Morecambe vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

It's just the way brucie is. It doesn't make him a bad person. He reminds me of the boy who constantly cried "wolf" and then one day the wolf actually came.

Welcome back brucie, I don't agree with a lot you have to say, but will defend your right to say it as you see it.

Now far huck hoff back to the other forum you've been frequenting. :)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Trojan 67 wrote:It's just the way brucie is. It doesn't make him a bad person. He reminds me of the boy who constantly cried "wolf" and then one day the wolf actually came.

Welcome back brucie, I don't agree with a lot you have to say, but will defend your right to say it as you see it.

Now far huck hoff back to the other forum you've been frequenting. :)
Alot or all.

I just finally come of the depression pills now I am going to have to consider taking them again (referance to the of Brucie) :)
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Jeff wrote:It's good that my opinion is similar to that of the commentators, hopefully giving my reporting some credibility!
Or the other way round Jeff :lol: :lol:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

usagullmichigan wrote: Alot or all.

I just finally come of the depression pills now I am going to have to consider taking them again (referance to the of Brucie) :)
A lot or all ?

Good question mich. Is 99.9% ambiguous ? I do enjoy(?)reading brucie's posts, but not to the point of getting depression. I had that once and thought far huck this for a game of soldiers. So I went back to the pub and got double pissed, aye, British meaning as well as American meaning. :)
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

At 3-3 against Oxford, Bucks introduced Joe Oastler, presumably to cement the result. We lost 4-3. I believe he entered the fray late yesterday when we were winning, presumably with similar intent. We lost 2-1. Can i respectfully ask that we stop making this change, because it evidently results in us inviting unecessary pressure.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

He came on against Crewe, we won.

It's not the reason we gave away not one but two nonsense penalties in the space of 3 minutes. Having seen them both they were both pens. Branston's reaction to number 1 says it all and the 2nd one, not one complaint from our lot. Again the reaction tells you all you need to know.

It's one of those things, a mugging, a crippling result but we'll bounce back. Next saturday will be a decent game against an improving Gills side. Someone I think Jeff said he's a bit down that we aren't looking to sign anyone else, i agree with this. I think we are a mere 2 players away from being a side that would then have a realisitc chance of finishing 6th-7th. As it is we'll be a creditable 9th-14th sort of side.

I may in a minority but I like Hemmings, i've said before he's got some raw skills to suggest he can do ok at this level, it took Zebroski a while to adapt to a wide position, it took Carayol (LOL) nearly 2 years to fulfill any sort of potential he had so lets give him a bit of a chance, however we need someone a bit more consistant than either him or Stevens to play wide if we want to be top 7, with Hemmings and Stevens being used as impact subs as the game goes on. We also need another centre forward. Benyon and now Kee is starting to find his feet a bit is good but we need someone else as well. Gritts has gone back rightly so he needs replacing ideally with a target man who is a bit more mobile.

Get those 2 players and for me everything else is fine. Unfortunately I don't think we have the finance to do it. If benyon goes then we'd need 2 strikers and i think any chance of being near the top would then be gone.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Fletch wrote: Or the other way round Jeff :lol: :lol:
There you are then Jeff. Steve Breed has been a guest summariser.

Get your letter off (email) to Radio Devon NOW. :clap:

Admin : honour Jeff by making him the offical away match reporter/summariser with tommyg as back up. :clap:
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

royalgull wrote:He came on against Crewe, we won.
It's not the reason we gave away not one but two nonsense penalties in the space of 3 minutes. Having seen them both they were both pens. Branston's reaction to number 1 says it all and the 2nd one, not one complaint from our lot. Again the reaction tells you all you need to know.

It's one of those things, a mugging, a crippling result but we'll bounce back. Next saturday will be a decent game against an improving Gills side. Someone I think Jeff said he's a bit down that we aren't looking to sign anyone else, i agree with this. I think we are a mere 2 players away from being a side that would then have a realisitc chance of finishing 6th-7th. As it is we'll be a creditable 9th-14th sort of side.

I may in a minority but I like Hemmings, i've said before he's got some raw skills to suggest he can do ok at this level, it took Zebroski a while to adapt to a wide position, it took Carayol (LOL) nearly 2 years to fulfill any sort of potential he had so lets give him a bit of a chance, however we need someone a bit more consistant than either him or Stevens to play wide if we want to be top 7, with Hemmings and Stevens being used as impact subs as the game goes on. We also need another centre forward. Benyon and now Kee is starting to find his feet a bit is good but we need someone else as well. Gritts has gone back rightly so he needs replacing ideally with a target man who is a bit more mobile.

Get those 2 players and for me everything else is fine. Unfortunately I don't think we have the finance to do it. If benyon goes then we'd need 2 strikers and i think any chance of being near the top would then be gone.
Well quite. The point is not that he is personally responsible. It is that his introduction is clearly an indication that we are desperate to hold on to what we have - it is not a 'progressive' move. I wonder why we're so keen to make changes when things are evidently going well?

Question to those that were there - were we struggling to contain Morecambe at the time he was introduced? If so, it obviously explains it.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Mmm, Paul Buckle says we're going with what we've got to the end of the season. Me thinks kiddo is using kidology here.

Why ?

Why upset the dressing room spirit at this crucial time in our history when the current squad have worked dam hard against all the odds to get us where we are.

There will be little time after the Crawley match to get loan or otherwise players in. The likelihood of any prospective pre-Crawley match signings not being cup-tied is remote, so we go with what we have up to that point.

What could fa' huck the plan up is a postponement or replay. When using kidology it's vital to factor in all scenarios. If we don't beat Crawley then it's all fa' hucked up.

Paul Buckle is ambitious and has sat down with the Board to discuss what happens to the end of this season and beyond. He will want to push on and create history for the club, history for himself, give us all a chance of the playoffs and stay ahead of the original 5 year plan.

Poor home attendances don't help the situation and then there's the cost of the grandstand rebuild. That's life, sha hit happens. :)
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

It's a conservative move agreed but it's what you see from nearly all sides towards the end of a game that you're winning. I imagine Benyon as ever had run himself into the ground, we don't have any more forward options on the bench so lets go 1 up front with the game won so to speak and bring Oastler on to make us a bit more solid. Morecamabe didn't break us down as such, we just killed ourselves.

It's always easier in hindsight, we swap Benyon like for like, Morecambe score 2 and then Bucks would get criticised for not 'shutting up shop' and seeing the game out.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Unfortunately it doesn't appear that bringing Oastler on makes us 'a bit more solid'. By introducing a defensive midfielder you are naturally inviting pressure - as evidenced by the fact they were in and around our penatly area in the last 5 minutes, and were able to win 2 penalties. If the ball is at the other end of the pitch, there isn't a problem. Perhaps if Gritts was still here, he'd be the right man to bring on to try and hold the ball in the opposition half, rather than retreating to the edge of our own box. Obviously, if we were under pressure at the time we brought on Oastler, the move makes pefect sense. But if we were comfortable until that time, it's a strange move. Certainly against Oxford, at 3-1 down, we changed to 4-4-2 and wrestled control of the game. And then when looking the most likely winners (at 3-3) O'Kane was replaced by Oastler and we gifted Oxford control of the game again.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Got to admit, seeing the highlights on the FL show, I've come to two conclusions:

1) It looks like Billy Kee is starting to find his feet as the season progresses. Well taken goal yesterday.
2) The second penalty did look more of a dive, and people I know at the game said it was so. From the highlights, it was hard to judge as Nicho was in the way. Also, the person who said no-one complained about the penalty, it looked to me like Nicho did. However, if you dangle a foot out like Hemmings did, players will go over it. You could tell from Duffy's reaction that he felt like he'd done something - you never normally see a player jump in the air and punch his fist if he has been truly fouled.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Have been reading with interest the exchanges between Fonda and royalgull.

Sort it out Buckle. :)

This is what happens when you stand too close to the Buckle knockers on the Popside, it sort of rubs off on you regardless of how much you give yourself the shakedown afterwards, some residue still remains.

If the above isn't an oxymoron statement and contradiction of terms then I don't know what is. :)
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

What bothers me is the inability to prevent hoofed balls from the opposition and the inability to keep attackers out of the box. More defence further up the field would not have given Branno or Hemmings the unfortunate opportunity of sticking out a stupid leg.
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Mark Duffy signs for Scunthorpe in the CCC today. Just a shame it wasn't this time last week...
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats