Chesterfield vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Janners 2 Inbreds 0
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Trojan 67 wrote:Inbreds 2 Other Inbreds 0
Corrected it for you :)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

happytorq wrote: Corrected it for you :)

:lol:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

back in the play offs :clap:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

FT : 1-0 :(
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

bo**ocks.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

FT : Janners 2 Inbreds 0
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Look on the bright side :

Port Vale and Bury lost, Shrewsbury and Cheltenham drew with each other and we're still in a playoff position.

Wins against Rotherham, Cheltenham and Bury are now vital.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Oh well, that was a fairly meek surrender of our recent good form!

As i said before, first 20 mins we were o.k. Some cracking football, great passing centring around o'kane as usual, and you could see the hunger to play good football by the way Wroe was always asking for the ball to be played to feet. But for all the pretty patterns, we created nothing bar a header from benyon from a throw in which bounced in the 6 yard box - the home keeper was able to block the ball at point blank range and the chance was gone.

Pretty soon, we completely lost the midfield. Danny Whittaker - an outstanding player at this level - was finding space and testing mansell. Jack Lester was giving a master class in playin with his back to goal. A couple of last ditch blocks from manse were keeping them at bay, but the ball just kept coming back. Eventually, the ball broke out to Talbot on the right wing, who cut inside and crossed to the near post. Lester nipped in and got a touch, which took it past Bevan via a flick off ellis.

Almost immediately we forced a super save from Lee with a driven free kick from Nico, and shortly after Zebs blazed over, but despite no further home chances we were badly overrun in midfield with Oastler and Stevens having particularly poor games.

The second half didnt start much better, and soon after Oastler was withdrawn for Lathrope much to the dirision of the travelling fans who were calling for Stevens. Lathrope however was one of few positives for me - composed on the ball and played some good passes. Only when o'kane was withdrawn for Gritton did we start to apply any pressure.

The home fans got restless as they now had to endure being beaten in midfield and nothing happening up front, but in all honesty little was happening at the other end. Plenty of possession now, but few chances. Zebs came alive in the second half, but was up against a tough competitor in Robertson. On his forays inside, once he blasted over from way out, the other he cut onto his left foot in the box but found his low shot saved by the outstretched boot of Lee. That - aside from benyon almost latching onto a through ball from mansell on a very quiet day for him - was all we could muster second half. Chesterfield did little better, when a long ranger drawing a decent save from Bevan in what was a damp squib of a game in all honesty.

Unfortunately the tactics were wrong today. It didn't work with Stevens on the left at all, but i can see why Buckle went with him after an impressive cameo at Wycombe. For all his huffing and puffing, Gritton isn't the player he once was and we should be looking to get rid in January. Of the other subs, Lathrope was suprisigly good but Macklin was the usual shocker.

All of the back 4 played o.k. Manse was probably my MOTM as he worked as hard as ever and produced some good blocks. Nico did well too, although had no support from Stevens and his delivery was a little off (his long throw run up was severly hampered by the snow lining the pitch!). Branno and Ellis didn't do much wrong, but there were no really eye catching performances.

Wroe started o.k and faded badly, while Oastler and Stevens never really started and were rightly subbed. Zebs played a lot better second half, but had the demeanour of a man with other things on his mind. O'kane tried to make things happen but got nowhere, while benyon worked hard as usual but might as well have been standing in Sheffield city centre seeing how isolated he was from the rest of the team.

A pretty miserable day after my euphoric posting after the Wycombe game, but I suppose there is no shame in losing here. We need to take advantage of the reasonably favourable fixture list (3 home games and away at the bottom club who cannot win at home) over Xmas to consolidate our play off chances. I would suggest though, that mr buckle check the piggy bank for reinforcements in January as today showed that when our system doesn't work, we dont really have a plan b to fall back on.

Hopefully that gives you a picture of how i think the game went, I'll be interested to read the views of others once I've escaped this pub car park and driven the 200 or so miles home!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Thanks again to our current member of the month Jeff for the report. :clap:

An excellent report that fits in well with the summary from Radio Devon commentators Julian Gaunt and Dave Thomas.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Buckle on NOW Radio Devon
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Basically Bucks disappointed with the result but pleased with the team performance and acknowledges that our play in the final third was lacking today.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Good report from Jeff.

If Stevens starts my heart always drops. He is a luxury player designed for bringing on towards the end of the game against a tiring defence IMHO.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

yellow wrote:Good report from Jeff.

If Stevens starts my heart always drops. He is a luxury player designed for bringing on towards the end of the game against a tiring defence IMHO.
With the above I agree. However, whatever the players on the pitch at the time, I do my best to encourage said players. After all, what are you doing when barracking our players ?

Confidence drops together with performance and the whole team effort suffers.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

It's been quiet on here today and this last week.

Don't say Christmas shopping, you did that last Saturday after the postponement.

You didn't and haven't ?

Oh dear,the gate's not looking good then for the Rotherham game. :(