Torquay United vs Oxford United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Torquay United vs Oxford United

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Plainmoor
Monday 3rd January 2011
KO: 3pm

It's our first game at Plainmoor of 2011, aswell as being our first home game for over a month, but tomorrow we welcome Oxford United to Devon for what should be an interesting encounter. This is the first time that we will have played the two fixtures against a team so far this season, as we recorded a great 2-0 victory at the Kassam on that Tuesday night in November. I expect, with it being a bank holiday, that Oxford will bring a fair few down, as they always seem to have done. I hope that all the speculation about Paul Buckle staying or going doesn't effect the squad like Micky Adams leaving Port Vale has done (two consecutive defeats; 3-0 & 5-0) as that would be well and truly demoralising. It's a distraction we don't need, especially with a massive week for the club; tomorrows game followed by the potential money-spinning cup game against Carlisle. I am looking to change a couple of parts of these threads, but can't really think what, so any things that you'd want to see would be lovely. But for now..:

LAST 5 SEASONS.

2005/06 - League 2 - 23rd place - 49 points
2006/07 - Conference - 2nd place - 81 points - LOST IN PLAYOFFS
2007/08 - Conference - 9th place - 71 points
2008/09 - Conference - 7th place - 77 points
2009/10 - Conference - 3rd place - 86 points - PROMOTED VIA PLAYOFFS

As you can see, their exit from League 2 in 2006 was a massive shock for the Club. A final day defeat, losing 3-2 to Leyton Orient, coupled by our fantastic escape under Ian Atkins, saw the U's down. However, they were always the biggest club in the Conference. They were still getting gates of 5,000/6,000 in the non-league, which is exceptional. Their first season in the Conference saw them top of the league for the first third of the season, but then Dagenham came out of the shadows, eventually winning the league by a fair margin. Two seasons of closely following the playoff pack proceeded, until last season, when they held onto the top 5 position for alot of the season, eventually finishing 3rd, behind Stevenage and Luton. A win over York City at Wembley was the reward, after beating Rushden over the two-legged Semi final.

HEAD TO HEAD.

Oxford wins - 6
Torquay wins - 8 (5 in League)
Draws - 13 (12 in League)

We have a decent cup record against Oxford, having knocked them out whenever we've played them. But its a bit tighter in the League. Out of 22 league meetings, 12 have been draws, 6 Oxford wins and 5 Torquay. The two clubs have played alot since the turn of the millenium, but before that, the meetings were a bit rare, between the 1970's and 2000's. Some great games include a 3-3 draw at Plainmoor in 2005, that incredible 3-3 in the BSP in 2007, after we were 3-0 down at half time, beating them 3-2 in the return fixture at Plainmoor that season. I also remember the 3-0 victory over the U's in the 2003/04 promotion year - mainly for one Oxford fan before the game saying '3-0 TO OXFORD! TORQUAY ARE SH*T.' right to me outside, so it made it a little bit sweeter. Our win at the Kassam in November followed up after our last game there, again a 2-0 away win courtesy of a brace from Elliot Benyon.

FORM (LAST 6 GAMES).

LLWWWL

December proved to be a hit and miss month for Oxford, with the weather causing a lot of postponements, meaning that the U's only played 3 games. Their last 6 fixtures have seen defeats at Rotherham, and at home to Gillingham, giving the Gills their first away win for 18 months(!). 3 wins followed this up, at Chesterfield, then at home to Barnet and Macclesfield. A New Years Day home 2-0 reverse gave Southend 3 points to take home, yesterday.

PROBABLE LINE UP.

This is the side that lost 2-0 to Southend yesterday afternoon:

Ryan Clarke

Ben Purkiss
Harry Worley
Steven Kinniburgh
Ben Futcher

Josh Payne
Simon Heslop
Simon Clist

James Constable
Steve MacLean
Alfie Potter

Subs: Craddock, Wright, Hall, Tonkin, Batt, Eastwood, Green.

PLAYERS TO WATCH.

The ability to leave players like Tom Craddock out of the starting 11 shows to me that the strikers must be doing something right. Either that or he's returning from injury anyway. James Constable is well known, and will need to be watched. Steve MacLean has bags of experience, and could be a danger aerially. Josh Payne is a good midfielder, and he'll probably be at the heart of a couple of attacking moves tomorrow.

THE MEN IN CHARGE.

R EAST
M Mullarkey and A Rodda
Fourth Official C I Powell

Mr East is the man in the middle for this fixture. Down the lines is World Cup Final linesman Mike Mullarkey, and Andy Rodda. Mr East has been in charge at Plainmoor once already this season, when we lost 1-0 to Aldershot. He also refereed twice at Plainmoor last season, the 2-1 defeat to Bradford and the 2-1 win against Shrewsbury.

PREDICTION.

Hopefully our players are fit again now, but the speculation about PB could be a distraction.

Gulls 1-2 Oxford.
ChineseGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by ChineseGull »

NickGull wrote: I am looking to change a couple of parts of these threads, but can't really think what, so any things that you'd want to see would be lovely.
Great thread mate, the only thing I can think of that I'd like to see in addition is some Torquay team news/probable line up.

I'm looking forward to finally watching us play again, it's been too long. It's really important that we create a good atmosphere tomorrow, to get the players going, and persuade Bucks that this is where he belongs.

Torquay 3-1 Oxford
Oxford to take the lead, but a Nicky Wroe brace and one from Billy Kee to see us through!
BlueYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by BlueYellow »

Nick I think maybe you should do a couple of random facts about the club or place itself, aswell as maybe a couple of interesting statistics.

Im going for another 2-0 win against them. Brano in the 32nd minute aswell as a Zebroski goal on the counter in the 89th.

Croud-3246
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Only my second home match of the season, been looking forward to going this since our Rotherham postponement.

I don't think I've seen Torquay lose to Oxford when I've been down, so hoping for more of the same tomorrow.

3-1 Gulls, O kane, Benners x2

Crowd 3,103
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
robc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by robc »

Really looking forward to this game, living in Glasgow I rarely get to any games, only Stevenage away so far this season. I couldn't believe it when working it out the other day, but my last trip to Plainmoor was the cup win over Blackpool exactly 2 years ago, how their fortunes have changed eh... Anyway, I got 33/1 on Nicho to score first so I'm going for 2-1 with Nicho smashing in a freekick to open the scoring.
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

Finally get to go to a game! Haven't seen us since Accrington back in September!

Haven't seen the likes of Hemmings or Oastler play at all, really looking forward to it. Hopefully we can bounce back from the Hereford result.

2-1 Torquay
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Big plea to those who are starved of football, get to Plainmoor tomorrow, bring as many as you can aswell and sing up, 3 points are needed to keep the play off dream alive CMON UNITED!!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

Oxford play with a 4-3-3, worst time to have branno out! This will be a high scoring game I think, id expect the same line-up that started at hereford, apart from branno, where I would expect Robbo to start. Our central midfield 3 should be pretty useful when defending, but its their strikers im worried about. I think we will edge it.

Torquay 3-2 Oxford
Wroe'30 Craddock'12
Hemmings'50 Potter'90
Benyon'78

Cant wait for this game, feels like ages since our last game at home!
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

hi every1, happy new year to you all, right to the matter in hand,i know some of was disappointed with the result at hereford, but as we all know from last season teams scrap for every point, just like we did last season, anyway looking forward to this one, and yeah am expecting 3 points and hopefully a monster crowd lol,always good games against oxford,and tomorrow be no exception,will miss branno grrrrrrrrrrrrr,but even without him will b strong enough to control there front line,so looking forward to the 3 points people,enjoy if your going and make some noise............ simon :bow: :clap: :scarf: :ball1: :goal: :ball2:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

YellowMurphy wrote:Oxford play with a 4-3-3, worst time to have branno out! This will be a high scoring game I think, id expect the same line-up that started at hereford, apart from branno, where I would expect Robbo to start. Our central midfield 3 should be pretty useful when defending, but its their strikers im worried about. I think we will edge it.

Torquay 3-2 Oxford
Wroe'30 Craddock'12
Hemmings'50 Potter'90Benyon'78

Cant wait for this game, feels like ages since our last game at home!
Bloody hell Murph, I hope you're right, what I'd give for our substitute goalie to score an added time winner...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Quick update for those travelling, its pi**ing down and has been for a couple of hours now. Bring your waterproofs and dont expect a classic passing game on what will probably be a very soggy surface :scarf:
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

Is there any chance of the game being called off with all the snow that has been on it recently and its been raining for the last two days? I hope not!! :win:
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

Yellow I just been out walking my dog, and whilst out stodging around in what was already saturated ground the thought did pass my mind with the quantity of water coming down there is a possibility this game could get called off with a waterlogged pitch
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I would say whilst it has rained quite heavy over night that this games look's to be on,aving just read the O/S there is a story posted this morning about todays game being a yellow reunion.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Staying at my grandmas house in Newton at the minute, just stopped raining although lots of clouds around. Rained quite heavily in Exeter at 9am.

Hoping it's on, getting up at 5am and driving to Devon isn't easy for a 19 year old!!!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!