Torquay United vs Cheltenham Town

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Jeff you took the word right out of my mouth,a big "PHEW" from me as well.

My nerve's were jangerling at 1.0,southampton gull told me to calm down a few times,did calm down at 2.0,then once again a real soft one hit the back of our net,to make the last 6 minutes or so a hell of a lot thougher than it should of been.

Did not think that was our best performance.and luckly it did not have to be ,the team are startng to win ugly and that's just fine,three points and happy,happy days.

An automatic promotion spot is there,its sat there waiting for us,the club,team,and fans have want it,so come what ever game/games you can get ,go, get behind your team,onwards and upwards :scarf:
Formerly known as forevertufc
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Excellent header by Branno, to light up a dull first half. Robinson looked very sharp, could have had 4/5 but the goalie denied him. First time I've seen Murray & Tomlin - dead impressed by Murray, you can tell he was from a higher level and I expect him to go far, to be honest. Excellent mobility, can hold the ball, skilful, and a good finish tonight. Simple one, but he did it perfectly.

Disappointing to concede, and it shouldn't have even happened as every goalie should know to get his body behind the ball, but I'll take this as one of very few blunders over the past few years that Bevs has been here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

trust my internet to pack up with ten mins of the game left! :@

sounded quite tricky near the end!

ah well, onwards and upwards!!!!

COYY!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

1) why the anger at Jake thompson, okay his parent club is exeter, but no need to start the c*nt chant at him!, did well to start with as well with us

2) the branno chants - :zzz: :zzz:
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Ludlow Gulled
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Ludlow Gulled »

Great win tonight. Not getting too carried away though. We're doing all we can but a comparatively tough run in makes it perhaps more likely for other teams to overtake us. MOTM posts suggest Lathrope had a good game which is encouraging. He'll certainly need to come through if we're gonna be without Stanley, who's been quality, for the last game - and beyond. Our best bet is all out for automatic promo, I'd say. Don't fancy Accy in the play-offs! Anyways up, regardless of what happens from here, it's been a belting second half of the season.

Bucks seemed in confident, and even bombastic mood in post-match interview but is he covering-up concerns? He was pretty open about losing Stanley at the last hurdle. He also confirmed that Pringle has gone back to Derby (not sure how concerned I am about this) and that Tomlinson is going back to Daggers after they only drew tonight (more concerned about this). Leaves us a bit thin up top and with emergency loan period soon to close, Bucks did sound pretty urgent to bring in a striker (but not midfielder). Not sure how long we've got Murray for but I know he's not at cobblers on Friday (International duty) - step up Billy Kee!

Knife edge time. Will we make it?
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Solid performance rather than spectacular I would say. The first 20 minutes were quite worrying. The midfield was struggling to get anywhere near the ball with Cheltenham looking like they were going to overpower us. As luck would have it, their final ball was shoddy most of the match. I thought our defence were excellent tonight and Branners notched his 2nd in 2 games. Whats that all about? :)

We gradually started to get on top and apart from their keeper making a couple of quality saves, it could have been Shrewsbury all over again. Quieter 1st half but then all over them in the 2nd. There really only looked like one team was going to win once we scored. Zebs was his traditional self, covering every blade of grass and chasing down pretty much everything. Tomlin wasnt quite as good as the last couple of games. Far too many attempted backheels etc when the opposition were too close although he wasnt the only one. Save that stuff for when we're 4 up please...Murray had been fairly anonymous in the first half but showed some class in the latter stages. Well taken finish for the 2nd goal. Robinson was a threat every time he got possession. Didnt see much of their goal but looked like Bevs couldnt hold it and it spun off him over the line.
Cheltenham had pretty much resorted to hoofing the long ball with about 30 minutes to go. Green looked ineffective as did Thomson when he came on.

Stand out performers for me tonight were the back 4. They did have to withstand a bit of pressure but coped admirably. Branners and CR won pretty much everything thrown at them and Manse and Nico looked to break forward whenever they could. Damon Lathrope also made some pretty important clearances from the box and, on tonights showing, has what it takes to make it. There was some outstanding interplay at times going forward and we were well worth the 3 points.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Losing Tomlinson is a bit rubbish, and having Murray off on Int. Duty is just as bad. Anyone up front rather than Billy, can someone from the Popside please tell me why he gets so much adoration - he is fat and crap.

Billy Bashing aside, tough win today, well chuffed, Murray ran his socks off second half, Buckle obviously gave a good pep talk, Zebroski was on good form as was Robinson and some of our crosses today were sublime. Thought Bevs could have done better with the goal as he did get his hands on it, that said, he looked injured to me...
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Can i just clear something up here once and for all...his ...name ...is...Gavin....Tomlin.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

forevertufc wrote:Can i just clear something up here once and for all...his ...name ...is...Gavin....Tomlin.
Erm, thought you said you had to be at work. :red:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

forevertufc wrote:Can i just clear something up here once and for all...his ...name ...is...Gavin....Tomlin.
You're not wrong, oops
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Well, that wasn't very good, but it was terribly easy.

I have seen 180 minutes of Cheltenham this season and in all that time they have put together about 30 seconds of actual football and 179.5 minutes of aimless hacking at the ball. Look distinctly Conference to me and quite how they are where they are baffles me.

Game started slowly, with neither side really looking as if they wanted possession or that there might be a fine for any player found taking more than two touches or playing a pass of less than 30 yards. We had the ball in the net through Robbo (who, in fairness, was probably taking a big ol' ride on his man), but it was rules out. This seemed to be the call for us to wake up and play proper football, rather than trying to beat Cheltenham at their own, pretty hopeless game. A succession of corners ended with Stanners taking one from the right and Branstonbauer, who had the freedom of the 18 yard box, running in to head a wonderful goal powerfully into the net.

They continued to do nothing, we continued to not quite find a way through. Half time arrived and we were good value for a 1-0 lead.

Second half started the same as the first, with TUFC obviously under orders to keep them at bay for the first 10 minutes or so. From the hour mark onwards, we began to push harder and harder for the second goal. Every little bit of luck was going the way of the visitors. Every time they got a toe to an interception, the ball was sticking. They always had a bloke in just the right place to pick up a rebound, awful throws and kicks were finding their way to red and white shirts. With out being obvious, these little things were the difference between 1-0 and 5-0 TUFC. Eventually, their luck broke, a neat ball from the right by Eunan bobbled past the Chelts defender and landed at the feet of Ruby Murray who calmly passed the ball into the net.

There was absolutely no danger of them scoring until the referee awarded them a free kick 27/28 yards out and their guy duly stepped up and smashed the free kick low and hard to Bev's left. The big ginger idiot got across comfortably if at a stretch and got two good hands on the ball, but somehow contrived to let it passed him and into the net. Cue a nervy last 5 minutes.

In truth, the scoreline flatters Cheltenham without TUFC playing particularly well. An entertaining match despite not being up to the standards seen against Shrewsbury.

the only notable performance was Bevan, who looked upset (notably, clapping sarcastically to the Popside following some cheers for a decent kick) and out of sorts. Even for him, his kicking was terrible and his confidence looks shot. I haven't a clue what is going on in his life to make him play the way he is, but following Danny Potter's recent antics, I have gone from feeling we had the strongest overall goalkeeping pair, to having one of the weakest. Worrying times at the back.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Their goal looked to take a deflection putting terrible spin on the ball, I'll be interested to see footage of it before I blame Bevan, who despite what Matt says did ok, a million times more assuring than Potter. Nothing wrong with his kicking, ignore Matt who couldn't kick his neighbours snoring cat ;-)

I never felt the three points were in doubt, despite Forever having palpitations every time we lost the ball.

Overall a battling performance that got us three points and that, not the performance is what it's about now we're at the business end of the season.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Trojan 67 wrote: Erm, thought you said you had to be at work. :red:
I did thats the beauty of living 5 minutes away from where i work :-D ,i dont know about the rest of you guy's,but i felt great all night,and i am still feeling great :clap: :scarf:
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

http://www.ctfc.com/page/LatestNews/0,, ... 07,00.html

Cheltenham managers view of the game...
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

AlexGulls wrote:http://www.ctfc.com/page/LatestNews/0,, ... 07,00.html

Cheltenham managers view of the game...
Was he at a different game? "We had several chances in the first half", did they......???? From what I remember the only shot at target was their goal?