Hereford United vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

A draw was fair result. It was a typical bottom of the 4th division match with countless unforced errors, both sets of players being guilty. The difference between the teams was the skill levels Torquay had in comparison to their hapless hosts.

The conditions, especially in the 2nd half were poor on an already heavy pitch, swirling rain and bloody cold.

In my opinion, especially against weaker teams, Guy tries to do too much himself, he was at times a full back, a central defender and a sweeper and struggled to cope, especially in the second half. He is too "gun ho" in his attitude, altough I admire his commitment.

Euane O'Kane was a class above everyone else, from my unusually elevated position in the seats you could see his off the ball running, his constant making space, which , with a Torquay team we are used to, would have torn apart Hereford......but this was not the team we normally see, unsurprisingly they were not match fit, lacked a little hunger and looked like they had not played together for a month.

A draw is not too bad in the circumstances
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I'd prepared both headlines Bullocks and Bull-dozed, dunno what to do for the draw. It's something to Bull over that's for sure.....

Left the ground feeling disappointed, disappointed because if we'd kept the standards up from the first half an hour I feel we'd have blitzed them 3 or 4-0. But not for the first time this season we ended up dropping points to one of the strugglers in the league and in this case, i believe one of the teams that unless they can make major additions that will be in the Blue Square Premier next season.

Very happy with the selection, same as Wycombe where we put on our best display of the season, we started this game brightly on the front foot without creating an awful lot. We put together a couple of nice moves down the right but our final ball was lacking, main culprit Zebroski. He'd do well to get the half a yard but the cross either hit the first man or went out of play. O'Kane too put in two poor efforts within a couple of minutes of each other. Then the goal, down our right lovely little combination, ball into O'Kane in and around the penalty spot, delightful little turn which wrong footed the defender and he smashed it home left footed into the roof of the net. Terrific goal.

Ashley Hemmings then found himself on the right hand side of the pitch he beat their left back, unleashed the shot from 25 yards off the bar and out ofr a goal kick, excellent effort. I like Hemmings, he and Zebroski typically for wingers drift in and out of games a bit too much but he's got talent and pace. Reminds me a bit of Carayol, he's a bit raw still but he'll get there.

We then got sucker punched, just a hopeful long boot forward, Ellis can't head it, running back towards our goal, Bevs comes out to dive on it, the next thing i see is Fleetwood roll it into the net. Utterly avoidable and crap goal to conceed. Hereford tails up forced a succesion of corners which we dealt with in the main, until a nice move put Manset in and Bevs did well to close him down and make the save.

Just as it seems it's going to be 1-1 at Half time we score a quite unbelivable goal. Ball in from the left Hemmings surrounded by defenders gets a shot away that is well blocked by the defender, falls to Benyon who is almost square on to the goal, lines up a shot (at this point I ma about to launch into the biggest tirade of the season for him attempting a shot from this nonsense angle while we have guys spare in the middle of the box) and he absolutely balsts it hard and high in off the near post and it zips across the net to the other side. Incredible finish and 2-1 happy days at half time.

Second half starts. there's only one team in it...sadly it was Hereford. They passed it a bit better and they got it wide, Maset caused our centre halves nightmares. He totally dominated both Ellis and in particular Branston. I've never seen them bossed like that before and this guy did it on his own. Excellent in the air, pace, power, and suprisingly excellent feet. He fashioned a chance by similar to O Kane, a little trick and turn wrong footing Branston, but he was all left foot and tried to run passed the ball and place it left footed but he put it wide.

Then we give away a needless free kick on the left, it's looped into the box, Bevan surrounded by players tries to catch when he'd have been better of punchng it, it looks like he's got it, but it pops out of his hands to Manset who backheels it back towards goal from about the penalty spot, past Bevan and somehow disects the two defenders back on the line, 2-2. Again utterly avoidable goal.

Tails up Hereford pressed for the winner, a long shot was uncomfortably saved by Bevan and cleared by Nicho for a corner, then Bevs produced a wonderful double save, a shot was saved to his right, fell to Manset with Bev on the floor, he struck it well but Bev somehow blocked it behind.

Bucks rang the changes, Stevens on for O Kane, Branston got injured and was replaced by Robertson.

We started to play again then, Hereford feeling their chance to win had perhaps gone sat deeper and deeper as we forced a few chances. A curling shot hit the bar/post, we put the ball in the box a lot but no real chances.

Benyon broke clear of the defender and got hauled down, nothing. I honestly couldn't tell from where we were if it was in the box but it looked a cast iron foul. Kee came on for Hemmings last 5-10 mins and he got on the end of another nice move but hit the shot straight at the keeper. It was our last chance really. We had a few corners/long throws but nothing really came of it.

On the balance of play a draw was fair. Hereford had the better chances, we played the better football but we never killed the game off when we got in front. If we could have gone 2-0 or 3-1 it would have been all over for them. In Manset they have a guy that is a major handful I would LOVE to see him down here partnering Benyon. If we lose Benyon we could do lots worse than bringing that bloke in.

We were good in patches but often resulted into chcuking it long towards their giant centre halves which was always destined to fail. We almost seemed to panic a bit which we never did at Wycombe. We went behind their to the first time they crossed our half but we kept passing kept doing the right thing and got rewarded. Yes the pitch was slightly more difficult and sticky yesterday but we showed we could do it, because on the few occasions we did, we either scored or created a chance.

One of those games where it's not the end of the world that we didn't win buta genuine top 7 contender you feel would see that game through. But still definite signs we are going the right way.

Ratigns (out of 10)

Bevan 5 - you can't overlook 2 errors 2 goals but he did make a top drawer double save to keep at least a point.

Mansell 7 - best of the defenders. Linked up with Zebroski well and I thought he did his job well at full back.

Nicholson 6 - the worst I can ever remember seeing Nicho's delivery. Until the last 5minutes when he put in two belters, his free kciks constantly hit the first man. Defensively absolutely fine.

Branston 5 - Worst game I've ever seen from Branno. Manset completely dominated him from the start till the moment he went off. Robertson coped better when he came on.

Ellis 5 - Same as Branston really, he made some good blocks and headers but was second best to Manset. Half culpable for the 1st goal as well.

Zebroski 6 - flashes of excellence, flashes of mediocrity. But the effort was there and he was an outlet more often than not. Just a bit too inconsistant with the final ball.

Hemmings 6 - Same as Zebroski, the shot that hit the bar was brilliant.

Wroe 7 - Gave the ball away a bit but on the whole was a calming influence and got forward when possible. Our central midfield was head and shoulders baove theirs.

Oastler 7 - similar to Wroe his passing was good, his defensive work was very good including one sensational black challenge from a HEreford break away when our defense was caught napping.

O Kane 7- Lovely finish for the goal, glimpses of his quality but tired and was rightly taken off for Stevens.

Benyon 7 MOTM - thankless task on his won against the land of the giants but his hold up play was second to none, he linked play really well and scored a stunning goal for 2-1. MOTM for that slightly in front of Wroe and Oastler.

Subs

Stevens 7 - almost changed the game when he came on. Got on the ball tried beat the full back and linked up with Kee and Beyon for Kee's chance which he should have scored.

Robertson 7 - got a thankless task of having to come on and mark Manset but I thought we looked a lot mroe solid once he was on. Won his headers and did well.

Kee 6- had the chance to win the game but sadly hit it at the keeper.
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

It was our first view of the season yesterday and we were fairly impressed. On balance of play and chances created they should have been put to bed by half time, thought the Gulls played some very tidy stuff with maybe the final ball lacking. Their left back had a 'mare as Zeb seemed to be able to pass him at will, well backed up by Mansell on the right. Cracking finish by O'Kane, and Benyon REALLY should have crossed that ball, I was right behind him and he had nowt to aim at but came up with a stunning shot. Showed fantastic confidence to take it on. If the shot by Hemmings had dipped under the bar it would have been game over.
Second half was completely different as they came out more fired up (they are scrapping for their league status afterall) and I think Torquay sat and defended too deep, inviting them forward.So a draw was about the right result as they had much the better of the second half.

Biggest disappointment of the day was not one chant of 'Bullshit, Bullshit'. It was my first ever visit to Edgar St and I was convinced it would be a standard chant by ALL visiting supporters! :red: :mrgreen:
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Just fired up Gullplayer for the first time in weeks

What a goal by O'Kane - great feet, great shot - We could use a couple of those tomorrow to get us going and forget all the 'bucklemongering' in which we are currently indulged.
That said - Hargreaves could work well - he has all the passion and experience to lead a team at this level and respect of players and supporters alike. (No clues on his blog....)

COYY
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Wisconsin_gull wrote:Just fired up Gullplayer for the first time in weeks. What a goal by O'Kane - great feet, great shot - We could use a couple of those tomorrow to get us going and forget all the 'bucklemongering' in which we are currently indulged. That said - Hargreaves could work well - he has all the passion and experience to lead a team at this level and respect of players and supporters alike. (No clues on his blog....) COYY
You are joking right? You really want someone with no coaching or managing experience in the real world, to come in and make sure we stay safely above midtable? I would think the board had lost their (collective) mind if that happened...