Stevenage vs Torquay - 18th September

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Stevenage vs Torquay - 18th September

Post by Plymouth Gull »

So, we travel to London on Saturday as we visit the Lamex Stadium, formerly known as Broadhall Way, home of Stevenage FC. This is their first season in the Football League, after romping to the Conference title last season. They won the league, ahead of rivals Luton, by 11 points. As we all well know, they would have made their Football League bow in the previous decade, but at the time, there ground wasn't up to standard, so we luckily kept our place.

LAST 5 SEASONS.

2005/06 - Conference - 6th place - 69 points
2006/07 - Conference - 8th place - 70 points
2007/08 - Conference - 6th place - 79 points
2008/09 - Conference - 5th place - 81 points - LOST IN PLAYOFF SEMI FINAL.
2009/10 - Conference - 1st place - 99 points

As you can see, the club have steadily improved as each year has gone on. Their points tally has bettered as each season has gone by, and that all culminated in the club winning the Conference by 11 points last season. They would have smashed the 100 point barrier, but as Chester were kicked out of the League, they had their points from those two games chalked off.

HEAD TO HEAD.

Torquay wins - 3
Stevenage wins - 0
Draws - 1

These two clubs have only ever met 4 times. And all four of them were recent. When we were in the Blue Square Premier, we met them 4 times, over the two seasons. In our first year, we did the double, winning 4-2 at Plainmoor, and 3-1 at Broadhall Way. The following season, we won 3-0 at Plainmoor, before drawing 0-0 at Broadhall Way. That was the last time we have met Stevenage. I hope we can continue our unbeaten record against Stevenage next weekend, and come away with atleast a point.

FORM. [LAST 6 GAMES]

LWDLDL

Their last 6 games haven't gone too well, but you can't really expect miracles from a side getting used to league life. Their first League defeat came at the hands of Bradford. They beat Stockport 3-1 to win a League game, at the 3rd attempt. Since then, they have drawn at Aldershot, lost against Brentford in the Johnstones Paint Trophy, and drawn at home to Crewe 1-1. Today they lost 1-0 at the hands of Cheltenham.

SUMMER TRANSFERS.

During the summer, there wasn't really that many transfers in and out of the Lamex Stadium. Only five players came in, while 4 left. I get the impression that manager Graham Westley has confidence in the squad he built from last year, to see how they cope in the League. The players who joined are Peter Winn [Scunthorpe], Darius Charles [Ebbsfleet], Luke Foster [Mansfield], Robbie Sinclair [Salisbury] and John Mousinho [Wycombe]. The players who left were Andy Drury [Luton], Mitchell Cole [Oxford], Eddie Odhiambo [Newport], and Mark Albrighton [Kidderminster].

PROBABLE LINE UP.

This is the side that started their match at Cheltenham:

---------------------------------------------Chris Day------------------------
Ronnie Henry------Mark Roberts------------Jon Ashton---------Scott Laird
---------------Lawrie Wilson----Michael Bostwick---Joel Byrom-------------
---------------Tim Sills----------Charlie Griffin--------Yemi Odubade-----------

PLAYERS TO WATCH:

For me, there are two players that will need watching next week. Charlie Griffin is a well known scorer in the non-league, and he has hit 3 league goals so far this season. This means to me that he has so far successfully stepped up, and although he is in the twilight of his career, he could be a handful for Branston and Ellis.

The other man to watch for me is central midfielder Michael Bostwick. He had a good season last time around, and was attracting offers from League 1/Championship sides. However, he showed some loyalty to Stevenage and has stayed on for the start of this season. I would imagine he is the engine room of the team, and he starts the attacks and helps the defence out aswell. He scores goals too, and he has already scored a cracker from 25 yards in the victory over Stockport.

PREDICTION:

Well, I am really looking forward to this one. I am sure that our fans will give Tim Sills a great reception if he's in their squad, and I also think that we will come out with our unbeaten record against Stevenage intact. I'll pump for a 1-1 draw.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Fantastic starter thread Nick Gull :)

I will be going to this one! :) - Hopefully will be better than Accy game! And hopefully benners is back! :)

I'd play:

Bevan

Robbo
Branston
Ellis
Nico

Carlisle
Wroe (C)
Manse
Macklin

Gritt
Benners - If not then Zeb

And NOT going to change it to 4-5-1!!! COYY YELLOW ARMY!! - 3-0 - Manse, Wroe, Benners/Zeb
Last edited by Colorado Gull on 12 Sep 2010, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

Great thread starter!

I'd go 4-4-2

Bevan

Nicho
Ellis
Branno
Robbo

Stevens
Wroe
Mansell
Zebroski

Benyon
Gritton

If Benyon is injured, then Kee instead. That is the team that brought us the 998, if it ain't broken then don't fix it.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Soon we're going to get a solid thumping, and this may very well be the time.

Stevenage (3) 5
Torquay United (0) 0

Att: 2299
Chow Mein
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Bruno Meirelles

Post by Chow Mein »

Lose 5 0 ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Good one!
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Fancy a win here, lots of London based gulls around sure we'll be well voiced and hopefully we'll find the back of the net a few times.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

i also think a 2-0 comfortable win here .. zebs and benyon to score and we will most probably come against tim sills also ... but i think we have the better team by a long Chalk .. COYY. :)
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

I think we should start with 4-4-2.

Bevan
Nico
Ellis
Branston
Robbo
Zebs
Wroe
Mansell
Carlisle
Kee
Benyon (<- Not sure what is up with him, if for any reason he is unavailable, gritton)

I think this game will be similair to the accrington game, very cagey, but I think we will edge it.

Stevenage 1-2 Torquay
Griffin

Mansell
Kee
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

I have absolutely no idea who is going to win, I have no idea how we'll play, and I have no idea what the table will look like on saturday evening.

And this is why I love lower league football! :P
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Glad people liked the intro. If there were any other things they wanted to know, I'll happily try and further improve the introductions in the future.

Anyway, looking forward to this one :)
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

NickGull wrote:Glad people liked the intro. If there were any other things they wanted to know, I'll happily try and further improve the introductions in the future.

Anyway, looking forward to this one
:)
Not half as much as me I can assure you! Roll out of bed around 13:00 and I'll still be in sunny St Evenage in time for kick off!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Alright for some!

Got to go up and help my brother move into his Uni accomodation in High Wycombe - me and my dad are then going to the game, then getting a train home from Reading the next day.

Lets hope it's all worth it!
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Fancy a win here-
2-0 or 3-1(with sills scoring!)

Wroe penalty and benyon(zebroski if 3-1) for us.
I'd go 4-4-2
Changing Stevens and gritton (who I didn't think did anything on saturday) with Benyon(if fit) or kee and also give O'kane a start out wide.
Guess attendance: 2587(no idea what there average is so far)
nananana
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Micky Cave

Post by nananana »

happytorq wrote:I have absolutely no idea who is going to win, I have no idea how we'll play, and I have no idea what the table will look like on saturday evening.

And this is why I love lower league football! :P

I on the other hand do have an idea...having correctly predicted last weeks score!

If we play in this new formation we adopted at Southend and carried over to the Accrington game...then we're going to lose! :(

If on the other hand we go back to the formation we used for the first four games of the season...then we're going to win! :)

1:0 or 0:1 depending on which formation we play...simples! :?
It's a sobering thought, but in a hundred years or less, every person that uses this site will be dead!
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Due to my Mum's selfish attitude to have her 60th Birthday on Saturday I can't make this one, which is a shame because I like this one. Even my Dad called me and was quite firm about how my attendance would be appreciated for the entire day and not just on my way back from the game...... for my Dad to say that it is bloody serious, normally it is Golf / Football / Archers then family gatherings.

Looking at the rest of September I can see us winning here and against Macclesfield and maybe slipping against Aldershot. I would be happy with 6 points from the next 3 games.

I know times have changed since our last meetings back in the good old BSP days, but I think a 3-0 win to us which will keep us top of the table on goal difference.

I would like to go to Shrews knowing full well what ever the result there, we will still be top of the table when we leave the ground.

COME ON YOU YELLOWS !!!!!!