Morecambe vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by andygull »

Can only say what i think i saw mate. I shall watch it on the FL Show later and maybe change my mind once i've seen the incident properly. As for Stevens. I have never slagged off Stevens which i heard some fans do again today however i do feel that his overall output is poor. He did work his socks off and he may have beat several players today but once again there is no real end product and no consistency of quality. What did we gain from Stevens running at some players a bit? Nothing. I will never slag him off but i cannot appreciate him either.
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

andygull wrote:Can only say what i think i saw mate. I shall watch it on the FL Show later and maybe change my mind once i've seen the incident properly. As for Stevens. I have never slagged off Stevens which i heard some fans do again today however i do feel that his overall output is poor. He did work his socks off and he may have beat several players today but once again there is no real end product and no consistency of quality. What did we gain from Stevens running at some players a bit? Nothing. I will never slag him off but i cannot appreciate him either.
Thats what I said but Zeb was an even worse culprit. If these two could cross/pass after getting past defenders and Benyon/Kee/O'Kane/anyone put in half the chances they would create they'd be unbeaten this season with a goal dif of about 40.
Crossing practice on Monday is needed I think.
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

13 and a half hours after leaving my sofa and I'm back on. Racked up some mileage today thats for sure.

On reflection, i thought Stevens had a pretty darn good first half, but as often happens he showed a lot less as the game went on and I wasn't surprised he was substituted.

There were a couple of times in the first half when I thought Stevens was going to score a goal of the season contender. if anyone can remember the goal he scored at Burton in the BSP, it was basically that but he tried to take on one more player. The ball was just nicked off his toes in his shooting stride. He had another similar effort in the first half too. You can't knock him for any of that and he was a good outlet. Zebs less so today, I thought he could have tried to beat his man more. A couple of times in the first half he crossed from a really shallow angle when he should perhaps have gone for the by-line. After all, that was what Duffy did at the end and look how that ended up.

I've said for a while that Stevens is one of the best first half wingers in the division, but once he gets found out his threat disappears. That was what happened today. Its a similar thing with O'Kane - after an hour both are generally bit part players and hence they get subbed. Don't get me wrong - these are still the players who are most likely to create that something special, but if they are being double-marked then the chances of them doing so are minimal.

I'd still like to see us add a couple of faces to the squad. Like I said in my match summary it was pretty obvious which of the 3 subs we were going to use - we had nothing outside of that. Even if it was a young player on loan or something. I've already covered Hemmings shortcomings - he was amazing for 50mins at Wycombe just 6 weeks ago, but since then he's done nothing.

The ref was poor today, totally inconsistent. But I've not compliants over either of the penalties. Duffy wasn't shy of throwing himself to the deck, and his writhing around after the first penalty was just embarrassing. But there was definite contact both times and we put ourselves in a position where the ref had a decision to make.

The silver lining from today - other results. We started the day 3pts off 6th, we ended it 4pts off 6th. Still got a run of winnable games coming up, a couple of good results and we're right there again.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

thanks jeff, andy and mick(emet) for the reports. :)

as i thought earlier, defo 3pts lost/thrown away/gifted. :(
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

And just to rub a bit of salt into the wound, The Football League Show has just showed plenty of opportunities from every other game in League 2 so far, then it gets to the Torquay game and the highlights START with Billy Kee's goal and then just show the two penalties. I thought we were meant to get around 2 mins? That was no way 2 minutes!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

cambgull wrote:And just to rub a bit of salt into the wound, The Football League Show has just showed plenty of opportunities from every other game in League 2 so far, then it gets to the Torquay game and the highlights START with Billy Kee's goal and then just show the two penalties. I thought we were meant to get around 2 mins? That was no way 2 minutes!
The 2 minutes relate to the highlights on the website, rather than the footage on the FLS
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Jeff wrote: The 2 minutes relate to the highlights on the website, rather than the footage on the FLS
Ahh, I thought this was for both. Either way, my point still stands really. They showed chances from pretty much every other game apart from ours.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Lets face it we are never going to be flavour of the month on any local or national t.v .Maybe we should adopt a Millwall attitude "No one likes u we don't care "!!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Guys,

I ummed and aahed for a while about what to do with the information I have and in the end I decided the following sentence to be the appropriate action. What I know needs sharing to balance the archives, but I would feel in violation of confidence to divulge any further detail. Listen (or read) very carefully...

I have it from the best possible source that the FIRST of the two penalties awarded was a dive.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

ferrarilover wrote:Troj, give poor Jeff a break, it is 314 miles home, since it is exceptionally unlikely that he drives a Saturn V rocket, it is understandable that he isn't back yet.

Matt.

:clap: :Oops: :clap:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

EmetEdadsBeard wrote: Thats what I said but Zeb was an even worse culprit. If these two could cross/pass after getting past defenders and Benyon/Kee/O'Kane/anyone put in half the chances they would create they'd be unbeaten this season with a goal dif of about 40.
Crossing practice on Monday is needed I think.
Problem is if they could do all that then they wouldn't be playing League Two football!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Thanks Jeff, another two outstanding match reports/summaries.

Do you do all that off a mobile phone or do you take a netbook with you ?

It's uncanny that when Julian Gaunt and Dave Thomas do the Radio Devon commentary/summary it matches your viewpoint almost precisely.

Get a letter in to Radio Devon to be an away match summariser. :clap: :bow: :clap:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Trojan 67 wrote:Thanks Jeff, another two outstanding match reports/summaries.

Do you do all that off a mobile phone or do you take a netbook with you ?

It's uncanny that when Julian Gaunt and Dave Thomas do the Radio Devon commentary/summary it matches your viewpoint almost precisely.

Get a letter in to Radio Devon to be an away match summariser. :clap: :bow: :clap:
Cheers mate, nice to know it's appreciated. Any updates from the game or shortly after are done via my iPhone - believe me my fingers were cramping up yesterday writing that one! It's good that my opinion is similar to that of the commentators, hopefully giving my reporting some credibility!
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Thanks for the report Jeff. What a *******!! Gutted like you all but, to be honest, wasn't expecting much, maybe a draw. We are not yet ready to push for playoffs or promotion at all so I would settle for consolidation and building on what we have started since getting back last season. The makings of a really good squad are there and the style of play is pleasing on the eye but there still needs to be some ugly stuff done in this league. Onwards to next week then :(
Oblivion!!!!
NA Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Howe

Post by NA Gull »

It was a bad day for us. The result I can live with, the way it came about I can just about accept, but what has really annoyed me is that it has provoked the terminally miserable and joy sapping Burcie to start posting again. Unforgivable.