FA Cup Round 3: Torquay United vs Carlisle United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

FA Cup Round 3: Torquay United vs Carlisle United

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Plainmoor
Saturday 8th January 2011
KO: 3pm

Arguably our biggest game of the season yet pits us against higher league opposition. Carlisle United are the visitors in what should be a tough encounter at Plainmoor this weekend. We will be looking to bounce back after the New Year weekend, where we took one point from a possible 6, including that undeserved 4-3 reverse against Oxford on Monday afternoon. As disappointing as the final result was, it was a very good game. I hope that Saturdays is a similar type of game, as long as we win. We, as a club, need to try to entice more fans into Plainmoor regularly, which, as we all know is a big ask in this current climate, but a win on Saturday and the plum draw that we all want could be absolutely vital for the club. On the other hand, we mustn't underestimate Carlisle at all, as they are a league above and it will be a tough game for both teams.

GULLS NEWS.

A new feature that was asked for recently. I think that we have one injury concern so far, with Guy Branston looking set to miss out, unfortunately. I expect to see the back four that shipped 4 to Oxford play again, if Guy can't make it. I think that Paul Buckle will use a similar starting 11, with O'Kane behind Benyon, although I feel Billy Kee will be pushing for a start after a great performance against Oxford. I think Oastler will return for Lathrope, though.

LAST 5 SEASONS.

2005/06 - League 2 - 1st place - 86 points - PROMOTED TO LEAGUE ONE
2006/07 - League 1 - 8th place - 68 points
2007/08 - League 1 - 4th place - 80 points - LOST IN PLAYOFFS
2008/09 - League 1 - 20th place - 50 points
2009/10 - League 1 - 14th place - 58 points

5 years ago, Carlisle won League 2 by a clear 3 points ahead of Northampton, to seal promotion to League One. It was a fantastic season for their supporters, as they wrapped us the title in their final home game, even though we beat them 2-1 on the day, a memorable result from Ian Atkins' incredible escape. I remember it well. However, Carlisle took to League One like a duck to water, and in the following two seasons, they finished just outside the playoffs, before finishing in an impressive 4th place, only to lose to Leeds United over two legs in the Semi Finals. That season was followed by a disappointing one, where the Cumbrians finished in 20th place, only surviving by a point, again with Northampton the unfortunate team to finish 21st, losing out by a point. A season of consolidation was completed last year, as they finished in a comfortable 14th place.

HEAD TO HEAD.

Torquay wins - 14
Carlisle wins - 16 (1 in Cup)
Draws - 7

This fixture has been fairly evenly split over time, with Carlisle just edging us out, by two victories more. One of those wins was the only ever cup game between the sides, way back in September 1962; a bit of history for you there, Saturday being the first cup meeting between the two sides for 48 years and 4 months. League wise, the first meetings were back in the old Division 4, in 1958/59. More recently, however, their have been some exciting games at Plainmoor, and they seem to have a fair few goals in them aswell. In the 1999/00 and 2000/01 seasons, we hit 4 past the Blues to win 4-1 and 4-2 respectively. In 2003, Carlisle won 3-2 in an exciting game at Plainmoor, but a year later, under Leroy, we won 4-1 in a game where Carlisle were struggling, and I think, eventually relegated. However, two years later, in our most recent game at Plainmoor, Carlisle won 4-3 in a very exciting game, with Karl Hawley stealing the show with a hat-trick. There was a late winner for Carlisle in that game aswell. (How many resemblences to the Oxford game do there want to be?!!?)

FORM (LAST 6 GAMES)

DWWLDL

Two wins, two draws and two defeats in their last 6 games shows that their isn't really a run of form either good or bad for Cumbrians to enjoy at this current time. Five of these games have been at Brunton Park, with a 1-1 draw with Rochdale being followed by Tamworth & Sheffield Wednesday being seen off in cup competitions; Tamworth in the FA Cup, and Wednesday in the Johnstones Paint Trophy. Back to the league, a disappointing 2-0 home reverse to Dagenham was followed by a score draw with Huddersfield. Mondays bank holiday game saw a 2-1 defeat at Tranmere.

PROBABLE LINE UP.

This is the team that lost 2-1 at Prenton Park:

Adam Collin

Frank Simek
Lubomir Michalik
Peter Murphy
Matthew Robson

Paul Thirlwell
James Berrett
Tom Taiwo
Craig Curran

Gary Madine
Ben Marshall

Subs: Bowman, Grella, Zoko, Hurst, Caig, Cruise, Eastham

PLAYERS TO WATCH.

In that team, the player to watch in my mind is Gary Madine. The young forward has bagged 13 goals so far this season, 7 of which have come in two games, a hat-trick at Hartlepool and 4 against Tipton Town in the FA Cup 1st Round. I think that Madine will be a big threat, as he has shown his ability in League One, so we will need to watch him carefully. I also believe that Francis Zoko could be a danger, if he plays any part.

THE MEN IN CHARGE.

Referee: P N Gibbs
Assistant Referees: A R Hendley & A A Laver
Fourth Official: B J Malone

Mr Gibbs is in charge for this cup-tie. He has been in charge of a game at Plainmoor on one occasion this year, with that game being our 3-1 win over Morecambe, where he sent two Morecambe players off (more of the same please). I don't recall him being bad that day. He officiated two games for us last season, our 3-1 win at Cheltenham in the JPT and a 1-0 win over Northampton. He was also the referee for our Boxing Day game at St James Park in 2007/08, where we lost 4-3.

PREDICTION.

I'm hopeful of the crowd being around 4,000, as it was fairly poor on Monday so I'm hoping it was people saving their money for Saturday. I know I'll be there, hopefully to see a Gulls win and then hopefully get a great tie in Round 4.

Won't say a score as god knows what can happen in the FA Cup, but due to recent history between the clubs at Plainmoor, one thing I do expect is goals!

COYY!
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

3 Generations of my family going to this one, first time since Lincoln away,

Edging 2-1 benyon and o'kane. With us conceding a sloppy late goal
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Mickaliks and grella's loan contract have run out-not yet renewed yet so they may not play

1-0 gulls Benyon's last goal for the gulls!
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

i believe that the crowd need to make noise from the start, it was quiet against oxford, if we make the noise the players will know that we are behind them with the home advantage.

oh and 3-1 gulls, benners X2, wroe, 3105,
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

SG, myself and the drum will be there tomorrow so should help with the noise levels in the popside.

Mr Gibbs (the ref) was very good when he was down for the Morecambe game, so I think we will have a reasonably fair ref for this clash.

I would like to say we have a chance against Carlisle as long as we don't have the sloppy defense of Hereford and Oxford (I wasn't there so only going by match reports). I think it is more important (especially with the missed games due to weather) that we don't get a replay away. If at 90 minutes +3 it is still a draw I would give the ball to Bevan and let him stick it in his own net and avoid a replay.

I don't know why but I think the players are going to be well up for this one, the likes of Benyon are going to be pumped and ready to promote themselves to the higher leagues. Other players will be pumped to try and secure their places before the end of the transfer window. I am going to stretch my neck out and say a comfortable 2-0 win to Torquay 0-0 at half time.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

awayday, could you possibly put a link here for the back step army's facebook page? much appreciated.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Vital game

A win means we might be able to hold on to the services of a player of the likes of O'Kane.

A loss means we might be forced into selling assets which will leaving us finacially better off but footballing wise - in the sh*t.

Heart says 2 - 1 Torquay, head says 2 - 0 Carlisle
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Richinns wrote:Vital game

A win means we might be able to hold on to the services of a player of the likes of O'Kane.

A loss means we might be forced into selling assets which will leaving us finacially better off but footballing wise - in the sh*t.

Heart says 2 - 1 Torquay, head says 2 - 0 Carlisle

I think Buckle indicates exactly that http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 49,00.html
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Bucks is right to mention the need for numbers through the turnstiles, and volume from the terraces. But a lot does actually depend on the tactics he chooses from the outset. It's a lot easier to make an intimidating din if we're laying seige to the opposition goal and raining shots in from all angles - or at least attempting to play progressive football. It's a lot more difficult to create a wall of sound to accompany us dropping deep and making desperate clearances into touch. We have one chance to win this tie - and that is tomorrow. We have to go for them from the first minute in the same way we did Yeovil and Coventry in recent times. Tactics like those used against Oxford are destined to fail. And it'll be a failure played out to the sounds of frustration. There is no shame in losing to teams in a division above, but there is no excuse to not having a real go in a cup tie. The Coventry result was sickening, but i'm sure we were all proud of the performance. More recently, Brighton disposed of us in a game we were never in. Of course the performance of the opposition is important, but lets at least make them work for it.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Any idea how much it is to get in tomorrow?

For a concession/student?

Thanks.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Oi, 4life, how many more times? I believe it's normal prices, meaning £13 for tax/coffin dodgers.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

ferrarilover wrote:Oi, 4life, how many more times? I believe it's normal prices, meaning £13 for tax/coffin dodgers.

Matt.

How do you mean- how many more times?

No one answer on the other thread(that I've seen) so I thought I'll try and get an answer here!

Thanks anyway.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Matt, stop being a tool and give the guy a genuine answer ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/Prici ... 45,00.html

Doesn't say it there, but the pricing will be the same as that for tomorrow. HTH
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Southampton Gull wrote:http://www.torquayunited.com/page/Prici ... 45,00.html

Doesn't say it there, but the pricing will be the same as that for tomorrow. HTH
Thanks SG! The first answer I've had all week! :engflag: