Torquay United vs Burton Albion

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

forevertufc wrote:Fantastic result,what i like about the team is we are looking a lot tighter as a team unit,think Stanley in the middle has brought some real bite in there that was lacking before.

pitch did not help the game which at times i thought was a bit flat,however who cares three wins from three,keep it going,COYY :clap:

pitch did not help the game which at times i thought was a bit flat.

Really. Hmm I thought we had to play upstairs. Maybe that's where we keep going wrong
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I had a pound on Northampton. Useless barstewards.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Burton fan referred to us as average on their forum :no:
Maybe, maybe not, but we still beat 'em.
:clap:
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Great win!

only real negative is attendance tonight
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

ferrarilover wrote:I also would like to add my congratulations to Morecambe FC who earned an incredible 3-3 draw away at Premier League Northampton Town... Oh wait, that's not right, is it?

Matt.
One quick look at thehotelend shows they are now wanting a new manager, a new keeper, a new target man, 2 new central defenders and... shock, horror... even the central midfield got a slating a couple times!

They might as well sell the club and start again!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Just got home so here's my match summary:

Conditions very heavy and not the highest quality game in the world as a result. Scrambled winner from Robbo was well desrved on the balace of play. Burton had much of the ball but no cutting edge. Player ratings for those who want to know:

Potter 7/10 Only one save to make
Mansell 7/10 Sound game
Robbo 7/10 Effective in defence and scored the goal
Branston 8 /10 Won everything in the air in the second half when they pressed
LRT 6/10 Good in the tackle but wayward with passing
O'Kane 6/10 Not able to impose himself - kept getting barged off the ball
Oastler 8 /10 Excellent pairing with Stanley in defence and going forward too
Stanley 8 /10 My MOTM
Zebs 8 /10 Very energetic and dangerous
Kee 7/10 Led the line well but few chances to score
Robbinson 7/10 Excellent penetration in first half,no product in the second

Stevens 6/10 No real impact when he came on
Nicho 7/10 Shored up the left side when he came on
Gilligan 6/10 Insufficient time to make an impact

Referee 7/10 Good performance but Zebs pen looked a cert

Crowd 4/10 Pathetic turnout for a potential playoff side and little atmosphere

For some reason I cnt get rid of the smilies - in each case I had given a score of eight out of ten!
Last edited by Modgull on 15 Feb 2011, 23:50, edited 2 times in total.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Didn't think we looked that great tonight, not trying to put down a good overall performance but really felt we should have won 2 or 3-0, zebs and okane both missed clear opportunities.

Branston was like a man on a mission today, never seen him so up for it, great to see and the loanees had a really good game though Robinson went a bit anonymous in the second half (partly due to the very wet left flank)

We deserved to win, but should've scored more!
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Gulliball wrote:I had a pound on Northampton. Useless barstewards.
How foolish, you can't expect the mighty Northampton to do much in this league, they would be fine in the premier of course! :bow: :bow: :aww: :lol:
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I'm quite tempted to sign up to the Northampton forum and give a completely rational reply to something, just to see what the response would be...
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

cambgull wrote:I'm quite tempted to sign up to the Northampton forum and give a completely rational reply to something, just to see what the response would be...
The mods would probably kick you off the forum. Just been there myself. It becomes more and more obvious that none of them are very bright at all. One win and they're the world's best team, one loss and they need a new squad, fans, manager, ground, board etc, fecking reactionary lunatics. What is also becoming obvious is that they don't dislike Gilligan's island for leaving, they HATE him for ever being at the club and I can't seem to work out why. I can only see that a few of them blame him single handedly for bringing them back into L2.

I love their continued attitude to every other side in this division. No, Morecambe are not particularly good this season, but they are not "non-league rubbish" as one poster suggests. They seem to believe that they are some sort of gift from Heaven to L2 football and that all other sides should feel privileged to share a division with them. It seems also that they think this is the first time we have been in the Football League. Honestly guys, we spent 96 years in the FL and two in the Conference, we are not in the FL by luck, it is our rightful place, the Conference was the blip in the history books, not the L2 years.

Been on CTMD too, where were we described as average? To be fair, tonight's performance was pretty average, but we were still the better side and I haven't read anywhere that the Brewers are disappointed with the way they played, so I can only presume that a not-very-good TUFC performance beat a half decent Burton performance with an inspired goalkeeper at the back and a non-penalty as well as restricting their 'attack' to one fairly tame shot on target. By my reckoning, that's 2 saves Potter has made in 270 minutes, I do hope he's on reduced wages. =D

On the subject of the ref, didn't think he was up to much tonight, but for the first time in ages, he was shit FOR us. Must have given us a half dozen free kicks for absolutely nothing at all, but appeared to be a fairly straightforward penalty shout. I am, as always, happy to be proven wrong on this by video replay on the Beeb.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

A hard working performance on a sticky playing surface. We deserved the win, no doubt about it. Stanley earned his MOTM and was impressed with Oastler who did his job in front of the back four. Branston's been going up for our corners in the last couple of matches, was it preparation for the Burton match ? He looked determined to score and thought he had eventually done it but Robbo (Chris) had the final touch.

Robbo (Jake) had an excellent first half in front of the Popside and on numerous occasions the right fullback was chasing fresh air. The Ref bottled it with the penalty decision and if it wasn't should have booked Zebs for "diving". Why the ref played almost 6 minutes of stoppage time when only 3 were put up on the board, only he knows.

As usual, we were our shaky selves in the last 10 giving away needless freekicks and possession in dangerous areas but came through with the win. Disappointed about the low attendance, but with 3 wins on the spin am hoping for 2000+ on Saturday.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"