Torquay United vs Rotherham United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I have severe neckache from watching that. Rotherham were one of the better teams to come to Plainmoor, in my opinion. Pass and move, never really hoofed it. One move in particular was excellent.

Ref did alright, probably was a penalty, on reflection.

3 points from 12, the performances aren't there. Absolutely flipping useless, tonight.

If I didn't have a season ticket there is no way I'd be going there on Saturday, after that.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Thought that was a good point won in the end,as Rotherham on that performance are clearly a very good side,passed the ball well and allways looked the betetr footballing side,which is a shame for me say,as we have good footballers of our own,so why were they hoofing it up some much?

As said rotherham are agood side no doubt,more than frustrating that the game was not won down to yet another error at the back,even more so as that was abit schoolboy,"never let the ball bounce in and around your penalty box"

We have dropped a lot of points when comfortable and against sides that i would expect our team to close the game out,however tonight we never looked comfortable,Rotherham looked dangerous from the start,frustrated yes,upset overall no.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Rare home game for me - and a highly frustrating one at that. A satisfying first 45 was followed by a terribly negative second half. We left with a point but deserved to lose and could have only blamed ourselves as we were hanging on at the end and never looked like scoring after the break. I defended Buckle for his tactics at Accy, but today he should be blamed for the two dropped points. There is absolutely no way he can say we tried to win that game in the second half.

O'Kane took his goal well in a first half which I thought we shaded, but it quickly went downhill after the break. I was in the Family Stand so couldn't clearly see the decision for the penalty, but if it was a spot-kick, then Robertson was fortunate not to be sent off. However, he soon made a huge blunder for Rotherham's inevitable equaliser. He was excellent on Saturday, but had an absolute mare tonight. The final half-hour was so depressing. Rotherham, who had already rattled the woodwork in the first half, struck the post late on and should have punished us. We offered nothing going forward, poor Zebs was completely stranded on his own up top, but he put in one heck of a shift. Kee was on the right in the second half and Robinson on the left, but both drifted in and out and didn't offer much support. That said, we replaced our passing game with hoofball, which took most players out of the match. O'Kane barely touched the ball second half. Presumably that's why Buckle replaced him with Lathrope. There's no point of O'Kane being on the field if all the action is above his head. Macklin coming on was pointless. And why is Nico no longer taking most set-pieces, or even long throws? And while I'm discussing set-pieces, why is every free-kick and corner aimed at Branston's head? Just doesn't work for me.

No chance we'll make the play-offs on this evidence, we were scared to have a go and it felt very much like watching an away game. I'm not disappointed that we haven't won. I'm disappointed that we surrended possession so easily in the second half and played so negatively. We just never looked like we'd score after the equaliser. Attendances will dip below 1,500 if we carry on like that.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Absolutely bloody useless!

It's not often that a team is the equal of another for the first 45 minutes, then a total of half the second half and is a bit lucky not to get beaten 4-1.

First half was fairly even, we played some nice football, they played some very nice football. The few longer balls they did try sailed harmlessly out of play, but when they worked it in little triangles out wide, they looked very threatening. They could have scored after 30 seconds, only a good last ditch interception from Pickles prevented Le Fondre from rolling one in.

Anyway, it's the negative I want to focus on here, the result was a decent one, even a point against RUFC is decent.

We came out for the second half 1-0 up and it all went downhill from there. We did our usual, decided it might be a better spectacle if the opposition had more of the ball and got back on terms. So, we played football for about 3 minutes, then set up camp on the 18 yard line and stayed there. **** ing Branston, all night long, all he did was smash the ball as long as he could, usually halfway down the Babbacombe road. There are times when I am happy for him to just get a foot or a head in and get rid, but when he has the freedom of Torbay and a thousand lifetimes to pick out a yellow shirt, booming it out for a throw-in to the oppo is not acceptable. If that's all it takes to play in L2, I'm applying for a job, and I'll do it for half his salary.
They then went on to have the ball for ages without interruption. We defended the 18 yard line as if to dare venture any further forward might induce vomiting and nosebleeds. Aimlessly hacked balls forward got nowhere near our deeply ineffective Billy Kee shaped outlet. It took seven or eight minutes, but the inevitable did come in the shape of a penalty to RUFC. I didn't have a clear view of what happened, but the guy took a tumble and there were no real complaints from Potter or anyone else in attendance. A long chat between (possibly Manse) and Potter ensued and I was confident of a save. It duly came from a powerfully struck penalty which was far too close to the keeper.
This was just the wakeup call we needed and herein followed the most dominant 10 minutes of football I have ever seen from any team in the history of the game. We got the ball down into the corner in front of the Pop side and there the ball stayed for the duration. They didn't have a controlled touch for the entire time and we played it about like Barcelona at times. They couldn't get near our players, let alone the ball.
Then the wheels fell off.
Suddenly, they were back at us again and we were defending even deeper than before. We simply conceded the midfield and were playing a 9-0-1 system. Long balls forward were cleared but came straight back. Long balls forward were missed by Rotherham and the referee gave them free kick after free kick. Finally a long ball forward was allowed to bounce not once but twice and their striker duly slashed it into the bottom corner of the net. 1-1 and there really was only one winner.

We didn't learn our lesson and continued in the same vein as before the goal. They attacked and we attempted to defend. Soon enough they were clean through and somehow the striker managed to hit the post with just Potter to beat from about 6 yards, ball rolled along the line and was hacked out for a corner.

Anyway, the long and the short of it is that we simply do not have any composure when in the lead. We get nervous and we throw away matches because we forget to play football and try to defend for 45 minutes. It's not PB's fault, I have seen maybe 10 managers in my time at Plainmoor and every single one of them has made the players react like this to being in the lead.

What is PBs fault is Lloyd **** ing Macklin. Why don't you do the reputation of Torquay United a favour and just **** off somewhere else.

Billy Kee was absolutely anonymous first half, came into it more second half and had two utterly atrocious shots which were almost good balls to the left winger.
Danny Potter did precisely what he had to do, kicking top notch, good penalty save and sod all he could do about the goal, may have been at fault for the concession of the penner, but not all on his own.
Our two outstanding performers were Craig Stanley and Chris Zebroski. Zedders his busy best, chasing everything, winning tackles, skinning his man (or three) at will. Stanley played some excellent balls, controlled the midfield in the absence of Mansell, generally played the Quarterback role, dictating the flow of the play.
Not far behind these two were Robinson who caused his man no end of troubles and Eunan O' Kane who scored our goal with a deeply composed finish and also played some nice football in the middle of the park.
Everyone else was sort of ok, with the exception of Branston who annoyed the shit out of me all night, Robertson who didn't look comfortable all night and **** ing Macklin when he came on, he had possession 6 times and conceded possession 6 times.

Kudos to RUFC, they are an excellent side, big and strong and quick and clever, they really need to go up to spare this division of their presence. Good luck to them for the rest of the season, from my experience, they are considerably more deserving of their place in L1 than Chesterfield (bottlers) Shrewsbury or Wycombe (took them to pieces for 45 minutes at their place).

Right, rant over, aside from to say, congratulations to Real Northampton who managed to **** it up again against yet another side about which they have spent all week being deeply disparaging. ****.

Matt.
Last edited by ferrarilover on 02 Mar 2011, 02:13, edited 2 times in total.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Sounds like a pretty bad night then.

I want to believe that we can still make the playoffs, and perhaps it is testament to the low quality of teams around us that despite some pretty average form we are still well in with a shout (on paper anyway).

Anyways, I've been harping on about how good we were at Wycombe in November blahh blah blah, but I think I've come to terms with the fact that that was the high point of our season. Lets face it, we've not had a sustained high level of performance since then. Every game I've seen since has certainly been fragmented and far less composed.

Whats the most frustrating is that we aren't out of the running yet. Part of me wishes we were mired 3 or 4 places further down the table so we were not dreaming of making the playoffs. Because at the moment we are going to keep dreaming of "a couple of wins here and we're right there" and ultimately be let down.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

NickGull wrote:I have severe neckache from watching that. Rotherham were one of the better teams to come to Plainmoor, in my opinion. Pass and move, never really hoofed it. One move in particular was excellent.

Ref did alright, probably was a penalty, on reflection.

3 points from 12, the performances aren't there. Absolutely flipping useless, tonight.

If I didn't have a season ticket there is no way I'd be going there on Saturday, after that.

are you having a laugh!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

As you can tell from my screen name I don't too much. Very rare for me that tonight I couldn't even listen

It's a real shame that a point at home against a key promotion contender is seen as such a negative. I think it shows how far we have come but also i think we would have a different reaction if we had picked up the 6 points we should have done in the last two or probably even 9 from three. We should have been in pole position for a play off spot going into tonight - now we are outsiders.

Am at the game on Saturday and excited to be there - normally see a positive result so hope it continues.

Thanks to all the reports.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Exile,
no-one is (at least, no one should be) disappointed at the point. We are disappointed with the abysmal manner in which we capitulated and allowed them to score their goal and that we had to rely on a big chunk of luck to avoid a pretty heavy defeat.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

I'm not normally one to focus on an individual for a poor performance but Billy Kee today was useless. Won't dwell on it too much but he really was dire, two shots, both lame, and very little else. - How long until Buckle sees that he's not Benyon and give Yeoman a go?
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Same old.

Lively first half.

Second half they get stronger and we get pushed back. Then the attacking players are withdrawn one by one and lo and behold we are hanging on.

The notable highlight for me was the performance of Danny Potter. Southampton Gull had no where to turn as he was surrounded by the Torquay Fans.com mafia and roundly jostled. :rofl:

Shocking decision by Robertson to let the ball bounce. :@

I'd have settled for a point before the game, but still seems like two points lost. :(
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Funny game. Not the best 90mins in terms of quality (when is it is suppose?!) but an engaging game where you see the best and the worst of us against what was a very good League 2 side. I agree with Buckle, Rotherham will win promotion this season.

First half, Zebroski set the tone for us, he chased, he harried he beat people and looked a major threat. He didn't give up on a ball down the left hand side, stood a ball towards the back post, it was salvaged on the line by their defender but straight to Eunan, who made a tricky volley look easy as he calmly rolled it into the net 1-0. Billy Kee had the chance to make it 2 but Warrington stood up well and saved his shot. At the other end Potts did well to help a shot onto the bar but on the whole we were pretty comfortable. 1-0 at half time all going to plan.

Rotherham clearly with a rocket were always going to have a major go 2nd half. Nothing to lose then and they are up near the top of the league for a reason. Yes it was frustrating watching us defend for 45minutes pretty much, but it was mainly down to the opposition. They didn't waste posession, they didn't panic, even after Potts had made a superb save from the penalty, and ultimately got their rewards with the deserved equaliser. Annoying because Rotherham put a few good moves together which we survived, we were undone by a thoroughly avoidable long ball which Robbo allowed to bounce, Taylor bullied him off the loose ball and fired the shot passed Potter into the corner. After Cheltenhamgate it's a bit disappointing that a straight long ball has done us again.

Didn't mind the subs personally, with the system we were playing we needed Zebs height,presence and work rate down the middle so with the other 2 out wide, I felt the changes were justified. Best playing natural wingers in those positions than strikers.

There needs to be some perspective at times, 2 years ago we were non league, 1 year ago at this time of the season we were at the wrong end of the table with the possibility of going down, this year we're 9th/10th 4 points off the playoffs with 2 games in hand, having just drawn with a team that will in all likelihood be in League 1 next year.

Were we at our best? No but we've had a gruelling schedule recently with some late heartbreak so confidence I don't imagine is going to be sky high. We got deeper and deeper which is a sign of a bit of fragile confidence, I'm as disappointed as anyone that we couldn't quite see it out but I don't bgrudge Rotherham their point, they deserved it.

We aren't that far away from being a team that can possibly make 7th place and again reading Bucks interview, reading between the lines he wants a couple new faces. He can sense it too, fingers x'd we could do that. a right back and a centre forward and we could maybe do it. But if not just enjoy the ride, it's a hell of a lot better than looking over our shoulder wondering how Grimsby had got on isn't it??!

Keep the faith.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Whilst there are some good insightful posts on here, there's some dross as well. Are there really only a couple of people that are willing to give Rotherham credit for playing well and pretty much totally owning the midfield in the 2nd half? When they're getting to pretty much every ball before Kee, Robinson or any of the midfielders can get it under control, we're always going to be pressed back.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

I am inclined to agree with the posts from Fletch and especially RoyalGull above. Both reflect my feelings entirely.

Rotherham are indeed a good side and when you look at our bench last night, we're not exactly awash with game changers are we!?

We are operating on a budget and Paul Buckle is doing a very good job on the resources we have. Yes we'd all like to be a few more places up the league, but come on. A bit of perspective please.

Bucks has improved year on year and how nice does it feel to be talking about a playoff challenge than a depressing relegation battle. The fact we are even there at all with the young squad we have is a minor miracle!

The most dissappointing thing for me last night was hearing the 'ultras' sing "you don't know what you're doing" at Buckle. How ridiculous! Support the team!!!! I swear some supporters have tiny brains and don't see the bigger picture....... 1-1, under the cosh, in desperate need of a change, who do you think he was going to bring on? Fernando Torres? Drogba? With the personel we have, he made the changes he thought he needed to make. Yes they were negative, but we're not Barcelona. We were lucky to be 1-1 at that stage.

Anyway, rant over.

I was personally pleased we escaped with a point last night. We move on.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Oh, nearly forgot.

Potter was top banana last night. Single handedly won us that point!! :bow:

Take a bow that man. :clap:
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

uLOLtras.

Followed by a genius '442' chant yeah i heard it on the way out. I agree entirely the best way to compensate us getting swamped in the middle of the park would be to drop a central midfielder. Brilliant, utterly clueless from chaps you'd imagine have never played football before.

Ultimately players win points not systems. Rotherham like many other clubs in this league have more money to afford better players than us. Our lads give everything, they gave everything last night. In the space of a 10 days or so, we've had a tough draw with Southend, an away game Cheltenham where we were distrought at the end, an energy sapping trip and game on a quagmire at Accrington on the Saturday where we played 45minutes with 10men, and then a game on the Tuesday night with one of the best teams in the league. all this with one of the smallest squads in the league. Of which of the above games, we've lost 1.

You don't know what you're doing indeed.