Chesterfield vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Chesterfield vs Torquay United

Post by Plymouth Gull »

b2net Stadium
Saturday 11th December 2010
KO: 3pm

A weekend off last week as our league game against Burton Albion was postponed because parts of the pitch near the Grandstand and the Family Stand were frozen. The weather hasn't really improved down here, which makes me think that, with the weather being worse up north anyway, the chances of this game being on are slim. Still, with it being a new ground they may have some equipment (not undersoil heating, but something similar?) which could help the condition of the pitch if it is frozen in any places. I am really hoping that this one is on, for two reasons, the first being that if we start losing fixtures now, then we could have a big fixture backlog in the later months. The second is that its a new stadium and I'm looking forward to visiting it. This won't be possible on a Tuesday night, so I'd like for this one to be on! Chesterfield had very successfully moved into their new home, but recent home defeats against Burton Albion and Oxford United have caused some concern around the locals. Since the move from Saltergate, the club have benefitted from increased attendances, with their average being over 6,000 this season, while it was around 3,000 at Saltergate. The Spireites have had a good start to the season, and sit 2nd in the table. Here is a link to their fans forum :

http://www.thecfss.co.uk/forums/index.p ... howforum=3

LAST 5 SEASONS.

2005/06 - League One - 16th place - 56 points
2006/07 - League One - 21st place - 47 points - RELEGATED TO LEAGUE 2
2007/08 - League Two - 8th place - 69 points
2008/09 - League Two - 10th place - 63 points
2009/10 - League Two - 8th place - 70 points

Since the Spireites joined League Two in 2007, they have been a club with 3 consecutive pushes towards the top 7, but none of them have materialised into anything more than 8th place. Both in 2007/08 and last season, they came so close to the playoffs, but missed out both times. This season, however, since the move from Saltergate to the b2net, the club have done fantastically, but a recent downturn in form has seen them slip from top spot. They will be looking to continue their good start and get promoted back to the league they vacated 3 seasons ago.

HEAD TO HEAD.

Chesterfield wins - 15
Torquay wins - 8
Draws - 11

Our record against Chesterfield isn't the best, with them winning nearly double the amount of games we've won in this fixture. It isn't pretty reading, but the two clubs have rarely met in the past decade. Since the millenium, there have only been 6 meetings between the sides, with Chesterfield winning two, to our one, and 3 draws. One worrying fact is that in all our meetings with the Spireites, we have never won at their place. Saltergate wasn't a good ground for us, but I'm hoping with the b2net being their new home, we can change our fortunes in this fixture.

FORM (LAST 6 GAMES).

WWLWLL

When you look at that form and see that they've won 3 games out of 6, I find it hard to understand that their fans could be a bit worried. Still, two consecutive home defeats, and being beaten by Burton in the FA Cup seems to be a bit of a concern in those parts, so y'know. Two wins against Accrington (5-2) and Harrow Borough (0-2) in the FA Cup were followed by a first defeat at the b2net, when Burton came to town. They then won at Aldershot, lost at home to Oxford and then Burton again. They'll be looking to bounce back, no doubt.

PROBABLE LINE UP.

This is the side that lost to Burton in the FA Cup.

Lee
Robertson
Ford
Whitaker
Allott
Gray
Mattis
Lester
Talbot
Davies
Smalley

Subs: Redmond, Lowry, Breckin, Bowery, Morris, Boden, Darikwa

PLAYERS TO WATCH.

I think theres quite a few in this squad; it'll be hard to only pick a few. Danny Whitaker seems to score quite a few from midfield, so will need to be watched. Jack Lester, Craig Davies, Drew Talbot have all shown they can score goals, so will need to be marked tightly. Davies especially has shown that he is easily good enough at this level, scoring an impressive 12 league goals already.

THE MEN IN CHARGE.

J MOSS
R J West and R Wootton
Fourth Official D J H England

Jonathon Moss is the man in the middle for tomorrows game. Moss has done 17 games already this season.. he has officiated both other Devon clubs in away fixtures aswell, and both won, so hopefully he'll make it a treble with us winning tomorrow. This is the second visit to the b2net for Mr Moss, as he took charge of the 5-5 draw with Crewe in October. In his games so far, he has given 32 yellow cards, with 3 reds to boot. He has only refereed us 3 times in his career, and none have been at Plainmoor. Twice he refereed in the 2005/06 season, in defeats at Grimsby and Darlington, and last season, he took charge of our 2-2 draw at Vale Park.

PREDICTION.

They're a bit shaky, we're on form.

I think we'll come home with something.

Spireites 1-1 Torquay
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I had a call from someone connected to the Club today. I was told that Chesterfield called at 10 this morning to say the game is on.

Edit: Just read the other thread and it looks like BletchleyGull had the news pretty fast :Oops:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Hopefully there are no last minute problems and all get to and from the game safely with no let-downs or breakdowns.

Difficult one to call. If our unbeaten run ends then Chesterfield is the place. I'll take a draw right now. Will the conditions make the game error strew ? If they do then it could be a high scoring game.

2-2

If not then 3-2 either way, hopefully to us.
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

meeting in tap on sheffield station at 11, prob a pint in rutland arms, red lion and derby tup in chesterfield

fell pretty positive today, just hope we can carry on where we left of at wycombe and really get into them, 1-2 win, but would be happy with a draw really, benyon and zebs
still keeping the faith
HardofHerringGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by HardofHerringGull »

bixieupnorth wrote:meeting in tap on sheffield station at 11, prob a pint in rutland arms, red lion and derby tup in chesterfield

fell pretty positive today, just hope we can carry on where we left of at wycombe and really get into them, 1-2 win, but would be happy with a draw really, benyon and zebs

See you in the Derby Tup Bixie! :-D
gulls_aloud
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by gulls_aloud »

So happy and relieved this game is on. And when I reached the end of Nick's marvellous prose I felt even better because he agrees with me (as does everyone else, it would appear) that this will be a draw - a hard-fought well deserved point. Benyon to score, but his goal is (wrongly)ruled off side, Zebs is yellow carded for leaping to his defence and as he's on a second yellow (another soft one for shirt pulling) he goes off and Danny comes on and scores from afar but only after O'Kane, Ellis, and Wroe have hit the woodwork. COYY!!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

For some reason, I can feel a 2-3 defeat coming on, a heroic performance from our lads but undone by a late sucker punch. We've been great on the road, but would happily take a point today.

It's a good thing that the game is on, as it seems Chesterfield have a couple of players carrying knocks - most importantly Craig Davies - which could give us more of a chance.
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

Good luck to the lads today! :scarf:

Cheers

Bruce
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Can see a lot of goals today, think we will go behind twice but come back and earn a deserved draw. Benyon double.

COME ON YOU YELLOWS!! :scarf:
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

cant c any reason why we cant come away with 3 points, as usual positive and carry on where we left off a couple of weeks ago,enjoy the 3 points guys and gals and looking forward to a great xmas 2, by end of year we will be sitting pretty in the league...... simon :bow: :clap: :scarf:
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Fairly decent turn out today from the gulls, although it might just look that way because we are crammed into a tiny block on the touchline rather than behind the goal.

Team just announced, Stevens in for Hemmings and benyon in for kee, otherwise as the Walsall game I think.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Team v Chesterfield :

Bevan, Mansell, Ellis, Branston, Nicholson; Zebroski, Oastler, Wroe, Stevens; O'Kane; Benyon.

Commentators : Julian Gaunt, Dave Thomas.

Sorry, didn't hear the subs.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Subs
20 Martin Gritton
08 Billy Kee
21 Romone Rose
22 Damon Lathrope
05 Chris Robertson
16 Danny Potter
14 Lloyd Macklin
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Davies not in the squad for Chesterfield. Positive for us.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Team v Chesterfield :

Bevan, Mansell, Ellis, Branston, Nicholson; Zebroski, Oastler, Wroe, Stevens; O'Kane; Benyon.

Subs : Potter, Robertson, Macklin, Lathrope, Rose, Kee, Gritton.

Commentators : Julian Gaunt, Dave Thomas.

Edit.