Hereford United vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Hereford United vs Torquay United

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Edgar Street
Saturday 1st January 2011
KO: 3pm

Due to the cold snap that has hit the country hard in recent weeks, we only managed one fixture in the whole of December, that 1-0 defeat to Chesterfield. Games against Burton, Rotherham, Bury & Cheltenham were all postponed for later dates. However, I think we are coming out of the other side of the freezing weather, so I'm hopeful that we don't lose anymore games for a while now. We dropped out of the playoffs, as Cheltenham leapfrogged us after beating Bradford 4-0 on Tuesday, while our game at Gigg Lane was cancelled. Hopefully this game will be on, and the players will be ready for it as it is a game that we will need to battle hard in, and do enough to take 3 points from. Hereford have had a poor first half of the season, and are bottom of the table. Their most recent game was on Boxing Day, when a late goal saw them lose 2-1 at Wycombe. Here is their forum, too:

http://unofficialbulls.proboards.com/in ... esc&page=2

LAST 5 SEASONS.

2005/06 - Conference - 2nd place - 80 points - PROMOTED VIA PLAYOFFS
2006/07 - League 2 - 16th place - 55 points
2007/08 - League 2 - 3rd place - 88 points - PROMOTED TO LEAGUE ONE
2008/09 - League 1 - 24th place - 34 points - RELEGATED TO LEAGUE TWO
2009/10 - League 2 - 16th place - 59 points

It's all been a bit up and down for Bulls' fans recently. Promotion to the Football League in 2006 saw a season of consolidation, before achieving another promotion as they snook 3rd place to seal a second promotion in 3 years. League One proved to be a hurdle to much for the club, and a bottom placed finish with 34 points saw the club return to League Two. Another bottom half finish followed, without ever a threat of relegation really.

HEAD TO HEAD.

Hereford wins - 16 (6 in cup competitions)
Torquay wins - 16 (5 in cup competitions)
Draws - 23 (2 in cup)

Both clubs have the same number of victories in this fixture, with both recording 16 wins in all competitions. 23 draws have been played out throughout the years between the two sides. The first meetings between the clubs were back in 1968/69, in the FA Cup, as we progressed after a 4-2 replay win at Plainmoor. The biggest win in this fixture is back in 1992/93, when we won a League Cup replay 5-0 at Plainmoor. More recently though, we have only met four times since 2000, in 2006/07 when we went down; Hereford drew 0-0 at Plainmoor on the final day to end our stint in the League. Our return last season saw us beat the Bulls on Boxing Day, but lost at Edgar Street in February.

FORM (LAST 6 GAMES).

DLLDLL

Hereford go into this home fixture without a win in their last 6 games. Admittedly, these 6 games do stretch back to 13th November, due to postponements. A draw at home to Cheltenham was followed up by defeats at Lincoln and local rivals Shrewsbury. A draw in the FA Cup at home to Lincoln was again followed up by two consecutive defeats, at Bradford and then Wycombe. Hereford have only played two games in December.

PROBABLE LINE-UP.

This is the line up that lost 2-1 at Wycombe on Boxing Day:

Adam Bartlett

Michael Townsend
Janos Kovacs
Joe Heath
Richard Rose

Rob Purdie
Nicky Featherstone
James McQuilkin
Stuart Fleetwood

Mathieu Manset
Guillem Bauza

Subs: Lund, Lunt, Canham, Colbeck, Stratford, Weer, Heister.

PLAYERS TO WATCH.

For me, the front two of Manset & Bauza are capable of causing any defence in this league problems, so they'll need to be marked tightly so they can't impact the game. Stuart Fleetwood is also fairly decent, as we know from the BSP and Forest Green. However, I don't think his impact has been anywhere near as good in the league, but his pace will still be a big threat.

THE MEN IN CHARGE

S J RUSHTON
W Barratt and N Hobbis
Fourth Official: A J Horton

Steve Rushton is the man in the middle for this game. He has been in charge of 16 games this season, and has given out 54 yellow cards, and 3 reds. Rushton only recently made the move up to the football league, after two years in the Conference. In his time, he refereed 3 games for us in our play-off year success; a 2-0 home win over Eastbourne, a 3-2 win at Northwich, and the 1-0 playoff 2nd leg defeat at Histon. I don't recall any dodgy decisions in either of those games that I saw. He also refereed our 2-0 defeat at Bradford last August.

PREDICTION

If we want to keep where we are, then this is the sort of game we need points from. Hereford are off form, but their players could be sharper than ours as we haven't played for 3 weeks.

For that reason, I can see it being a draw, unfortunately. 1-1.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I'm hoping to have recovered in time from the hangover to listen to the game on Radio Devon. (D)

I'm also hoping that our players will be stone cold sober, eager and raring to rip Hereford to shreds. :clap:

We have really got to go for this one so I'm expecting an attacking 4-4-2 formation. Puffing Billy is looking quicker so hope he starts up front with Benyon. There could be a change at right back with Mansell returning to midfield. Hopefully, Hemmings returns on the left with Zebroski on the right. If Mansell remains at right back then pick any from Lathorpe, Oastler, O'Kane, to partner Wroe. If Robertson comes in for Mansell at right back, then Mansell to partner Wroe.

3-0

Billy, Elliot, Zebroski.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I'm looking forward to this one as I actually get to go. So I shall be hangover free and confident of a result.
However lack of match play is a concern so I don't want to get over confident, perhaps 1-0 or 2-1 to us.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Find myself wanting to urge supporters not to go to this one, never thought I'd hear myself say that!

Truth is we need all available cash going through the gates at Plainmoor, but as we are all probably starved of TQY action at the mo i won't bang on about it.
vinny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jordan Chappel

Post by vinny »

????? - im going 2moz, but doesnt mean i wont go on Monday
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

They've only scored 7 at home in 9 games and haven't yet won a game. With our good defence and away record, it should be a win. Shouldn't it?!
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Their only home win was V Hyde in the fa cup- this really ships be 3 points given our good record away from home(which we seem to do better)

2-0 benyon, Wroe.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Dave_Pougher wrote:Find myself wanting to urge supporters not to go to this one, never thought I'd hear myself say that!

Truth is we need all available cash going through the gates at Plainmoor, but as we are all probably starved of TQY action at the mo i won't bang on about it.

go to both! :win: i know i am, cant take much more of this!

looking forward to Monday more though!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

Myself and the 'tache are hopefully going, although he's gone to Thieverpool for the night so I've arranged to pick him up. Bloody long way from Donny, but as the Bury match was PP and all Wednesdays home games were called off we haven't been to a game yet during the hols. May be bringing a couple of mates as well waiting for them to get back to me.
Hope to see you all tomorrow :scarf:

PS Whats it like to have a hangover? I dont suffer from them, I'm just a bit lethargic after a few drinks (although people I know say they cant tell the difference!!) and this does tend to hack people off somewhat :mrgreen:
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

EmetEdadsBeard wrote:Whats it like to have a hangover?
The last one I had was atrocious, I deserved a lot more sympathy than I got. Which was none :S
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

No NYE party for me tonight :( = Football tomorrow! :)

Really hoping we can win this. Lack of games or no, their home record speaks for itself and we CANNOT let ourselves be the first to lose there this season.

I'm quite surprised they are struggling so much, as some of the names in that squad are real quality (Fleetwood, Bauza, Townsend, Bartlett). Want to see Hemmings back on the wing as Stevens was poor IMO last time out at Chesterfield, torn between O'Kane or Kee to start.

Will be crossing everything for a 2-1 win, Wroe and Kee with a late winner...........
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Can't wait for this now! Football is back...

It's away, so I'm pretty confident we'll get something. Hopefully the massive break hasn't affected us too much and we aren't overly rusty.

Please, please come back with three points!
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Looking at their home league results, they havnt lost since Stevenage in September (with draws against Vale, Cheltenham and Aldershot amongst others). It isnt going to be as easy as people think today (regardless of the fact that they're bottom of the table) so im expecting a somewhat dour draw :(
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

It's been a long while, here's the line up!

Gulls: 1 Scott Bevan
3 Kevin Nicholson
4 Mark Ellis
7 Lee Mansell (capt)
9 Elliot Benyon
10 Eunan O'Kane
11 Nicky Wroe
18 Joe Oastler
23 Guy Branston
26 Chris Zebroski
27 Ashley Hemmings

Substitutes: 2 Lathaniel Rowe-Turner, 5 Chris Robertson, 8 Billy Kee, 16 Danny Potter (gk), 19 Danny Stevens, 20 Martin Gritton, 22 Damon Lathrope.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

league position and new years optimism nudge me into a 0-2 tq win
still keeping the faith