Torquay United vs Crewe Alexandra

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Torquay United vs Crewe Alexandra

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Plainmoor
Tuesday 11th January 2011
KO: 7:45pm

After Saturdays delightful performance and result against Carlisle, we move back to the league and a tough game against Crewe. Crewe are one of the bigger sides in this league, but they haven't done much in their time down here. A rather slow start to the season didn't give the Railwaymen any headlines, but recently, they have crept up the table and now they find themselves sat in a respectable 5th place. This game is going to be very tough for our lads, after a gruelling 90 minutes on Saturday. However, Crewe were in action on Saturday themselves, and they have a long journey to contend with, which goes in our favour.

GULLS NEWS.

I believe that we have the same available players that we had on Saturday. Martin Gritton has since returned to Chesterfield though.

LAST 5 SEASONS.

2005/06 - Championship - 22nd place - 42 points
2006/07 - League One - 13th place - 60 points
2007/08 - League One - 20th place - 50 points
2008/09 - League One - 22nd place - 46 points
2009/10 - League Two - 18th place - 55 points

As you can see, the club has been in a decline for the past 5 seasons. The fall from the Championship to League 2 is quite a big one, but Crewe are among the big teams in the basement division. I think they have built a squad good enough for a top 10 finish in League 2, and with Dario Gradi still in charge, I can see him bringing some success to the club again soon.

HEAD TO HEAD.

Crewe wins - 16
Torquay wins - 21
Draws - 16

As you can see, we have a slightly better record in the past games against Crewe. The two sides have never met in a cup competition, either. Last season was the first time the two clubs have met for a long time, 16 seasons to be exact. Last seasons meetings both finished 1-1, with Crewe scoring a late equaliser at Gresty Road, and another late equaliser at Plainmoor. We picked up a decent point at Gresty Road this season, bottling a 3-1 lead to eventually draw 3-3.

FORM (LAST 6 GAMES)

LWDWWW

Crewe come into this game at Plainmoor in good form, with 4 wins out of 6, including 3 on the trot. A defeat against Rotherham was followed up by 4 points from two away games, a win at Morecambe and a 3-3 draw at Stockport. Three wins in a row have come against Northampton, Shrewsbury and Wycombe, last Saturday. In those three games, they have conceded, which isn't bad going, really.

PROBABLE LINE UP.

This is the side that beat Wycombe 3-0 at Gresty Road.

Rhys Taylor

Matt Tootle
David Artell
Patrick Ada
Danny Blanchett

Lee Bell
Luke Murphy
Ashley Westwood
Byron Moore

Clayton Donaldson
Shaun Miller

Subs: Shelley, Powell, Grant, Zola, Phillips, Dugdale, Sarcevic

PLAYERS TO WATCH.

For me, there are a few players to be aware of in that team. Donaldson and Miller seem to be in good form, as they scored the goals to beat Wycombe. Ashley Westwood is a good young prospect, the latest one to come through the Crewe academy. Lee Bell is full of experience at this level, which is vital for the younger heads in the squad.

PREDICTION.

Hmm..

1-1.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I'll be there for me voucher.

Hope the weather improves although I don't see a problem with the pitch, a tad heavy for sure.

I'm useless at predictions so there isn't one.

Attendance ? Gawd knows.

Will have a pint with me dinner and one in Boots & Laces halftime then straight home to bed. Bloody work! :(
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Stoke_Gull »

Crewe will be difficult tomorrow but we have enough quality to see them off I think particularly as we should have beat them comfortably back in October but threw away a good lead. Interestingly I have never seen a set of fans which despise their own team as much as the Crewe fans. We went to see Crewe v Torquay last February and my uncle had managed to get free tickets for all 5 of us but we had to sit in the main home stand with the Crewe fans and they were abusing their team constantly throughout the match but not by shouting or swearing, all they did was complain that their team couldn't string 2 passes together and that they were generally awful. I've never seen or heard anything quite like it. Pretty funny too.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I was debating this but I can't afford it really, especially not as I'm coming down for the Gillingham game. Expensive to get down to the bay on your own!

I think this'll be a really good game, Crewe = goals both for and against. I'm going for us to win 3-1. :)
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

After our confident boosting win Saturday - 2-1 win for this!

Benyon and zebroski!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Don't suppose anyone from the oxford/reading or even swindon area is going tonight and fancies halving their petrol costs? :)
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I am In bristol.(well its Yate really) I may well be interested in sharing petrol with you if it cuts your costs. I will ask the relevant household authority. if its yes ring me on 07890 891345. glostergull :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

After a mad scramble to get all my work done I can now make it, get in !!

See some of you there, trojan, you know what mine is :)

Cheers
Dave

Florez-Florez
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Florez-Florez »

Does anybody know if the drummer(awayday) going to be there?
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Southampton Gull wrote:After a mad scramble to get all my work done I can now make it, get in !!

See some of you there, trojan, you know what mine is :)

Cheers
Having an evening meal at my bruv's first, then will walk over Boots about 6.45 - 7.00 and will definitely be having one in Laces half time. Maybe will have one at full time too. (D)
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Oh dear, I know it's immature (moi?) but forgot about Matt Tootle....cue much sniggering during the commentary tonight :Oops:
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

2-2 draw, after being ahead twice!
still keeping the faith
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

unchanged by looks of it?
still keeping the faith
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Here we go, COYY...
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

argyle ahead, you guessed it snw i backed hudders!!
still keeping the faith