Stevenage vs Torquay - 18th September

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Anyone know how many we took today? Looked a fair few from where I was stood behind the goal!

Thought we played well today especially in defence keeping another Clean Sheet.

Upfront I feel if were going to keep playing the formation we did today we need to start Kee as in my opinion Grittons been poor for us in the last few games.
sgmboro
Trialist
Trialist

Post by sgmboro »

Match report from today's game now online.

http://fcboro.co.uk

Good luck for the rest of the season. Quite impressed with some of the stuff you played today. Eunan O'Kane looks a very useful player.
http://fcboro.co.uk - the Stevenage blog
sexygulls
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by sexygulls »

I thought we played pretty well today, apart from the last 15 minutes when we reverted to classic Torquay. The 998 minutes is clearly no fluke as the defense is imposing and not prone to the usual league 2 mishaps. Hopefully Ellis is alright, the whole stand could hear the crunch and were very relieved to see Mark up on his feet (anyone else recall Valencia in midweek?)

Not sure how to call todays game. Either we hit the woodwork three times and were unlucky to score, or we were lucky to hit the woodwork three times. What I will say is that after 60 minutes we lacked ambition and settled for a point, Buckle didn't try and force the game by bringing on Kee/Benyon for Wroe or Stevens. And while we probably are punching above our weight when leading the table, we should be putting our foot down against the likes of Stevenage.

We shouldn't play 4-5-1, except against obviously superior teams, as it gives us nothing going forward. Gritton had an impossible job today, he was double marked throughout and even when he won the ball often had no-one to give it to. It was either hoof or attempted tiki-taka through a congested midfield, and we are not yet FC Barcelona.

Stevenage's set pieces were odd to say the least. They seemed to be trying to confuse us but in the end it just wasted even more time, infact I thought they were sometimes looking for penalties by running fast and hard at our defenders. Basically if you man-mark at set pieces (so everyone then), you not going to be confused and we coped fine.

As for the ref, In the first half Gritton won a header then in the next challenge went in high with his foot and caught their player in the chest. However it was obvious that there was no intent whatsoever and therefore the ref only gave a warning. Pitty that this common-sense couldn't be applied to the rest of game then, we finished near on 5 o'clock and there were more breaks than a test match.

few points about our players....

Branston.
Brilliant as always. At one point in the second half he had to defend our box on his own and so headed the ball straight up in the air before heading it clear under pressure, like a volleyball player setting himself up.

Wroe,
Did a good job of breaking up the play with Mansell but unfortunately seemed to be under instruction not to go anywhere near the Stevenage penalty area. People moan about Wroe being anonymous but actually he's irrelevant most of the time as the play bypasses the midfield. Buckle heeds to push Wroe further forwards alongside O'Kane, if we have to play 4-5-1.

Stevens,
I've realized that Danny Stevens is the best winger in the division, for 15 minutes. After that the full back gets a grip and he's ineffective. In the first 15 minutes he skinned everyone on their right and hit the post, but hen didn't have much joy for the rest of the match.

Zebs
Had a great battle with their left back, who probably won in the end. Zebs had enough skill to get round him most time, problem was the full back was very strong and always managed to get his foot in at the last minute. Was great watching this personal battle within the b game.

Nicolson
Well worked freekick to hit the post. However his set piece delivery was not up to the usual standard and often seemed to be aimed towards Gritts who was double marked all game. Height is an issue now if the Centre Backs aren't up, basically its Gritton and a lanky Zebroski offering any aerial threat, So work something else out for set pieces or its a total waste

Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

A little bit late giving my views but I've only just got back so y'know.

First off, very impressed with the turnout from us. 400 at the very least, which again is excellent, considering the distance. Made a fair bit of noise - I was hoping the drummer would be there but unfortunately not. Stevenage fans seemed to do that 'ultras' chant with no singing all game, which got better as more people joined in.

Now for the game. The first half, we were very good I thought. We dominated for prolonged periods, not really creating many chances, but when we did, they were close. Gritts had one just over the bar; Robbo hit the inside of the post, Danny hit the post after a good (but extremely fortunate) save by their keeper. Eunan was fantastic - causing all sorts of problems, and I know we all said it on here, but 'in the hole' seems like the perfect position. The only realy problem was Gritton, in my mind. Now, this criticism would have been more, but because EVERY SINGLE TIME it was played towards him, the Stevenage defenders held him down by the waist. A freekick? Of course not. This happened at least 3 times in the box, once to Ellis, all from corners/throwins which could easily have been penalties.

Stevens did well, using his pace well, caused a few problems. Now onto Zebroski. He didn't have his best game, and I would say he struggled, but only because of the brute of a leftback that Darius Charles was. He looked like a rugby player, and whenever Zebs had a sniff of getting past him, he was barged off the ball.

Wroe's passing went amiss on the odd occasion, which was worrying, as that meant we lost plenty of balls in the middle. Mansell did okay, I thought, with his energetic performance, as always.

The defence was extremely solid, and had nothing to worry about in the first half. Stevenage had nout upfront, except Odubades pace, but their end product was poor.

I was very worried when Ellis went down, as you could hear it from where I was. I wouldn't be surprised to see that he has broken/chipped a bone in his foot/ankle after that one.

As said, the officials were very poor, and seemed to favour Stevenage.

Still, away from home, hitting the woodwork 3 times, and picking up a point is okay in my book.

:)
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Thanks for the reports. I always target three points at home and one away. That would give us 92 points at the end of the season - comfortably enough to go up. With three home games and four away gone, the target would have been 13 points, so we're one better off based on my rash formula. Of course as soon as you lose a few home games, it goes downhill very quickly! (Please note I am not suggesting we will come anywhere near those dizzy heights)..

While it seems clear O'Kane impresses whenever he's in the side, we don't have a striker who can effectively play on his own up top. The position of a sole striker usually requires strength and skill, as well as the ability to hold the ball up and score goals. Benyon, Gritts and Kee possess some of these qualities but not all of them (unless you mould them as one). In fact, I would say Zebs would suit the striker role best in a 4-5-1 formation.

I think though we need to revert back to the trusty 4-4-2 which served us so well in the first batch of games. The downside of that is O'Kane will probably miss out unless you shift him in a wide position - which wouldn't get the best out of him. Harsh, but have to think of the big picture.

Target is six points for the next two home games. Anything less would go against my Freudesque formula.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

One thing I mentioned after the game was that had we of had a certain Mr. Sills leading our line, with Eunan behind him, then we would look much more dangerous. Gritton struggled to win in the air (possibly down to being fouled, but sometimes he doesn't jump) and he sometimes lacks control to hold it up. SIlls had all these qualities - he would win 90% of things in the air, and hold it up well.

Still, what are the chances of him returning?!
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

I agree, Gritton doesnt look like a good target man, he spends way to much time appealing for petty free kicks, he probably just needs 1 goal, and a good performance, then he might hit form.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Well yesterday, I can say great support from Torquay, rubbish support from Stevenage with only 1 song! (I was singing it in my sleep!!) And a great point in the end of all that. I dont think we deserved to win but 100% did not deserve to lose. (Out of 7)

Bevan 6 1/2 - He was solid yesterday nothing was going pass him. His head is always cool and so calm in every way in his game. A few sloppy kicks here and there but luckily there was no danger.

Nico 5 - I thought he looked a bit slow yesterday. He got beat a lot and looked a little tired? As always his throws are threatening and we hardly had any corners to make a threat there. I think just a blip for Nico.

Branston 7 - Does he ever have a bad game? Again the pickler, pickled his way through, always strong, always calm, clears the ball well and he has a brilliant football brain. Always talking, a great leader of the defence. He is a great defender that we need.

Ellis 7 - Just the same as Guy, always switched on, clears the ball and always looks confident. I really loved yesterday where he made a mistake (let me finish) and he ran all the way back and got back to his position to start again. And what a shame about his injury. I dont know if it's bad but it looked bad!

Charnock (86min) 7 - Gave him a 7 as he done nothing wrong and is a great back up for Guy and Ellis.

Robbo 7 - Gave him a 7 as 100% solid and never did anything wrong as I can recall. Good by Robbo.

Zebroski 6 - He looked good at times but I think he has lost confidence. He looked like he has lost the confidence to run at people. I remember the reading game and when he ran at reading they didnt know what to do. At times he ran and we saw they looked concerned but he is still lost on that wing. He needs to be upfront and needs to have a shot. He is a skillfull player thats being played in the wrong position and it's a waste of a great player. He was a bit sloppy same as nico but needs to be upfront.

Mansell 5 1/2 - There was a big gap in the CM and it led to a lot of Stevenage's breaks. TBH in my opinion I never saw him in the game. Just a blip for Manse he'll be back.

Wroe 6 - I thought Wroey was a bit sloppy and careless at times but other than that he didnt have a bad game. Not much more I can say.

Stevens 6 - One of the best games I've seen Danny play a great response to his game last saturday. He got round players a lot of the time and his positioning was good. He got pushed off the ball a lot and I cant believe they werent fouls! A good peformance.

O'Kane 7 - Finally he got a start and he showed he should be in the starting 11 every game. He was class and he beat players like they werent even there! Brilliant! He is a must in the starting 11, and he should be played on the wing. He's got great pace, great skill and can cut in and have a shot also can cross a ball well. Great by O'Kane.

Gritton 5 - Not good by Gritton again. All I can say in a positive note, he was better in the air, but other than that not good. He cant hold the ball up and he has no pace. I have no idea why he is being played on his own where he has no pace. I think he should be droped and be a sub player.

Kee (78 mins) 5 1/2 - Didn't really have a impact needs a start. What he needs is a goal!

Benyon (89 mins) 5 1/2 - No Impact as Kee but good to see him back on the pitch. Needs to be rested untill he is fully fit.

This 4-5-1 formation does NOT work! It should 100% be:

Bevan

Robbo
Branston
Ellis
Nico

O'Kane
Wroe (c)
Manse
Carlisle

Zeb
Benners (But give Kee a go first)

This means Zeb is the one that is good in the air and has great pace and he is in his favourite position as a forward. It has O'Kane on the wing and as on yesterdays performance it would work really well. Wayno on the other wing as he has got a lot of Skill and much stronger than Danny but Danny is a great back up to the wingers. Gritt and Kee/Benners on the bench. Gritt would be a good sub for Zeb to come on 15 mins to the end and Benners can be a good swap for Kee and vice - versa. This should be the way we play and I hope Bucks will change it to this. 4-5-1 just doesn't work.

The Support by Torquay fans was brlliant, we were 10 times louder than them and all they had was 1 song and it was crap! Great support by us once again.

Stevenage only looked promising by our mistakes and the defence and Bev was solid. How Sills doesnt get into that team I will never know! If anything they need him! It was great walking out of the ground singing his name and applauding him. A real legend we want him back!

The Officials were rubbish again the ref was giving nothing for us again! - Crap!

We need 6 points fom these two Home games coming up and at last 1 from Shrewsbury (which I am going) I think if we play 4-4-2 we will definitely do that!

C'mon Utd!!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.