on you yellows' and 'Torquay 'til I die' Etc. It was the blind geezer and his mate, bladdered out of their heads in a bar full of Shrews fans. Respect! [as a yo-ath would say]) :bow:
Last edited by EmetEdadsBeard on 15 Jan 2011, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Sorry for the late match report guys, had to give a mate a lift home so I'm doing this from Leicester east! In many ways it's a good thing as it's given me a chance to get today into perspective.

We didn't deserve that today. Controlled the game, no danger at all. Its easier to write this report with the end first, for obvious reasons.

For me, the turning point was one mistake mark ellis made all day. 1-0 and comfortable with 3 or 4 mins to go, a routine ball is pumped down the channel, the likes of which Ellis and Branno have dealt with all day. Ellis goes to side-foot it out of play as standard, but this time the ball catches more studs than boot and it doesn't carry. Morecambe retrieve, and play is switched from left to right in a flash. Duffy - who has done nothing all day - is suddenly running at a retreating defense. Some twinkle toes action takes him past Nico, and onto Branston. Looks like it's going to be easy meat for Branno, but more slight of foot sees Duffy skip over brannos leg and down. In fairness, it was a pen and the look of distress on Brannos face said it all. Their lad belts it down the middle and it's 2 points gone.

But nearly not! We get a free-kick, manse plays it short but doesn't get it quite right. Nico is still able to get good contact just in time and draws a fine save from clear MOTM Roache. Shortly, Morecambe break and again switch from left to right. Duffy is now in a foot race with the ineffectual Hemmings. at first it looks like Hemmings will get there first, but Duffy gets it and is now face to face with Hemmings. all Hemmings needs to do is stay upright and strong. Duffy jinks this way and that, goes for the by-line and Ashley dangles a leg.........disaster. Looked more of a dive ( Duffy made the most of it) but there was definately contact. The penalty was the same, lashed down the middle, no chance for Bevs. Sick, and all of a sudden the Morecambe fans want to have a sing and dance.

So that was minutes 87 to 93. The rest of it's all positive really. First half was quite an entertaining affair, Torquay playing with the wind at our backs. Both teams exchanged chances, Bevs saving well very early on, Roache clinging onto a couple of sighters from O'kane. Shuker looked a real handful for them, but O'kane was the man of the first half. A piledriving free-kick from Nico is parried away by Roache, only just falling out of Benners reach. Ellis has a header well saved, and Zebs fires across the face of goal. Morecambe also had a couple of half chances, and were very tidy in possession and build up. Charnock had a good game at centre back and seems to have got quicker! Robbo got booked for a shirt tug on Shuker, which was sly and deserved but the ref was really poor, constantly giving morecambe nothing free-kicks, whereas not pulling them up when they committed the same offence.

Second half, we had to adapt to playing into the worsening wind and rain. Bevan was noticeably trying to aim is kicks lower to avoid the gale, but 9 times out of 10 they were either sailing straight out or giving Morecambe the platform to attack. Which is something they had little success with. In the early exchanges Mansell took advantage of a defensive ricochet and had a shot well saved by the legs of Roache.

O'kane and Stevens were becoming increasingly peripheral and were withdrawn for Kee and Hemmings. Hemmings was pretty poor today. Tried too many fancy touches but never beat his man once. I personally would have swapped Stevens for Kee, and moved O'kane out wide in a 4-4-2, but hindsight is a beautiful thing.

From the moment kee got on, the chances flowed. Zebs had a shot on the angle pushed away by Roache. Later, Kee took the ball on with his back to goal, turned and ran and hit a peach of a shot with Roache superbly tipped over. We had other chances too, mostly on the break from Morecambes patient but ultimately toothless buildup, but I can't remember them all. This was all played out with a background of awfully inconsisten refereeing, but I should add that the penalties were penalties so I'm not using that as an excuse there.

The goal was a well worked little number. Ball inside to Kee, who casually ran at goal. At first it looked as if he may play in Benners, but he drilled a fine low left footed drive back across to the keepers left. At that point, with morecambe having had a grand total of 0 shots on target in the second half, a hard earned point looked like being a even harder earned 3.

But then the clock ticked 87.............

To summarise, we did 99% right today. Tactics were right for the opposition and the conditions, nobody stood out particularly well, but everyone had a decent enough game. It was the right decision to take Benners off or Oastler with a few mins left - we were defending a 1-0 win in the teeth of a howling gale, and Benners had had very little service or room to operate. Some of the football O'kane played was outstanding, but he did fade. The only thing i would have done differently is the sub I said above, but how was anyone to know Hemmings would be so poor today. What concerns me is that Hemmings, kee and Oastler were the only players we were ever going to bring off the bench. We haven't got the strength in depth to do anything different, which is why I'm a little disappointed Bucks says he isn't looking to bring anyone else in.

Anyway, ratings.....

Bevan - 6 - some good saves, but struggled with swirling crosses second half
Robbo - 5 - guilty of overplaying at times. Tried to go forward when it's really not his strong point
Branno - 7.5 - one mistake only, dangled a bit of a leg for the first pen
Ellis - 7 - not as noticably good as Branno, but only one mistake
Nico - 6.5 - solid. Struggled to get set plays to work with the wind
Manse - 8 - my motm. Passed o.k, worked hard
Wroe - 6.5 - some slack passes but generally strong and tidy
O'kane - 7 - outstanding first half, was starting to fade though
Stevens - 6 - some good runs first half, didn't beat his man enough
Zebs - 6 - much the same as Stevens really
Benyon - 6 - tried, but no service and nullified by a pretty good charnock performance

Subs:
Hemmings - 4 - poor. Didn't do what a winger should, tried to be too fancy and you knew we were in trouble when it was him left 1 on 1 with Duffy
Kee - 7.5 - great. Brought some presence to the front line, worked hard and unlucky not to get another
Oastler - 6 - didnt get long but made some crunching tackles

So, we played well but ultimately went home empty handed. Particularly gutting when you thing we never get breaks like 2 pens in the last few mins of a game where we've been second best. Days like today make me think that maybe we won't make the playoffs. we don't seem to capitalise on being the better team. That said, we have a crucial run of home games and struggling teams, and a few wins could change thins dramatically.

Sorry to keep you all waiting, hopefully that gives you a picture and as ever I look forward to the feedback from other attendees.

Just 120 miles to go..........
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Superb as ever, Jeff. Well worth waiting for. Safe trip home mate.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

unbelieveable Jeff!

Thanks, as ever. :)
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Thanks Jeff another great report. Sounded just as it did on the radio where the final ball was not finished off but apart from the last few minutes it sounds like a good performance. This is football and unfortunately these things happen. Only our third away defeat and as Ematt said I am also quite happy with midtable and many at the start of the season would also take that. Its not the end of the world guys !!
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by andygull »

Just got back and want to disagree with a few posts on here. The first pen was a blatant and embarassing dive, the second was harsh but was a definate penalty. So gutted that we had the points in the bag only to lose so cruelly. The ref was an absolute disgrace to his profession today as were both assistants. Vy worked upery, very poor. In terms of the game we were a little blunt up front with support slow to arrive on breaks yet we had half a dozen decent shots on goal which came to nothing. Generally solid at the back. Stevens was again ineffective , failing yet again to beat men and get telling balls or shots in. All the lad can do in effect is run quickly, he has no footballing brain. Poor. May i also apologise for using quite a bid of bad language when there was a young boy in the row below me.I am not proud of it but i got very worked up. Sorry!!
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

andygull wrote:Just got back and want to disagree with a few posts on here. The first pen was a blatant and embarassing dive, the second was harsh but was a definate penalty. So gutted that we had the points in the bag only to lose so cruelly. The ref was an absolute disgrace to his profession today as were both assistants. Vy worked upery, very poor. In terms of the game we were a little blunt up front with support slow to arrive on breaks yet we had half a dozen decent shots on goal which came to nothing. Generally solid at the back. Stevens was again ineffective , failing yet again to beat men and get telling balls or shots in. All the lad can do in effect is run quickly, he has no footballing brain. Poor. May i also apologise for using quite a bid of bad language when there was a young boy in the row below me.I am not proud of it but i got very worked up. Sorry!!
Sorry to say this but you didn't watch the same match as me. Stevens ran his blood to water in the first half and with a little better quality final ball the game could have been over by half time. Some people get on a player and just will not change their opinion no matter how they play. He worked his socks off today and beat several players several times.
As for 'The first pen was a blatant and embarassing dive' what a load of shat. I was in line with the challenge and it was a penalty, a decision backed up by Branston's reaction of holding his head in his hands and the lack of protest by any of the other players.
Stay off the pop before games Andy.
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!