Torquay United vs Rotherham United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Torquay United vs Rotherham United

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Plainmoor
Saturday 18th December 2010
KO: 3pm

After the average-at-best performance against Chesterfield last weekend, I, for one, am hoping that we bounce back in our clash against fellow promotion chasers Rotherham. The Millers have had a good start to the season, and sit 4th in the table, behind Chesterfield, Port Vale and Bury. Many people predicted Rotherham to be up there, and expect them to get promoted in May. This is the sort of game which will show just how far we have come under Paul Buckle. Rotherham are one of the heavyweights in the league, and they have one of the (if not the) best forwards in the division, and I'm sure I don't even need to mention his name (but I will anyway; Le Fondre). 'Alf' has bagged an impressive 16 goals already this season, to add to his impressive tally from last season.

LAST 5 SEASONS

2005/06 - League One - 20th place - 52 points
2006/07 - League One - 23rd place - 38 points
2007/08 - League Two - 9th place - 64 points
2008/09 - League Two - 14th place - 58 points (17 points deducted)
2009/10 - League Two - 5th place - 73 points

It's been a tough few years for Millers' fans, in my opinion. They had to move from Millmoor to the Don Valley Stadium, which is terrible, really. Then all sorts of financial troubles hit, which cumulated in the club being deducted 17 points at the start of the 2008/09 season. However, the club had a fantastic season, and would probably have finished 5th without the deduction. Last season was a successful one, but the club lost out in the playoff final at Wembley, to Dagenham and Redbridge 3-2, in a game which saw some fantastic finishes.

HEAD TO HEAD.

Torquay wins - 6
Rotherham wins - 12
Draws - 4

Again, we face a side that, historically, we haven't done that well against. As with Chesterfield last week, the Millers have won double the amount of games that we have in this fixture. The last time we met Rotherham before last season was back in 1999/2000, when we won 2-1 at Plainmoor but lost 1-0 at their place. Last season, Rotherham took 3 points from Plainmoor in a 2-0 smash and grab raid, and we stole a point up there with a late Benyon goal.

FORM (LAST 6 GAMES).

LWLWDW

It looks a bit mixed, Rotherhams form over the last 6 games. This run of games started in a 5-2 home defeat against Huddersfield, but the Millers got back to winning ways with a 2-1 victory over Oxford. Another cup defeat, this time a replay at York ended in a 3-0 win for the non-league side, but again, Ronnie Moores' men came back to win 1-0 at Crewe. A 2-2 draw with Northampton was followed up with a victory against Aldershot in their latest match.

PROBABLE LINE UP.

This is the side which beat Aldershot 1-0 at the weekend:

Andy Warrington

Nick Fenton
Tom Newey
John Mullins
Ryan Cresswell

Jason Taylor
Nicky Law
Will Atkinson
Marcus Marshall

Ryan Taylor
Adam Le Fondre

Subs: Ashworth, Ellison, Harrison, Bradley, Warne, Annison, Pope

PLAYERS TO WATCH.

For me, there are 3 players to watch. Nicky Law is a midfielder who can play across the entire midfield, and I think he is one of the better players at this level. Ryan Cresswell is a very solid defender, but I believe that he went off injured against Aldershot, and is out for quite a while. Ryan Taylor seemed to find his form when he was on loan at Exeter last season. He is a tall striker who will be a challenge in the air. Adam Le Fondre - well, I'm sure his goalscoring record speaks for itself. In two seasons at Rotherham, he has scored 21 & 30 respectively, aswell as 17 for Rochdale in the season before that.

THE MEN IN CHARGE.

T M KETTLE
M J Amphlett and A Rodda
Fourth Official M Mullarkey

Mr Trevor Kettle is the man in the middle for this fixture. Mr Kettle, from Berkshire, has officiated 14 games this season, giving out 4 red cards, and 48 yellows. Last season, he refereed two games which we played in; both ended in draws. He was in charge for the 2-2 draw in the Johnstones Paint Trophy at Southampton, which we lost on penalties, and he was also in charge when we drew 1-1 at Barnet. His last match at Plainmoor was a 2-1 home victory against Huddersfield in League One, in October 2004. I have always remembered this man from the 2003/04 season, where he was in charge when we hosted Rochdale. It ended 3-1 to the Dale, and there were 8 yellow cards and 2 reds. I know it was a long time ago, but my opinion of him has been tarnished since that performance. (I think it's weird as I never remember referees this well - he must have had an absolute nightmare!)

PREDICTION.

Well, with Billy Kee grabbing 3 in midweek, and us being at home, we have to attack, so we need to go 4-4-2 for me, and just attack them!

Gulls 2-1 Millers
BlueYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by BlueYellow »

Postponed. Properly. :(
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Sterling work as ever Nick.

I hope this game is on, as it seems Rotherham might be missing a couple of players - certainly including Cresswell - which might give us an edge. Its all going to depend on how we handle le Fondre. Never actually seen him play in the flesh, I'd hope that Branno and Ellis have the ability to cope but I just don't know - no-one elses centre-backs seem too!

I can't remember what game exactly, but I definately remember Trevor Kettle for having an absolute mare in one of our games (and it wasn't that Rochdale game, so that makes two!!!!), but having a blinder (in my eyes) by sending off 2 Huddersfield Town players in a game at Leyton Orient when we were fighting tooth and nail for promotion with them (I was at Huddersfield Uni at the time and believe me their fans thought he had a mare then!). I also remember him reffing a friendly between us and Argyle - Bedeau's testamonial I believe - where he gave us an ultra-soft penalty. So we could get absolutely anything happening, but generally he'll be bad for one side!

EDIT - Erm, o.k my mind must have been playing tricks on me. Kettle didn't ref another game for us in 03/04, I was thinking of Crossley and Scunthorpe away (awful awful awful refereeing that day). Turns out Kettle was the man in black when we beat Huddersfield in League 1 at Plainmoor, which was a very happy day for me and probably where I remembered him from.
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

Looking at weather currently and tommorrows forcast, i suspect this might not go ahead. More on grounds of difficulty for rotherham to get here and issues with fan safety. Telegraph hill and surrounding area already starting to get a bit slow and it shows no sign of stopping any time soon
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Yeah, steady drizzle of snow in Kingsteignton, and its settling.

:(
gulls_aloud
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by gulls_aloud »

Snow on the beach in shaldon this morning but now blue sky and the gulls are flying high so fingers crossed for tomorrow
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 63,00.html

Picture of the pitch this morning^

no supprise covered in snow, however the playing surface underneath is soft and as things stand Saturday's match with Rotherham goes ahead.

Although people may be needed in the morning to move some excess snow

Hopefully match ON :)
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

I hate snow, was going to come down, however I can't now. See on Rotherham website that the away terrace is closed for health and safety reasons. Guess they'll be in the Grandstand then.

As for the game, I think it will be a very tight game with few chances, 1-1.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

http://www.themillers.co.uk/page/NewsDe ... 41,00.html

Apparently were only giving Rotherham fans the Seats for this one which seems abit strange.

If its on I'd be happy with a draw. Rotherham are on form and a bit of a bogey team for us.
HardofHerringGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by HardofHerringGull »

AlexGulls wrote:http://www.themillers.co.uk/page/NewsDe ... 41,00.html

Apparently were only giving Rotherham fans the Seats for this one which seems abit strange.

If its on I'd be happy with a draw. Rotherham are on form and a bit of a bogey team for us.

The away end is where they will dump all the snow from the pitch, I would imagine!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Rearranged for 1st March, 7:45.

If this weather continues it'll be Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday for a couple of weeks later in the season :(
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

NickGull wrote:Rearranged for 1st March, 7:45.

If this weather continues it'll be Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday for a couple of weeks later in the season :(
If this weather continues it will be Saturday- Tuesday-Saturday EVERY week from January to May. :O

And that isn't including progression in the Cup with replays. :O :O
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Here we are then, the original matchday thread for this coming Tuesday.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I am not going into predicting the result,as my predictions are worse than my grammer,i just hope for those who buy programmes the club does a bit better than Burton home.

As for on the pitch just hope that the whole team/fans come out positive and fighting,if you know what i mean,a play-off place is waiting for us,we have to go out and grab it,COYY
Formerly known as forevertufc
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

At least there won't be snow to clear from the pitch. :-D