Chesterfield vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Agree with most of Jazzy Jeff's report. Can't complain with the result. Chesterfield are strong at the back, sharp in midfield and caused problems with their intelligent link-up play and movement in attack. They were worthy winners. Though that being said, at 1-0 we could have pinched something but unfortunately left our 'A' game at home.

We actually started quite well, moved the ball around nicely and edged the first 20 minutes, but it was downhill from there. Chesterfield stepped up a gear and pegged us back in our own half. Our passing fell to pieces, we were being picked apart and Lester stuck them in front. The pattern was similar in the second half until Gritton came on and we switched to 4-4-2. We at least started exert pressure on our opponents but we lacked the killer instinct in the final third and were a little fortunate not to be caught on the Chesterfield counter.

Bevan made a few decent saves in the second half. Would have to see the goal again before I can start playing the blame game, but at first glance, it didn't look like there was much Scotty could do. Mansell was turned inside a few times by their tricky left winger, but he probably would have faired no worse than Robbo. Would still like to see him back in midfield if we can accomodate him. Nicholson wasn't at his best. Didn't get much protection, but was beaten a couple of times down his side and his set-pieces was below-par. Branston and Ellis were my choices for MOTM. Neither exceptional, but they were both solid and often exposed by our flimsy midfield. In the latter stages they coped admirably despite being left alone at the back as we searched for an equaliser.

The report cards of Oastler, O'Kane and Wroe all read the same. Started brightly, but quickly faded and struggled to compete against their opponents. Wroe survived the full 90, but he was just as ineffective as O'Kane and Oastler who probably produced their weakest performances to date in a yellow (well actually black today) shirt. But in defence of the midfield trio, it was the first time I've seen them outplayed. Credit to Chesterfield because that was probably where the game was won.

Zebroski was like a pack of Revels. Never quite sure what to expect. I had the misfortune of standing in front of a couple of people who criticised him from start to finish. "He's s**t, never scores, can't control the ball and doesn't track back." I was close to building a strong defence case for Zebs (maybe not the correct phrase to use at this particular time) but kept it locked in. I am after all a keyboard warrior. Unfortunately today, he was frustratingly inconsistent. To the delight of the aforementioned, his control was at times disappointing, and there were occasions he lost possession cheaply. But to counter those mistakes, there were times when he had the beating of the full-back and created half-chances. He was our biggest attacking threat. In fact, he was probably our only attacking threat. Most of our players don't like running with the ball. They like to go sidewards or backwards. But Zebs at least gets his head down and just runs towards goal. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. But at least he sets sail in the right direction.

On the oppsite flank, Stevens had a poor game. He's the current target of the boo-boys. He looked out of his depth today. Just didn't work for him. It's not like he doesn't try. But he's just not good enough to start regularly at this level. He's more of an impact player from the bench for me. But then without Hemmings (presumably injured?), Buckle didn't have many options. Rose has looked short of match fitness since arriving, while Macklin hasn't done much at all to convince me that he's worth a place in the side. He came on today, but was barely noticeable. It's like being left with three blue boxes on Deal Or No Deal. I guess this highlights the lack of quality in depth in our squad.

In attack, on his Chris Todd, Benyon didn't get any change from Chesterfield's centre-backs. He was completely dominated. There are games when he probably even surprises himself at the amount of 50-50s he wins, but today, it was more like 99-1 in Chesterfield's favour. However, when you pump aimless high balls towards him, what do you expect? Gritton came on and made a difference. We looked much better in a 4-4-2 with Gritts winning a few flicks and taking some pressure off Benyon's shoulders. It wasn't enough, but I was pleased with his contribution. One inventive pass into the box was begging to be tucked home by Wroe, but an unaware Benyon took it away from the onrushing midfielder. The problem with Gritts is he has never been a natural goalscorer. We're struggling to replace Rendell, but then unless we beat Carlisle and get handed a trip to Old Trafford, we're not going to get a Rendell down here on a permanent contract. That's life I guess.

Perhaps the biggest plus of the afternoon was Lathrope who impressed after replacing Oaster. He was always available, passed very tidily and looks a neat player who also likes to tackle. His biggest weakness is his lack of height. Now I've been told before that size doesn't matter, but fielding the likes of Lathrope, O'Kane, Stevens and Benyon in the same team is going to pose problems. No matter they do with their shortcomings.

Two years on the trot we've come away from this fixture without any points, or even goals. But we didn't fold against one of the strongest sides in the division despite not quite being at the races. We're two players away from being a promotion-challenging side. Ironically, the two players we need are Rendell and Carayol.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

tommyg,

agree about rendell, but not carayol.

i only say that as hes not exactly setting the world on fire at lincoln.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

What a poor way to lose the unbeaten run. I won't write too much, as I'm tired, but I don't think they deserved to win, or we deserved to win or lose. A tight game and they took a sloppy chance and that was that. For the last 25 minutes or so it was all us, but they kept us out well, despite us never really looking like scoring. Benyon was all alone up front, O'Kane was alot deeper than the usual 4-4-1-1 role, and the midfield was anonymous for prolonged periods.

One thing Buckle needs to learn is that pumping it up to Benyon's head is never going to work. And one more thing, I had the pleasure of being stood infront of the group of fans at the back who were constantly giving shit to Stevens. I thought he was one of our better players in the 2nd half, which says it all really.

Poor day at the office. :(
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I wasn't there, so I can only offer semi-factual positives.

It seems that, without being good (or bad) we managed to run the rule over the team who are 10 points ahead of us and top of the league for a total of 45 minutes (first 20 and last 25, judging from posts here and what I heard on the wireless.)

They beat us 1-0 with a nothing sort of goal, could just as easily have been 0-0 and a decent point and clean sheet away from home.

The filth got beaten, which is always nice.

A question for those who go: If we play as 'well' as we did today, what will Rotherham do to us?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

tommyg wrote:Agree with most of Jazzy Jeff's report. Can't complain with the result. Chesterfield are strong at the back, sharp in midfield and caused problems with their intelligent link-up play and movement in attack. They were worthy winners. Though that being said, at 1-0 we could have pinched something but unfortunately left our 'A' game at home.

We actually started quite well, moved the ball around nicely and edged the first 20 minutes, but it was downhill from there. Chesterfield stepped up a gear and pegged us back in our own half. Our passing fell to pieces, we were being picked apart and Lester stuck them in front. The pattern was similar in the second half until Gritton came on and we switched to 4-4-2. We at least started exert pressure on our opponents but we lacked the killer instinct in the final third and were a little fortunate not to be caught on the Chesterfield counter.

Bevan made a few decent saves in the second half. Would have to see the goal again before I can start playing the blame game, but at first glance, it didn't look like there was much Scotty could do. Mansell was turned inside a few times by their tricky left winger, but he probably would have faired no worse than Robbo. Would still like to see him back in midfield if we can accomodate him. Nicholson wasn't at his best. Didn't get much protection, but was beaten a couple of times down his side and his set-pieces was below-par. Branston and Ellis were my choices for MOTM. Neither exceptional, but they were both solid and often exposed by our flimsy midfield. In the latter stages they coped admirably despite being left alone at the back as we searched for an equaliser.

The report cards of Oastler, O'Kane and Wroe all read the same. Started brightly, but quickly faded and struggled to compete against their opponents. Wroe survived the full 90, but he was just as ineffective as O'Kane and Oastler who probably produced their weakest performances to date in a yellow (well actually black today) shirt. But in defence of the midfield trio, it was the first time I've seen them outplayed. Credit to Chesterfield because that was probably where the game was won.

Zebroski was like a pack of Revels. Never quite sure what to expect. I had the misfortune of standing in front of a couple of people who criticised him from start to finish. "He's s**t, never scores, can't control the ball and doesn't track back." I was close to building a strong defence case for Zebs (maybe not the correct phrase to use at this particular time) but kept it locked in. I am after all a keyboard warrior. Unfortunately today, he was frustratingly inconsistent. To the delight of the aforementioned, his control was at times disappointing, and there were occasions he lost possession cheaply. But to counter those mistakes, there were times when he had the beating of the full-back and created half-chances. He was our biggest attacking threat. In fact, he was probably our only attacking threat. Most of our players don't like running with the ball. They like to go sidewards or backwards. But Zebs at least gets his head down and just runs towards goal. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. But at least he sets sail in the right direction.

On the oppsite flank, Stevens had a poor game. He's the current target of the boo-boys. He looked out of his depth today. Just didn't work for him. It's not like he doesn't try. But he's just not good enough to start regularly at this level. He's more of an impact player from the bench for me. But then without Hemmings (presumably injured?), Buckle didn't have many options. Rose has looked short of match fitness since arriving, while Macklin hasn't done much at all to convince me that he's worth a place in the side. He came on today, but was barely noticeable. It's like being left with three blue boxes on Deal Or No Deal. I guess this highlights the lack of quality in depth in our squad.

In attack, on his Chris Todd, Benyon didn't get any change from Chesterfield's centre-backs. He was completely dominated. There are games when he probably even surprises himself at the amount of 50-50s he wins, but today, it was more like 99-1 in Chesterfield's favour. However, when you pump aimless high balls towards him, what do you expect? Gritton came on and made a difference. We looked much better in a 4-4-2 with Gritts winning a few flicks and taking some pressure off Benyon's shoulders. It wasn't enough, but I was pleased with his contribution. One inventive pass into the box was begging to be tucked home by Wroe, but an unaware Benyon took it away from the onrushing midfielder. The problem with Gritts is he has never been a natural goalscorer. We're struggling to replace Rendell, but then unless we beat Carlisle and get handed a trip to Old Trafford, we're not going to get a Rendell down here on a permanent contract. That's life I guess.

Perhaps the biggest plus of the afternoon was Lathrope who impressed after replacing Oaster. He was always available, passed very tidily and looks a neat player who also likes to tackle. His biggest weakness is his lack of height. Now I've been told before that size doesn't matter, but fielding the likes of Lathrope, O'Kane, Stevens and Benyon in the same team is going to pose problems. No matter they do with their shortcomings.

Two years on the trot we've come away from this fixture without any points, or even goals. But we didn't fold against one of the strongest sides in the division despite not quite being at the races. We're two players away from being a promotion-challenging side. Ironically, the two players we need are Rendell and Carayol.

What an excellent, informative and entertaining report from another pair of eyes at the game in tommyg. You put a lot of thought and effort in there. Well done. :clap: :bow: :clap:

Keep to that level of reporting and you tommyg can consider yourself nailed on for an earned second member of the month award in the very near future.

My vote this month has gone to NickGull for his outstanding match day threads which also require thought and effort together with research. However, I look forward with interest to more posts from you tommyg and you could well edge past Nick and be member of the month for December. Either one of you in my honest opinion would be deserving of the award. :clap:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
HardofHerringGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by HardofHerringGull »

NickGull wrote:What a poor way to lose the unbeaten run. I won't write too much, as I'm tired, but I don't think they deserved to win, or we deserved to win or lose. A tight game and they took a sloppy chance and that was that. For the last 25 minutes or so it was all us, but they kept us out well, despite us never really looking like scoring. Benyon was all alone up front, O'Kane was alot deeper than the usual 4-4-1-1 role, and the midfield was anonymous for prolonged periods.

One thing Buckle needs to learn is that pumping it up to Benyon's head is never going to work. And one more thing, I had the pleasure of being stood infront of the group of fans at the back who were constantly giving sh*t to Stevens. I thought he was one of our better players in the 2nd half, which says it all really.

Poor day at the office. :(

I go along with NickGull on this one. For the entire first half, we just pumped balls up to benyon, who lost 99% of the battles. We continued to do this untill we introduced Gritton~playing with ten men from then on! From that moment~after bringing on a so-called "Target Man"~ we then preceeded to play the ball on the ground?????????? The last 25 minutes were indeed all ours~ that's what happens when we play that way. I was hoping that Buckle might have noticed that! So, as has been said before, if our game plan is to just pump balls up to Benyon for the forseeable future, then this winter is going to be somewhat bleak. And not just because of the weather!

Good turn out from the fans~though very quiet again.

Chesterfield have a great ground there, and they did exceptionally well to clear that amount of snow, well done them.

As for us. Onwards and.....................

On a positive note, Chesterfield are a very good team, and I would expect to see them promoted~possibly as Champions!
Philly8mt
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Gritton

Post by Philly8mt »

Hello .. Chesterfield fan here .. Don't shoot!

Thanks for the kind words above. We are chuffed with our new home and credit must go to the club for the sheer amount of snow that had to be shifted to get the game on. Due to our recent dip in form and injuries (davies, morgan, hunt, lomax) there were a few of us who would have been quite happy for the game to be postponed to be honest!
Thought you looked a good outfit to be fair, stroked the ball around to feet and kept possession well. As a few of you alluded to it seemed to fall a bit flat in our final third for you fortunately/unfortunately! Our defence consisted of an out of Favour ageing CB, our midfielder captain, a CB at RB and a LB just back from a year out with injury!
I don't think Gritts has any future at our place but you seemed to perk up when he arrived on the pitch? Do you plan to keep him?
Anyway that's enough rambling and good look against the Millers and for the rest of the season chaps :))
Philly8mt
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Gritton

Post by Philly8mt »

Luck even! Deary me :-((